• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Elizabeth II "Piedfort" Gold Proof Sovereign Platinum Jubilee

Paul

52 minutes ago, Ukbullionfan said:

So I just got off the phone to royal mint. They are being produced this Friday and next Friday. So anyones that are being produced this Friday will be out next week, and any being produced the following Friday will be out the week after. I was about to get a refund but I thought I will wait. I obviously didn’t mention to them about wanting a refund I just wanted to here what they were saying first so will wait a few weeks more.

- the Post Office (Cardiff) have sent me an email saying they have received the parcel and sending it…! It is the five sovereign though. 

57 minutes ago, lst65 said:

- the Post Office (Cardiff) have sent me an email saying they have received the parcel and sending it…! It is the five sovereign though. 

Same here for the five  sovereign and the piedfort that I pre ordered has been delivered to Louise at COTR today. 

3 minutes ago, Spanishsilver said:

Five sovereign now sold out. 
took a little while 

thought it would have gone "sold out" long before now

It will be a nice one to follow this release see how it performs over the next few years, GL to all who purchased

I may live to regret not buying one when i had a chance 

I think collector's (and flippers) are "over-Sovereigned".  The initial Sovereign issue each year is terrific.  This year, we also had the SOTD, which also created some excitement.  But, with the release of all the other Sovereigns, the interest has been diluted.  Plus, these are not cheap, and many collectors can only go so far with these.  I would expect the 2023 Sovereign to do well, but the RM should stop there.

1 hour ago, JeffM said:

I think collector's (and flippers) are "over-Sovereigned".  The initial Sovereign issue each year is terrific.  This year, we also had the SOTD, which also created some excitement.  But, with the release of all the other Sovereigns, the interest has been diluted.  Plus, these are not cheap, and many collectors can only go so far with these.  I would expect the 2023 Sovereign to do well, but the RM should stop there.

I’m afraid 2023 will see a 70 privy mark and almost the same number of releases - Proof, SotD, Piedfort (questionable) and £5 Matte BU.

I expect the bullion will be a regular release with no 70 privy mark though. 

1 minute ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Just a few fivers for you guys, 2022 proof £5 2022 matte BU £5 rude not to show it next to the 1989 proof £5…….and might as well end on a £5 note. 

F9F13DD2-C6F9-4358-BDAF-921D73D9B44A.jpeg

Gorgeous set of coins. 😍😍😍

I’m also loving that £5 note (as silly as it may sound… but I like notes too). 😆

5 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

Hopefully mine will be here tomorrow, look forward to seeing it in hand but I'm not sure it really holds up next to those lovely proofs?

I like the look of the bunc/matt five sovereign, but I can't help but think the proof version is still so much more special because of the amount of manual effort that must have gone into polishing the die with their magical sticks and various levels of polishing compound, and potentially having to do the same again after a number of strikes. It's about the only thing in coin production that hasn't been automated yet.

In contrast, the dies for the matt coin were probably just laser etched and nothing more had to be done to them! It makes them seem overpriced to me.

3 hours ago, paulmerton said:

I like the look of the bunc/matt five sovereign, but I can't help but think the proof version is still so much more special because of the amount of manual effort that must have gone into polishing the die with their magical sticks and various levels of polishing compound, and potentially having to do the same again after a number of strikes. It's about the only thing in coin production that hasn't been automated yet.

In contrast, the dies for the matt coin were probably just laser etched and nothing more had to be done to them! It makes them seem overpriced to me.

I think that may be why I'm not as excited by this as I should be, I'll check it out when it arrives but I can see me returning this and spending the money on some bullion sovereigns or the last 1oz I need to fill out my display box. Of course I may see it in hand and feel totally different but I just feel a bit indifferent to this

On 26/08/2022 at 08:03, Frenchie said:

I don't remember there has been a bullion Quintuple Sovereign ever

You might be too young to remember:

When they were available over the counter at banks for face value of £5 each. That was before anybody thought of calling then "quintuple sovereigns" or "£5 sovereigns"(!).

You might be old enough to remember 2000:

https://www.chards.co.uk/2000-gold-bullion-quintuple-sovereign/8017

You might wish to read more here:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=fivepoundsgoldstory.html

There is even more information here:

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/quintuplesovereigns.html

including a list of quintuple sovereigns excluding the misleading gold proof £5 crowns.

and here:

https://taxfreegold.co.uk/fivepoundsinfo.html

I hope you find all this interesting and useful.

Now a question for you:

Who invented the term "quintuple sovereign"?

Answers on a five pound note, or preferably a £5 coin.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards