• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Elizabeth II "Piedfort" Gold Proof Sovereign Platinum Jubilee

Paul

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

The links work fine on desktop devices. The problem is when you try to view them on a mobile device, as you get redirected to m.taxfreegold.co.uk which does not exist in the DNS. Definitely a problem at your end.

Thanks.

Our tech support also said "seems its the mobile version of the site"

taxfreegold.co.uk was launched on New Year's Eve 1999, and was designed for viewing on computer monitors of varying resolutions. This was well before most people ever thought of viewing websites on a mobile phone.

The cost to rewrite it, and our other 2 main legacy sites, would be prohibitive, so we have left them as "Legacy Sites" still full of useful info.

Some of the info has been ported over to Chards.co.uk, but not all.

😎

Chards

11 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

That taxfreegold website doesn’t work for me . Anyone else have same problem ?

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

The links work fine on desktop devices. The problem is when you try to view them on a mobile device, as you get redirected to m.taxfreegold.co.uk which does not exist in the DNS. Definitely a problem at your end.

Thanks for pointing it out. The tech team are looking at it now. 

23 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Gorgeous set of coins. 😍😍😍

I’m also loving that £5 note (as silly as it may sound… but I like notes too). 😆

That's good, here's another!  This £5 note was in circulation when the 1989 was minted. On the reverse is Wellington at the Battle of Waterloo....

IMG_3479 (2).JPG

It's so annoying, only 750 of them, and they can't be bothered to check them properly. 

What should I do? Can I return this lovely coin to RM and ask for refund. Is it worth keeping it as it is? What are my options? 😕

20220901_182001.jpg

20220901_182018.jpg

Edited by Goldfever20

15 minutes ago, Goldfever20 said:

It's so annoying, only 750 of them, and they can't be bothered to check them properly. 

What should I do? Can I return this lovely coin to RM and ask for refund. Is it worth keeping it as it is? What are my options? 😕

20220901_182001.jpg

20220901_182018.jpg

I'm not keeping mine, I know it's not a proof but given the premium I expect much better. Also if they are damaged its going to ruin resale value if you need to liquidate in the future, I don't want to sound like a flipper but I buy gold for my savings and knowing that I'm going to lose a lot of money due to poor quality control isn't acceptable to me.

1 minute ago, apachebleu said:

I'm not keeping mine, I know it's not a proof but given the premium I expect much better. Also if they are damaged its going to ruin resale value if you need to liquidate in the future, I don't want to sound like a flipper but I buy gold for my savings and knowing that I'm going to lose a lot of money due to poor quality control isn't acceptable to me.

I couldn't agree with you more, I will be sending my one back aswell, but I so f....ing wanted one.😡

2 minutes ago, Goldfever20 said:

I couldn't agree with you more, I will be sending my one back aswell, but I so f....ing wanted one.😡

The crazy thing is...it could still grade as a 70 with NGC (no post-production imperfections, as per many previous Mattes with similar issues) or it might not...but 'buy the coin and not the grade/holder' still remains true imvho, so myself it's not something I'd like to have nagging at the back of my mind (an imperfect coin even with a good/great grade) :(

8 minutes ago, Goldfever20 said:

Guys how does the return process work? Should I ask for a refund or a replacement (but how could they replace itbifvthey are sold out?) Any advice welcome.

45 minutes ago, Goldfever20 said:

Guys how does the return process work? Should I ask for a refund or a replacement (but how could they replace itbifvthey are sold out?) Any advice welcome.

They actually keep some back for replacement ( already aware of their own shoddy QC) 

If you really want it,I'd try a replacement first but you could literally end up with a perfect coin or another headache.

The coin you have now would still grade a 70 most likely, apparently the matt sovereigns are notorious for missing frosting. I give away at rrp a SOTD 22 for very similar damage in a different area ( it graded a 70 ) but my logic was, once its seen, it can't be unseen. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

59 minutes ago, kimchi said:

The crazy thing is...it could still grade as a 70 with NGC (no post-production imperfections, as per many previous Mattes with similar issues) or it might not...but 'buy the coin and not the grade/holder' still remains true imvho, so myself it's not something I'd like to have nagging at the back of my mind (an imperfect coin even with a good/great grade) :(

The problem is it may get a 70 but if it doesn't then so much time will have passed the option to return it will be gone. 

For me I couldn't help but feel like a con man selling a damaged coin as a 70 regardless of what ngc say...I'm afraid I value my reputation as a seller too much to sell something I know to be sub standard even if it has a good rating. Lol I think I care way too much about my reputation with strangers on the internet

5 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

The problem is it may get a 70 but if it doesn't then so much time will have passed the option to return it will be gone. 

For me I couldn't help but feel like a con man selling a damaged coin as a 70 regardless of what ngc say...I'm afraid I value my reputation as a seller too much to sell something I know to be sub standard even if it has a good rating. Lol I think I care way too much about my reputation with strangers on the internet

No you make complete sense and I'm in agreement 👍

1 minute ago, apachebleu said:

I'm the same. You have to balance the mintage, desirability, and how many other 'problem coins' there are against your own. Too much of a headache for me. I like my 70s perfect, all those I have graded myself are (without conservation). Heck I even have key coins that are clear 70s but got 69s purely (imvho) because if NGC gave everything 70s they wouldn't be needed!

I hope you get better practical advice than I can give, because I have a real problem with what NGC return at times, and like yourself I want a 70 to be a 'perfect' coin, but I don't want you to miss out on a good investment just because of my feelings!!! :)

1 minute ago, Goldfever20 said:

That's exactly what I am struggling with at the moment. 

Thanks @James32 I will try the replacement route first, there is always time for a refund. 

Yeah I would too, thankfully with numismatic coins and the RM'S policy, the ball is in your court. Opt for replacement and if still unsatisfactory, then refund. 

15 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I'm the same. You have to balance the mintage, desirability, and how many other 'problem coins' there are against your own. Too much of a headache for me. I like my 70s perfect, all those I have graded myself are (without conservation). Heck I even have key coins that are clear 70s but got 69s purely (imvho) because if NGC gave everything 70s they wouldn't be needed!

I hope you get better practical advice than I can give, because I have a real problem with what NGC return at times, and like yourself I want a 70 to be a 'perfect' coin, but I don't want you to miss out on a good investment just because of my feelings!!! :)

I'm in full agreement with you, I'm no expert but if I see a grade 70 I expect no flaws otherwise it means nothing and I would be gutted to pay a premium for something graded that way and recieve a coin that's clearly damaged.

Obviously it's a different story for vintage coins but for something fresh from the mint I expect better.

In truth I was always on the fence about buying this but the c**p quality made my decision not to keep it easy

2 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

I'm in full agreement with you, I'm no expert but if I see a grade 70 I expect no flaws otherwise it means nothing and I would be gutted to pay a premium for something graded that way and recieve a coin that's clearly damaged.

Obviously it's a different story for vintage coins but for something fresh from the mint I expect better.

In truth I was always on the fence about buying this but the c**p quality made my decision not to keep it easy

We think the same - others think differently and are (perhaps) more pragmatic and profit-driven, but I'm not sure how these imperfect 70s will fare in the long run, so I stay clear. That's just me :)

I'd try returning the coin (ask RM to cover your postage costs, and tell them you are very unhappy, they will do it) and if still not happy with replacements (they do sometimes send out other returned coins, it's not always because they have held some back, and there's no rhyme nor reason to it) then ask for a refund :)

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

ask RM to cover your postage costs

When you request a return online it will provide a free return label anyway, and let you choose whether you want a refund or a replacement.

You also have the option of just showing the Post Office a QR code on your phone so you don't even have to print the label yourself.

It's almost worrying how good their returns system is :D 

14 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

@apachebleu - it shouldn't be any different for vintage coins.  70 means 70 regardless of the age of the coin.
Unlike UK exams, there should be no 'grade inflation' when it comes to coins according to their date of mintage!

It doesn't work that way alas because of the 'no post-Mint imperfections' criteria. Vintage coins are different, they have a long history. New coins if you submit quickly when all the others are going in they will see they all have the same issues, so it must be the Mint. If you send in a year or two later then they may err on the side of caution, and if the three graders are not particularly knowledgeable or compare to previous examples on their own database (they don't imo - by their own admission they only look at a coin for a few minutes each - it's a production line) then you are less likely to get the same grade as the same coin submitted earlier.

To be fair, how do they know that missing frosting is not due to handler error/damage if you don't submit asap?

Edited by kimchi

Cheers for that, @kimchi

All the more reason to be very sceptical regarding the grading number given to any coin, in my opinion.  I don't have any graded coin - they just aren't for me, for that and many other reasons.  I can see the appeal to others though, and I do enjoy seeing pictures of graded coins in their holders that TSF members post up on the site.

4 hours ago, Goldfever20 said:

That's exactly what I am struggling with at the moment. 

Thanks @James32 I will try the replacement route first, there is always time for a refund. 

I had problems with just the 2022 sovereigns,the more i looked the more little problems on the frosting i saw.

but i bet a high amount also have frosting problems,Sometimes there's nothing wrong with just getting a refund :)

Goodluck with the replacement,something we shouldn't be saying as they should come mint.

I dread opening new coins from the RM now,due to the high percentage of messed up coins i've had.

After reading all the comments above I’m quite happy I got a refund now. May I add I didn’t even ask for a refund but the transaction got sent back to me without Any reason. I don’t think they accepted my payment even though the order is still in progress. Very strange indeed. Royal mint doesn’t seem to be very reliable. 

5 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

After reading all the comments above I’m quite happy I got a refund now. May I add I didn’t even ask for a refund but the transaction got sent back to me without Any reason. I don’t think they accepted my payment even though the order is still in progress. Very strange indeed. Royal mint doesn’t seem to be very reliable. 

Keep an eye on it - payments would naturally drop off your transaction list after a few days anyway if the item hasn't been dispatched yet. It doesn't necessarily mean they've refunded you.