• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Elizabeth II "Piedfort" Gold Proof Sovereign Platinum Jubilee

Paul

1 hour ago, Frenchie said:

I ordered the £5 BU graded MS70 from The Coin Connection for around £130 on top of the RRP. I think this is an interesting bet as this is the only Matte special 5 Sovereign to date with a relatively low mintage (and probably the only one that'll exist during QE reign) , 

With the 5 coins proof set, the SOTD Sovereign, The 5 Coin Pattern Piedfort Set, this £5 BU ends up beautifully my 2022 Sovereign collection (except the Piedfort I did not buy)

I can’t find the MS70 5 sovereign on the coin connection website have you got a link please 

41 minutes ago, Spanishsilver said:

I can’t find the MS70 5 sovereign on the coin connection website have you got a link please 

They did not offer it on the website but they offered preorders to their customers who registered their interest,  raw or slabbed, a few weeks ago 

Edited by Frenchie

I would have loved a Five Sovereign to go with my 2017, however, the Matt finish has really got me thinking. 

Note below the mints definition of BU - "an entry level collectable".

The 2017 was a show stopper.  I'm happy with the proof full and half sovereign for this year.

From RM website;

"Sometimes referred to as ‘BU’, ‘B.U.’, or ‘B.UNC’, Brilliant Uncirculated coins are of a higher standard than circulating and bullion coins. An entry-level collectable, like Proof coins, the dies used to strike Brilliant Uncirculated coins are polished and finished by hand.

The Brilliant Uncirculated blanks are machine-fed and struck twice. As a result, they are produced at a much quicker rate than Proof coins – around 100 per hour. They offer a good level of design detail, but have a lower definition than Proof coins."

11 minutes ago, whitesands1 said:

I would have loved a Five Sovereign to go with my 2017, however, the Matt finish has really got me thinking. 

Note below the mints definition of BU - "an entry level collectable".

The 2017 was a show stopper.  I'm happy with the proof full and half sovereign for this year.

From RM website;

"Sometimes referred to as ‘BU’, ‘B.U.’, or ‘B.UNC’, Brilliant Uncirculated coins are of a higher standard than circulating and bullion coins. An entry-level collectable, like Proof coins, the dies used to strike Brilliant Uncirculated coins are polished and finished by hand.

The Brilliant Uncirculated blanks are machine-fed and struck twice. As a result, they are produced at a much quicker rate than Proof coins – around 100 per hour. They offer a good level of design detail, but have a lower definition than Proof coins."

And all for just £900 over spot 

Just now, Zhorro said:

Both the piedfort and five sovereign piece are still available from the RM though both are stated to be "Over 95% Reserved".

Surprised neither has sold out to be fair 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

And all for just £900 over spot 

Surprised neither has sold out to be fair 

I'm guessing inflation is biting into people's pockets, I would have thought these would have gone in a few of hours of release otherwise.

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

8 minutes ago, CaptCaveMan said:

I'm guessing inflation is biting into people's pockets, I would have thought these would have gone in a few of hours of release otherwise.

This is certainly true, but negative sentiment among the 'influencers' also plays a part.

There was barely a positive comment on the Facebook groups yesterday, particularly in relation to the Piedfort.

I've no particular reason to trust their judgement over my own, so bought one anyway.

1 hour ago, Shinus73 said:

This is certainly true, but negative sentiment among the 'influencers' also plays a part.

There was barely a positive comment on the Facebook groups yesterday, particularly in relation to the Piedfort.

I've no particular reason to trust their judgement over my own, so bought one anyway.

Because there is no pump left for half the scumbags in those groups. 

No hot coin of the month to pump to the newbs and then let them all go and they go back down.

Its been bliss not seeing a post about a gothic plain edge or rocking horse for a while

1 hour ago, FlorinCollector said:

Because there is no pump left for half the scumbags in those groups. 

No hot coin of the month to pump to the newbs and then let them all go and they go back down.

Its been bliss not seeing a post about a gothic plain edge or rocking horse for a while

I agree that there is an element of this, but I maybe slightly more relaxed about it than you. 😀

There is intelligent discussion of potential return on those groups, based on past performance etc, as well as people talking their book, as it were.

My issue is that although it's undeniably true that the 2017 Piedfort, for example, has not performed as well in the secondary market as the proof, a 70 still routinely sells for 25-30% above RRP, which is not to be sniffed at. A raw or PF69 will likely get you your money back. I guess this is not sufficient to make a living, which leads to some of the glumness on the groups.

38 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

If I had funds, I would’ve got an extra Piedfort; but maybe in a few months I’ll get lucky and be able to snag one at near issue price. 

Give me a first shout mate got a few, also just got a dispatch email from the mint Woooo! 

I agree that there is an element of this, but I maybe slightly more relaxed about it than you. 😀

There is intelligent discussion of potential return on those groups, based on past performance etc, as well as people talking their book, as it were.

My issue is that although it's undeniably true that the 2017 Piedfort, for example, has not performed as well in the secondary market as the proof, a 70 still routinely sells for 25-30% above RRP, which is not to be sniffed at. A raw or PF69 will likely get you your money back. I guess this is not sufficient to make a living, which leads to some of the glumness on the groups.

25% 30% is great for me, I’m genuinely happy if I clear 10% on a box.  

A raw or PF69 will likely get you your money back

If there’s a raw 2017 Piedfort Sovereign at issue price, I’m here for it. 🙂

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Give me a first shout mate got a few, also just got a dispatch email from the mint Woooo! 

I will do that; thanks. ☺️

I think this is still available because people may be getting tired of all the Sovereigns available this year.  In addition to the new piedfort and 5 BU Sovereign, there are the Sovereign sets,  regular proof, bullion, and SOTD.

5 minutes ago, JeffM said:

I think this is still available because people may be getting tired of all the Sovereigns available this year.  In addition to the new piedfort and 5 BU Sovereign, there are the Sovereign sets,  regular proof, bullion, and SOTD.

That seems to be the norm since the last couple of years.

Except for 2020 and 2021 which didn’t have the Piedfort Sovereign, we’ve seen all the versions you listed every year since 2017.

Some years even had multiple SotDs as you will remember.

Edited by westminstrel

7 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

That seems to be the norm since the last couple of years.

Except for 2020 and 2021 which didn’t have the Piedfort Sovereign, we’ve seen all the versions you listed every year since 2017.

Some years even had multiple SotDs as you will remember.

There's plenty more time for the Royal Mint to release another SOTD so don't tempt them 😀

I don't think the piedforts have ever been that popular but pretty much anything with the special design on them will sell out eventually.

I was a bit confused by the 5 BU sovereign, I just assumed it was going to be the matte finish but it didn't actually say that on sales page and the photos weren't that helpful.

17 minutes ago, GoldStatue said:

There's plenty more time for the Royal Mint to release another SOTD so don't tempt them 😀

I don't think the piedforts have ever been that popular but pretty much anything with the special design on them will sell out eventually.

I was a bit confused by the 5 BU sovereign, I just assumed it was going to be the matte finish but it didn't actually say that on sales page and the photos weren't that helpful.

The £5 BU has been matte since 2018 so it seems that’s the norm for that version.

I don’t think there are any more occasions this year that would warrant an SotD but let’s not jinx this. 😏

I like the Sovereigns.  Always have and always will.  I view it as a coin that symbolizes the UK.  My preference has always been for the proof Sovereign, but I do like the matte SOTD as something different for my collection.  But, IMO, issuing so many different Sovereigns dilutes the market and collectors' interests.  It's sort of like the American Silver Eagles here in the US.  While I certainly have some, I sort of get tired when there is a new release unless there is something unique about it.  Come to think of it, maybe the Royal Mint should consider a reverse proof Sovereign!