• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

1 hour ago, PapaLazarou said:
2004 Gold Proof £1 Forth Railway Bridge

A TSF "lurker" who wishes to remain anonymous arranged delivery of this pristine example from the days when the Royal Mint had a fully functioning Quality Control department. A welcome addition to my Gold Proof Pound Coin collection.

With an actual mintage of 2,618 (of the 3,000 limit) this was the first gold decimal pound coin to be issued individually, the 2002 Three Lions having appeared in the Golden Jubilee gold set.

Two auric bridges - 2005 and 2006 - still elude me.  "DMs are open".

2004 au £1 reflection.jpg

2004 au £1 obv.jpg

2004 au £1 rev.jpg

2004 au £1 Box.jpg

Awesome 🤩 

These will be very collectible in the future I’m sure 👏 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

21 minutes ago, Fishface220 said:

So....... this just happened!

still not too sure how but hey, I’m gonna not try to over think it!

My first 1oz Gold piece so it had to be a 2022 and had to be a Brit. 

Many thanks to @QuantumStackerfor starting me off on my 1oz journey! 

A79D3762-1827-4F99-801E-3E4E399CF6CC.jpeg

Welcome to the 1oz club.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

2 hours ago, Fishface220 said:

Nice aren't they? There's something about a 1oz gold coin that just seems so right. Maybe I was spoiled as I started with 1oz's but I just don't get the same satisfaction from sovereigns or smaller coins as I do these things.

20 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

Nice aren't they? There's something about a 1oz gold coin that just seems so right. Maybe I was spoiled as I started with 1oz's but I just don't get the same satisfaction from sovereigns or smaller coins as I do these things.

2 x 1g bars (loose) were my starting point 2 years back and boy did they feel small! 

2 hours ago, Fishface220 said:

There is something sooooo satisfying holding a 1oz gold coin! Relish it, well done!

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

47 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

Received this little rocket from @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer

Stunning vintage Perth mint 0.5oz button to go with my Perth mint 7.74 gram reef nugget in its Perth mint case 

£1 for scale 

unreal together! When you see the colour it'd amazes me how the Royal mint can get it so wrong with their rose gold sovs 

Screenshot_20220902-170708.png

Screenshot_20220902-170657.png

PXL_20220902_160817747.jpg

PXL_20220902_160609926.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220902_160602257.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220902_160442358.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220902_160453810.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220902_160521762.PORTRAIT.jpg

Unreal! 

52 minutes ago, PapaLazarou said:
Better in Gold...but Still No Walk on the Beach

As far as the Royal Mint One Pound coin designs go, the "Nations of the Crown" has to rate as staggeringly average and is soundly thrashed into a cocked hat by its predecessor, the exquisite 2016 "Last Round Pound", designed by Gregory Cameron. After six years of this incessant tedium it is impossible to fathom why the RM has not managed to update this tired and uninspired numismatic anachronism.
That being said, the design does look somewhat better lend itself to bi-coloured gold that it does to a silver/gold combo. Surprisingly, an uncomfortably high number of 2,142 "collectors" deemed this coin worthy of purchase upon release, making it the second highest mintage of all gold proof decimal pounds. More fool them. 

Presumably buyers were unaware that the new shape heralded a latter-day coin-clipping exercise by the RM, with the missing "corners" accounting for a 10% reduction in gold content. Which was nice.

As with my silver £1 collection, this dodecagonal usurper will be the final coin in my (currently incomplete) set.

You are not too keen on it then?

😎

Chards

On 16/08/2022 at 22:27, Silverman2U said:

Received these little beauties… some I was meant to receive a 5oz 3 graces… not a 2oz! I am interested what The Coin Cabinet will come back with knowing their listing was wrong and the deal is done… want coins back and refund my money I suspect. It will be a shame … taken me a year not to get that 2oz silver Una and the lion! 

Edited by Silverman2U

1 hour ago, PapaLazarou said:
Better in Gold...but Still No Walk on the Beach

As far as the Royal Mint One Pound coin designs go, the "Nations of the Crown" has to rate as staggeringly average and is soundly thrashed into a cocked hat by its predecessor, the exquisite 2016 "Last Round Pound", designed by Gregory Cameron. After six years of this incessant tedium it is impossible to fathom why the RM has not managed to update this tired and uninspired numismatic anachronism.
That being said, the design does look somewhat better lend itself to bi-coloured gold that it does to a silver/gold combo. Surprisingly, an uncomfortably high number of 2,142 "collectors" deemed this coin worthy of purchase upon release, making it the second highest mintage of all gold proof decimal pounds. More fool them. 

Presumably buyers were unaware that the new shape heralded a latter-day coin-clipping exercise by the RM, with the missing "corners" accounting for a 10% reduction in gold content. Which was nice.

As with my silver £1 collection, this dodecagonal usurper will be the final coin in my (currently incomplete) set.

2017 pf au £1 Nations ref.jpg

2017 pf au £1 Nations rev.jpg

2017 pf au £1 Nations obv.jpg

2017 pf au £1 Nations CoA.jpg

2017 pf au £1 Nations Hol1.jpg

2017 pf au £1 Nations Hol2.jpg

Going down the 🐇 🕳 with these gold proof £1’s.

Wish I had the Fiat to do the same 👍🏻 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

7 hours ago, Petra said:

Each to his own! That crown is awful🫢🤡

Agreed.  But the RM have released worse! I bought in the interest of completeness as I have nigh on every modern Crown issue since 1972.  I’ll likely return it and repurchase from the secondary market. 

Edited by richatthecroft

2 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

Agreed.  But the RM have released worse! I bought in the interest of completeness as I have nigh on every modern Crown issue since 1972.  I’ll likely return it and repurchase from the secondary market. 

Yer good call there. I bought one of Charles in the last couple years for something, I can only put my decision making down to having “silver fever 🤒” at the time of purchase. 😝