• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

11 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Other items received today.

Thanks to @richatthecroft for the lions and via @Roy‘s charity event the Numistacker N for NHS sample coin.

Thanks to @Troy77 for the Baird Bar.

And finally, some eBay pickups that will be on their way to PCGS so they fit into my PCGS quarter and half collections!

49FE16AF-69BA-412D-9040-4898BC201077.jpeg

ha my 1980 1/2 got 69 my full got a 70 I should have gotten yours for a perfect set :(:(

6 hours ago, GoldElliott said:

It's not in the best condition

lol it gets Silverfingers OCD proof seal of approval, its one of the nicest I seen in a long time, my favourite part of it is where the date is and the surrounding, I just had a really nice coin arrive (and my largest yet) its too dark here now to photograph it, it will have to wait till tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

lol it gets Silverfingers OCD proof seal of approval, its one of the nicest I seen in a long time, my favourite part of it is where the date is and the surrounding, I just had a really nice coin arrive (and my largest yet) its too dark here now to photograph it, it will have to wait till tomorrow.

Well thank you but I was quite disappointed with the obverse wear but it does have a beautiful dark slight blue toning like a lot of .925 Aussie silvers to make up for it. It really is a stunning design! I think it's in my top 5 coins I own. A real shame Australia never made half crowns as their .925 is so nice to look at.

58 minutes ago, GoldElliott said:

Some nice world silvers courtesy of @ilovesilverireallydo

Mostly European .835s including some nice Spanish silver and pre-unification Italian states :)

My absolute favourite though and one of my top 5 coins for sure is the Polish 10 zlotych. Lovely size and weight to it and look at that stunning obverse design. Love the massive moustache on the reverse too

IMG_20200501_1108070.jpg

IMG_20200501_1108183.jpg

IMG_20200501_1108237.jpg

IMG_20200501_1108506.jpg

IMG_20200501_1108566.jpg

IMG_20200501_1108347.jpg

IMG_20200501_1108412.jpg

I have been looking at quite a few Polish 1930's coins, I love all of them, finding them in good condition is the fun part, especially the ones with Queen Jadwiga on, I really like your Pilsudski.

4 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

I have been looking at quite a few Polish 1930's coins, I love all of them, finding them in good condition is the fun part, especially the ones with Queen Jadwiga on, I really like your Pilsudski.

This is my first one and I'm delighted with it. They have really nice designs but I don't seem to come across them much especially in job lots. definitely want this one next- looks like a libertad design!

image.png.3502881be1b311b29202f5348ada835c.png

46 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Today I Received...a very interesting coin! (Via NGC - Which has had Conservation)

So, some time ago, I submitted a very ‘dodgy’ looking coin to NGC for grading....with a suspicion it would receive the dreaded ‘details’ grade.

339347FC-9B1C-4ECC-A432-7DA43B6BDBDE.jpeg.91719739e6c227a03282ff59f8411031.jpeg
But, I liked the coin, so off it went. Plus, I am trying to get all of my Una Libras graded. I have a very large briefcase to fill. (thanks to @ Gildeon)

So, here is the coin in a bit more detail..(before submission)

ED048B2C-DB97-4DDF-BB74-6DF18A9B6FC0.thumb.jpeg.c7dd270249c7085fc8cecf54313de571.jpeg

As you can see, there is quite a large area of what looks like olive coloured pitting, which also seems to be embedded into the surface of the coin. Despite a nice warm soapy bath, none of it would shift..I did try...carefully.

I also noticed another ‘error’ on the coin..

BC7D440F-2496-4BBD-9BF6-309A7724AB79.thumb.jpeg.dd009e5baf92530020031ae8b6fb7c2e.jpeg

There is a distinct line above the first five letters of REPUBLIC..A Die-Crack maybe?

All in all..a pretty coin, but with ‘a lot going on’...not necessarily in a good way☹️!

The next piece of bad news arrives...

I receive notification that NGC suggest the coin goes through conservation,...the coin cost a little over spot, so the additional cost could be justified. I am then thinking, if it’s worth conserving, it probably isn’t going to get a details grade...but as a relative newbie to grading, I wasn’t really sure.

Then..the big surprise...Today I get the coin back😃

59DF8075-9B0D-4C7C-9BA7-A52B691EE1DF.thumb.jpeg.98f5abfc56a75032233caccecf96f372.jpeg

WOW 🤩 !What a grade...but why not ‘DETAILS’?

My attention then falls on a subject not previously researched...MINT ERRORS...and STRUCK THROUGH.

(From NGC) The most common type of mint error may be a “struck through,” yet these are often misunderstood by collectors. Struck throughs occur when a piece of foreign material comes between the die and a planchet during striking. The coin is said to be “struck through” the foreign material, which leaves behind an impression on the coin’s surface.

A little wiser I become.

D1C5D30A-2F3B-4E1E-B9C4-8FB76E6FEA9F.thumb.png.6b4092e082a127f34a0dee7bea90b571.png

As you can see from the picture above (post conservation) I think NGC conservation have done a great job in tidying up the area of ‘Struck Through’, if you compare back to the pre submission pics.

But have you also noticed something else which does not ‘sit right’? 

The obverse of a coin is usually the ‘Heads’ side. And the mint error on this coin all relates to what would usually be the reverse, or tails side of a coin. Have NGC got this wrong?...Answer.....NO?

On an Una Libra, the head, an image of Manco Capac. (Believed to be the son of Inti, the Inca sun god) is the Reverse.

Preliminary reading suggests that the side of a coin which has the country of origin on it, as well as an image of a ruling monarch, or reference to a state/ government etc ..will be determined to be the obverse. In this case, the side with the state and country (REPUBLICA PERUANA LIMA) becomes the obverse.

Plus, Manco (whether he actually existed or not) would have died about 800 years ago, so was not a ruling monarch at any point in these coins history (1898-1969). I am sure there are other exceptions to this heads/ obverse rule...but this is my first!

Thank you for reading.

Superb coin and post.

1 minute ago, Jamesd said:

So today I'm a very happy silver junkie. My stunning smithy bars. 10oz and 5oz are a matt finish and the 4 and 3 are a shiny finish. Cant wait to get hold of more of his stuff later in the year.

15883547859249064336623792465651.jpg

1588354850609841499641363157506.jpg

15883548675924977559306172167033.jpg

15883548884307843263564927302449.jpg

Very nice. That 5 ozt is stunning ..If you ever want to sell it give me a shout..

WEB:  http://www.riverbanksilver.com/     INSTAGRAM @riverbanksilver

2 minutes ago, SilverPirate007 said:

Very nice! What’s the price on those?

Direct from matt (smithy bullion)in australia I'm not sure as I managed to source these in the uk. I'll be ordering some from him directly later in the year but with the covid situation we wanted to wait. I picked these up for £25 an oz delivered so not cheap but I think worth every penny 😁