• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

39 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

Here today. Off to the vault tomorrow. 

I wondered why the accompanying wooden box had a slab size hole instead of a capsule hole. The unnumbered COA states that the 400 mintage coins were sent to PCGS initially, hence the slab not a capsule. 389 achieved PR70.

Now it’s in hand, was the almighty fight on Sunday and subsequent shaking and stress worth it? It’s a beauty!!
I got my half sovs today and they are already on their way for crossover...fingers crossed!

19 minutes ago, Silverman2U said:

That coin is what £22k!? At that price probably you can get anything made especially for it. ;) 

Not quite. The £22K coin was better value for money at the weight of 71.3 grams, whereas mine is the same weight as a 39.94 grams quintuple sovereign. The £22K coin only has a mintage of 63 as well, compared to the 400 of the above coin. However, it is ungraded and has at least a hairline on each side of the coin. 

The coin in the photo is true to the original 1839 reverse design in that it has that year’s roman numerals on it.  The larger Alderney Una replaces the roman numerals with the words TWENTY POUNDS in a thick ugly font, so not for me. The image of Her Majesty on the Alderney coin doesn’t compare to the ones we’ve been used to on Royal Mint issues though. The Alderney coins were minted by the Commonwealth Mint.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

4 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Now it’s in hand, was the almighty fight on Sunday and subsequent shaking and stress worth it? It’s a beauty!!
I got my half sovs today and they are already on their way for crossover...fingers crossed!

Definitely worth it Andrew. I believe it can sometimes be harder to crossover from NGC to PCGS and achieve the same grades, but you know the game and good luck to you.

Own it and Love it.

6 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

Not quite. The £22K coin was better value for money at the weight of 71.3 grams, whereas mine is the same weight as a 39.94 grams quintuple sovereign. The £22K coin only has a mintage of 63 as well, compared to the 400 of the above coin. However, it is ungraded and has at least a hairline on each side of the coin. 

The coin in the photo is true to the original 1839 reverse design in that it has that year’s roman numerals on it.  The larger Alderney Una replaces the roman numerals with the words TWENTY POUNDS in a thick ugly font, so not for me. The image of Her Majesty on the Alderney coin doesn’t compare to the ones we’ve been used to on Royal Mint issues though. The Alderney coins were minted by the Commonwealth Mint.

Wow. Some of you guys and girls just blind me with science (well knowledge), feel like like I’m in junior school here, so much to learn in the serious coin world. I’ve not plucked up courage or conviction to enter the graded world yet.

Awesome coin though.

2 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

Definitely worth it Andrew. I believe it can sometimes be harder to crossover from NGC to PCGS and achieve the same grades, but you know the game and good luck to you.

My lcscracks open ngc to send into pics, you can get half grade upgrades....I've heard of moving up, cacs and then $3000 coins selling at auction for $13,000 with a half grade higher and can for the sake of maybe $200 - $300 costs.

4 years ago I too started in that same junior school @ZigZag. I was buying Brilliant Uncirculated coins, then silver proofs by 2017,  silver or gold proofs by 2018. I like the larger sizes though, so my collection is small with a dash of wow factor.

If you sell ungraded (raw) coins there may be a difference of opinion on their condition between buyer and seller. A graded coin has been professionally assessed and hopefully buyer and seller abide by that grading and accept it as is.

The info on the Alderney Una coins was available to read on the Coin Cabinet auction 27 listings in the descriptions of each coin, so I’m no expert.

But I have learnt a lot over the years at the School of @Numistacker - his YouTube videos are an education in themselves. I hope to see you in class  👍

Own it and Love it.

8 hours ago, ZigZag said:

So I completed the first part of my kids sovereign date run in today’s post and one different sovereign added by @ilovesilverireallydo

Why a date run, my logic if I give them as birthday presents in date runs, it will hold sentimental value, that should  🙏evoke some thought before ever considering disposal - now there’s long term inheritance planning for you 😂

Your kid is very lucky to have you as a parent. I hope he or she catches the coin collecting bug and these coins survive beyond the day your kid discovers beer 🤪

Own it and Love it.