• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

With the royal mints lust for money that I can’t see changing they could change the design on the sovereign every year like they do with the Brit.    This will persuade collectors to get every year because ‘it’s a unique design’.     They are watering down the prestige of the sovereign with every release 

5 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

With the royal mints lust for money that I can’t see changing they could change the design on the sovereign every year like they do with the Brit.    This will persuade collectors to get every year because ‘it’s a unique design’.     They are watering down the prestige of the sovereign with every release 

It will be the "Coronation Sovereign" next😄

6 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

They don't change the brit every year but they do a lot more regularly than the sovereign.  These last 2 years of the sovereign has changed to mark historic occasions and they just so happened to fall the way they have. The queen's 70th jubilee which sadly turned out to be her final year a few months later. And now the King's first year that will be marked with a special design. I'm sure 2024 will see the return of ol'george slaying the dragon.... and that will probably be an event of its own for the sovereign collector lol. 

Edited by Mtaybar

39 minutes ago, SilverMike said:

Depends what we deem a winner, but in terms of desirability and importance yes, 100% its going to be desirable and important forever more. Its a superb design and the first sovereign of a new monarch and we shouldn’t let the madness of release days distract us from the bigger picture.

Its only in very recent years have any coins sold out in the first days / few hrs (since mid 2020) and that was due to the very weird and pumpy environment we were in. 1989, 2002, 2005, 2012, 2016 & 2017 and everything in between took days if not weeks (and probably months on the early ones). These will all be sold out soon enough if that is what some measure success by.

In terms of mintages these (the 5 and 2 anyway) are low for proof coronation / first of a monarch sovereign sets if you look at anything from Edward VII 1902 proof set onwards. Regardless of what comes, this set is as important as any sovereign set that marked a new monarch and also rarer than most, with the odd exception (1953 for example). Arguably for Sovereign collectors, particularly type collectors this is the most significant and important release in 85yrs, since George VI.

1902 5 coin proof set 8,000 ish sets

1911 5 coin proof set - 2,800 ish sets

1937 5 coin proof set - 5,001 sets

1953 5 coin proof set - 3 or 4 sets

2022 5 coin proof set (KCIII) - 1200 sets (less than 2000 2 Sovereigns in total)

as something to think about, even the 1839 Una has reported mintage of 400 and I doubt that fully accounts for the extra’s struck in the years following 1839.

i grade so I've picked up a few sets todays where I could, i’ll put a 5 coin 70 set together and then move the rest on, a  profit would be nice but not essential.

These are superb and i think once im hand collectors will be very reluctant to let them go.

Thank you for such a detailed and considered response. I think you hit the nail on the head here: "in terms of desirability and importance yes, 100% its going to be desirable and important forever more. Its a superb design and the first sovereign of a new monarch and we shouldn’t let the madness of release days distract us from the bigger picture." 👏

I'll be thrilled when mine arrives (all being well with the infamous Llantrisant QC!) and can't wait to see it up close... even if I have to squint and imagine that JC included a daff with the other floral symbols! 😝 

12 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

They are indeed watering it down, I know many collectors of the moderns (especially those who followed the first three or four SotD 'excuses') that have already given up. I don't mean to be crude or disrespectful, but they milked every opportunity they had (and beyond!) in the last few years for QEII. They have two choices from now, and that's carry on (in which case I expect many or even most to give up and finish their collection with Liz) or to return to modest and traditional coins with far lesser mintages that will appeal to the core, and build that solid base and faith in their releases again back up.

11 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Many one have an updated list of sovereign varieties.      I’ve got the marsh book but think that only goes up to 2017.      Must be another 20 odd on that with sotd’s.      

Unpopular today have every chance to be in demand in future years 

Not guaranteed or financial advice but we never know . . . . . .  

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

The ugly fat  lasses at the disco like a dance and a bit of love 

If you know you know, pre 2010 

As soon as inflation took the price of a Watermelon Bacardi Breezer over 2 quid, those lasses were doomed.

Buy high. Sell low.

Thank you to Backyard Bullion and Silver Mike for their posts. They both summarised what I was feeling about this release. 

It’s been a long day, got 622 in the queue and was in and out by 9.03am. Got what I wanted, although it turns out the rush wasn’t needed today. It’s been fun reading everyone’s reactions. May we share the spoils in up to 12 weeks. 

17 minutes ago, dirt94 said:

Out of curiosity how much of a premium would you put on a 2022 3 Coin Platinum Jubilee Proof Sovereign Set with COA #96 for the Queen’s age at the time of her passing?

96p 😉

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

34 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

96p 😉

Good one! But in all seriousness I have seen these sets sell for about $3500. Figured this COA could carry a good premium to the right buyer. Not saying it’s for sale. Just curious.

6 minutes ago, dirt94 said:

Good one! But in all seriousness I have seen these sets sell for about $3500. Figured this COA could carry a good premium to the right buyer. Not saying it’s for sale. Just curious.

You may find a buyer on eBay. Mention this in the description. But I think when it comes down to paying,everyone is looking for the cheapest. 

4 minutes ago, dirt94 said:

I seem to recall them going for around £1500 a few months after release. I know the old bird is dead now, but I'm not sure if it's going to command such a premium just yet. Perhaps in 10 years?

As for the COA, call me a boring killjoy, but I've never cared about 'special' numbers. Perhaps the market is different in the USA?

masoin.png

Buy high. Sell low.

2 minutes ago, SheepStacker said:

I seem to recall them going for around £1500 a few months after release. I know the old bird is dead now, but I'm not sure if it's going to command such a premium just yet. Perhaps in 10 years?

As for the COA, call me a boring killjoy, but I've never cared about 'special' numbers. Perhaps the market is different in the USA?

masoin.png

2323 1111 4646. I wonder what these mean. Won’t stop seeing these numbers 

35 minutes ago, SheepStacker said:

masoin.png

Sold prices have seemed to be in the $2700-$3500 range here in the US. Not everyone is concerned about numbers but I know to some people they command a premium. #96 seemed like an important number. Not desperate to sell. If I don’t find the right offer I’ll sit on it.

6 minutes ago, dirt94 said:

Sold prices have seemed to be in the $2700-$3500 range here in the US. Not everyone is concerned about numbers but I know to some people they command a premium. #96 seemed like an important number. Not desperate to sell. If I don’t find the right offer I’ll sit on it.

That's pretty impressive numbers, here currently maybe £1400 to £1700 if all pf70s.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip