• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

On 23/06/2019 at 01:46, richatthecroft said:

Whitby, nice little town- I'm lucky to live and work very close to it- Best beach is just south, Saltwick Bay you need to be fit to scramble down the cliff but the reward worthwhile and if you spend time looking at the foot of the crumbling cliffs there's a good chance you'll be rewarded with some nice Whitby Jet as a free keepsake.  

If anyone is visiting North Yorkshire- the Best Chippy by far is Frusco's Royal Fisheries on Baxtergate in Whitby, best Pork Pies can be found at Glaves Butchers in Brompton, the Best Pint can be found at at The Sun, Westgate Pickering and the best Cafe The Garthway Cafe in Northallerton.  Take afternoon tea at Middleton Tea Parlour and Sunday Lunch at The Fairfax Arms at Gilling East.  And here's a nice place to stay,  and if your on a budget then perhaps try here.

My waistline is testament to my recommendations.

3 hours ago, Mike said:

@richatthecroft Which Fish'n'chip shop in Whitby? Mary Janes, Trenchers....

Fish & Chips not from Whitby today- but usually go to Frusco's Royal Fisheries when in Whitby- its been there years, my wife remembers it from her childhood when she lived just around the corner.  We called in at Eastgate Fisheries in Pickering on the way home today.  

Please see the Fat Man's guide to eating in North Yorkshire above!  

I did however, fail to add a special mention to Botham's - supreme bakers and fantastic cafe above their Skinner Street shop in Whitby

Edited by richatthecroft

On 06/07/2019 at 17:43, adamthetaller said:

A trio of 1Oz Valiants and a full tube of 2017 Voyaguers - fancied a tube of something (have been a bit of a magpie pciking up things in 1's and 2's as I spot something pretty) an these came in at a good price/nice balance for me.

Think the valiants look really nice in the flesh, might have to look at getting a 10Oz.

Valiant 1oz look great - really nice coins. Curious what you found the condition of the 2017 150 Voyageurs to be? I've been debating ordering a tube but the description has put me off thus far.

14 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Valiant 1oz look great - really nice coins. Curious what you found the condition of the 2017 150 Voyageurs to be? I've been debating ordering a tube but the description has put me off thus far.

Generally okay but obviously a lower quality standard than the Valiants I got at the same time (compare the rims of each picture), the rims have a little bit of 'scuffing' here and there on the milled edges and there's the occasional scratch on the rims (see just under the 'G' on my picture for one of the worst) - probably bumping together in the tube as there's a bit of space for them to move about. Both faces seem pretty much perfect in terms of condition on those in my tube.  

5 hours ago, adamthetaller said:

Generally okay but obviously a lower quality standard than the Valiants I got at the same time (compare the rims of each picture), the rims have a little bit of 'scuffing' here and there on the milled edges and there's the occasional scratch on the rims (see just under the 'G' on my picture for one of the worst) - probably bumping together in the tube as there's a bit of space for them to move about. Both faces seem pretty much perfect in terms of condition on those in my tube.  

Thanks for this. I could see the scuffing on the rim but thought I'd ask more in depth. Good information and appreciate the answer.

2 hours ago, gustavus said:

Just few dimes and quarters. But im wondering why on earth seller put so many stamps on the letter...guess have to start collecting stamps too.

The sender is obviously using up old postage stamps.  The “Javelin-thrower in the wheelchair” and next to it, the “Hand and broken chain” stamps were I think both issued in 1970.  If still valid for postage, old stamps can be bought up cheaply in order to cut down on the cost of sending letters and packages.  But the face values tend to be low hence the need for a large number of stamps.

In the UK, all the decimal stamps from 1971 onwards (excluding any ½p elements) are still valid for postage as long as they are unused.  It is an offence to re-use any stamps that have passed through the post uncancelled as this is defrauding Royal Mail

57 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

The sender is obviously using up old postage stamps.  The “Javelin-thrower in the wheelchair” and next to it, the “Hand and broken chain” stamps were I think both issued in 1970.  If still valid for postage, old stamps can be bought up cheaply in order to cut down on the cost of sending letters and packages.  But the face values tend to be low hence the need for a large number of stamps.

In the UK, all the decimal stamps from 1971 onwards (excluding any ½p elements) are still valid for postage as long as they are unused.  It is an offence to re-use any stamps that have passed through the post uncancelled as this is defrauding Royal Mail

Yeah I inherited a load of stamps which I think were from the 1980's, I went to post a parcel and I showed them to the postal worker and she said I could still use them and that I had enough to send the parcel with, so that ended up being sent with a load on it.

4 hours ago, shawy2510 said:

Upgrade on my 1817 1/2 Sovereign arrived today :)

20190709_161606.jpg

20190709_161454.jpg

20190709_161511.jpg

🎰🎰🎰🎰🎰🎰🎰🎰Would love to know where this little fella has been siting in the last 200 odd years, Amazing condition bravo 🔥🔥

Edited by StackSellRepeat

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

15 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I know it feels I have been ignoring Silver, but it ain’t true. Just not been posting much of it. Here is a recent stack of bars, such an interesting mix. Top line is a range of 100gm bars.

Ahhh...you still love Silveryoureallydo

18 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I know it feels I have been ignoring Silver, but it ain’t true. Just not been posting much of it. Here is a recent stack of bars, such an interesting mix. Top line is a range of 100gm bars.

And a shot of the bars case full enough so dropped it off at the safety box

Dont think Id be able to lift that case … you must have arms like Popeye……..