• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

1 minute ago, Mtaybar said:

Interesting to know they only use a 5x. It makes sense now though. 

Yeah I bought a 10× loupe and a 60x pocket microscope off amazon ( word of advice.....never check anything at 60×) at high magnification the Queen is actually male and the lion on reverse is actually a leopard 😁

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Received an email saying I should have recived an automatic email with the tracking number upon itsarrival at Cardiff (which I had not). The email went on to say that the coins had been dispatched on November 25th and to contact them if I did not receive an automatic email with the tracking number so they could check the email preferences (which I just did)……..

Coins now in the ether as they make their journey overseas and pop up again on local tracking…..…usual pattern just poor Royal Mint IT.

I got an email from them about this only because I sent them a mail earlier in the week complaining I had not been sent a tracking number!!!).

The RM really are shoddy when it gets busy……

It will be interesting to see if they actually did seal the capsules properly before they were sent  as per my multiple requests.

Edited by Oldun

4 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

Is their a release date yet for the standard 2022 sov?

According to BBP: "The new Sovereign is expected to be released in January 2022, though historically this launch could be any time between November and January."

17 hours ago, Mtaybar said:

Maybe.... At certain angles it looks like it splits into two so not sure if it's a speck or a dink. Not sure I want to take the capsule off though as these feel like they'll come apart a bit abrupt and send the coin into the air.

Imagine being the poor guy at NGC who has to open all of these capsules... I wonder Would they admit it if your coin flew through the air and they damaged your coin?

3 hours ago, Jeffers46 said:

Imagine being the poor guy at NGC who has to open all of these capsules... I wonder Would they admit it if your coin flew through the air and they damaged your coin?

I don't think they would. It's bound to have happened before lol. 

3 hours ago, Jeffers46 said:

Yep I wouldn’t submit coins in these capsules - no guarantee they’d even stay closed prior to getting to NGC or PCGS

The Royal Mint have replied to me regarding my full sovereign after I requested to return for an exchange and their reply is, “We apologise, we have sold out of these items, we can offer you a refund if you would like to return.” 😕

Thats not what I was expecting.

5 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

The Royal Mint have replied to me regarding my full sovereign after I requested to return for an exchange and their reply is, “We apologise, we have sold out of these items, we can offer you a refund if you would like to return.” 😕

That can't be right. If it is, then its a new low...

5 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

That's unfortunate and unexpected tbh.

When I sign Into my account now I've 3 open orders for the full sov ( only returned one ) but hopefully it's a sign they have received my return and intend on replacing??

Have to guess all this unfortunately because not only do they not acknowledge they have received returns they stop responding to emails after 3 lol

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

13 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

“Either take it in any condition we send it to you, or don’t bother buying it”  don’t think there’s anything I missed there! I’ve had this so many times. 

I must admit, I had recently wondered what can be done about customers complaining about issues found under a 10x loupe and such. If you look hard enough, you're more often than not going to find something. But that doesn't make it a recognised flaw.

I'm sure there's only so many times RM can replace coins that they deem acceptable, especially coins that go above and beyond their PF68 guarantee. It's no surprise if they stop offering replacements. I understand many people have had genuine cause for complaint, but that doesn't mean all complaints fall into that category. 

I don't aim this at anyone. I'm just saying with all due respect and understanding to buyers that want the best coin for their hard earned money. But some complaints are rather inconclusive shall we say. If you're asking "is this an issue" or "why does this show under 10x magnification (or more)" or looking under uv light etc, you could quite possibly be complaining about a perfect PF70 coin.

16 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

“Either take it in any condition we send it to you, or don’t bother buying it”  don’t think there’s anything I missed there! I’ve had this so many times. 

The standard response I get from dealers when I want a new coin because I found an imperfection on a proof they sent me is, we have no replacements, do you want to return it for a full refund or we will give you some money off if you keep it.

I've personally never accepted the partial refund as I really want the unblemished coin in my collection, but I can see why they offer it, it must be so much cheaper for them to do that than get saddled with a coin they can't off load.

I guess the mint has run out of coins to deal with the returns now and have stopped minting new ones, so I'd expect that to be the response everyone will get from now on.

@GoldStatue Dealers have no choice once they're out of stock. RM on the other hand, have to make a decision when to stop minting.

From what I've experienced in the past, they wait until all the complaints are in over a reasonable time period, and then begin replacing them. To abruptly stop offering replacements halfway through the returns period suggests it's a little more than just a case of them no longer minting them. 

They are probably minting Engravers at the moment and then bullion for January so it may just be a case that they ain’t minting any replacements (or if they do it could be months away)

Been interesting what others get back off them 

Ok, so I spoke too soon with my coins. I ordered a 3 coin set direct from RM and pre-ordered a single Sov from elsewhere. I was checking the quarter sov today and saw a slight glint that caused me to look further. What I found were 3 marks that clearly show some kind of damage to that side of the coin.  1486096721_quartersov.thumb.jpg.7190caef7cd408bf902b7970c1229c4a.jpg1428221738_quartersovCIRCLED1.thumb.jpg.0878bb5126b673ad0c42143fb6593eec.jpg523242648_quartersovCIRCLED2.thumb.jpg.967b0645980a16d231de2fab43d5303b.jpg

Apologies for the quality, but it's never easy to get the best photos under magnification. I was looking through a 30x magnifier (and I know what people will say about the RM rules) but it was the glint in the light that brought my attention to it so my argument is that it is 'visible' to the naked eye. 

So I then decided to recheck my other coins and found a further dink on my Sovereign from the 3 coin set

1400998130_Sov2ondeskCIRCLED.thumb.jpg.b768e7820c3b2c55e9748f33996078a6.jpg796446652_Sov2closeup1.thumb.jpg.a4579353c4b1eddbb2e6645b519e7862.jpg906579062_Sov2closeup2CIRCLED.thumb.jpg.9e2a233afc18b9e4e92beb77b9f77577.jpg

you can just about see it in the first photo on the desk and again, my point is that I could see it with the naked eye before I magnified it. So I've sent an email off to Anne Jessopp using the email shared by @BackyardBullion and hope to hear back from her soon. Out of interest, what do people think? Am I making a big deal over nothing?

Whilst I'm here I might as well mention the small dots on the single sov that I received. I can only see them under magnification so they may not be so much of an issue, but the key question is whether anyone thinks they will affect the grading as this was something I was planning to do. I don't have a 5 x magnification but will buy one to see what I can see with that, but just any general comments will help. Here's the photos

1057908615_SovdoublespotCIRCLED.thumb.jpg.ab1fd224fd89100e593a6e63744c32fa.jpg1312037383_SovsinglespotCIRCLED.thumb.jpg.0500f6562ed8316e90b9762258eba3c0.jpg