• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Three graces coin

So, I was one of the many unlucky ones who had multiple bank/credit card errors when landing back on the Royal Mint website following successful card transaction. 

Does anybody know with any certainty why this happened?

Feel sorry for everyone who missed out! 

9 minutes ago, CadmiumGreen said:

I am showing the 2 oz Gold Three Graces in Completed Orders from my Royal Mint account!

Does it show as £0 or as the specified price? I hope the latter....otherwise get on the phone to them. Given they were offering the 2oz gold to people in the afternoon, I would be curious to know why your order was cancelled.

A.

31 minutes ago, Paulo said:

So, I was one of the many unlucky ones who had multiple bank/credit card errors when landing back on the Royal Mint website following successful card transaction. 

Does anybody know with any certainty why this happened?

Feel sorry for everyone who missed out! 

It was a mission trying to make payment. My payment kept getting rejected and I kept getting logged out of my account. I think there was to much traffic and the website couldn’t cope

My order has also been moved from ”open” to ”closed”. I can click for more details and the payment amount looks good. The money is no longer visible in my account. However, when I go to my transaction history the payment still says ”pending”. Also, no email as of yet, apart from the initial order confirmation. I’ll let you know if anything changes.

6 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Payment with CC is only a pre authorisation normally until despatch. 

Sorry I meant completed with the full price and not a zero

There is a lot of chatter on FB saying all cancelled orders are done now so open are being honoured I am still anxious about it 

I rang as some people are saying theirs are dispatched the woman was polite and said whilst not 100% guarantee I look to have one reserved 

I think if open still its a good sign I was not even this anxious when my wife was in labour with the first child 

18 hours ago, creative said:

I think a lot of it comes to the investment in the backend for this type of situation. Generally a sellout coin at this rate is not the norm for the RM, so they’ve not likely invested in the dev time required to solve this issue. It takes a lot of development and extremely fast gateways and hardware to handle transactions like this. 

It is more than interesting to hear your thoughts on this.

We sometimes get negative comments on our website, for example:

I said:
"Our website is still a "work in progress", and under almost continual development, some updates happened today, although I have not yet had chance to compare old with new."

and got a response:

"Sorry to say, the wording of 'work in progress' could have quite easily been used in 1995, even in 2005 with a smaller company with fewer employees, In 2021 it doesn't wash anymore. There are dozens of IT companies in the North West, as there all over the country. Get three in and ask for a quote? Or be the first dealer to have a set price for an hour rather than trying to keep up second by second?"

which is not a totally unreasonable comment, in my opinion, but which is actually quite superficial. I followed it up with:

"All our websites have been WIP since they launched in 1998, perhaps if I called it continuous improvement, you would agree.
If we ever get them better than Amazon and a few others, we might just allow ourselves to celebrate and relax for a few days, but until they are perfect, we aim to keep improving them. I don't believe that perfection can be achieved, so it will be a long job.

As things stand, we have more than one active contractor, which is why we can and do roll out improvements almost constantly."

We had one small example of synchronisation problems recently. We had just one piece in stock of a particular silver eagle. We managed to oversell it, because two people bought it the same minute. Although our system was aware we had 1 in stock, we do not "reserve" when someone "adds to basket", so both had done so, then both bought. A typical customer response to this might be that we should have a better website, but perhaps expressed less politely. We have added a fix for this particular error, but I am aware that a "perfect" solution, to handle all similar cases, is likely to require a more complex but robust fix.

I also wonder if snipers who criticise websites have any idea how much work it requires to achieve excellence, and what typical costs may be.

Any insight you can provide would be welcome, and not just by me, as I think are many TSF members who would also be interested.

Chards

My experience has been they dispatch the gold proofs before the silver. Would imagine the same here.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

1 hour ago, Gypsy said:

It was a mission trying to make payment. My payment kept getting rejected and I kept getting logged out of my account. I think there was to much traffic and the website couldn’t cope

Anyone having problems with payment when checking out, call your bank and ensure they do not block any transactions from the Royal Mint.

I think I remember my first purchase with the Royal Mint now, quite a few years ago, and I had to set up another password when the bank security systems kicked in during a transaction, to confirm the transaction was actually genuine (from me). 

I don't have this extra security kick in nowadays when I make a purchase.

6 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

You've got to post some snaps when you get it, just to make us drool.

My experience with the RM when buying any 2oz gold coin starts with sheer excitement that the package has arrived. Even more excitement when I look at the coin for the first time... and then deep depression when I find a very noticeable flaw on the coin.  I wasn’t bi-polar before I started coin collecting but I’m pretty sure I am now 😬

Edited by SovCollector