• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Three graces coin

30 minutes ago, SovCollector said:

My experience with the RM when buying any 2oz gold coin starts with sheer excitement that the package has arrived. Even more excitement when I look at the coin for the first time... and then deep depression when I find a very noticeable flaw on the coin.  I wasn’t bi-polar before I started coin collecting but I’m pretty sure I am now 😬

I know exactly where you're coming from and I've had similar experiences.

If you have received a new coin and there is an issue with it, chances are the RM are not going to re-mint it, at least that's what happened to me.  I have a copper spot on my coin, but I was okay with them not re-minting because I know I can get this coin conserved and remove the copper spot.

Now, what I also know (and you may know this already), is that when these coins are graded, they do not look at the coins in the same light we may have at home.  They grade them in a dark room and use lamps and look at the coins in a different light setting.  So, if you look at your coin directly under a spot light (can't remember exactly what light type), if you see any blemishes (flaws), it doesn't necessarily mean the grader will see those flaws.

Something to remember and not to get too depressed about! 🙂

Edited by GoldenGriffin

5 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

I know exactly where you're coming from and I've had similar experiences.

If you have received a new coin and there is an issue with it, chances are the RM are not going to re-mint it, at least that's what happened to me.  I have a copper spot on my coin, but I was okay with them not re-minting because I know I can get this coin conserved and remove the copper spot.

Now, what I also know (and you may know this already), is that when these coins are graded, they do not look at the coins in the same light we may have at home.  They grade them in a dark room and use lamps and look at the coins in a different light setting.  So, if you look at your coin directly under a spot light (can't remeber exactly what light type), if you see any blemishes (flaws), it doesn't necessarily mean the grader will see those flaws.

Something to remember and not to get too depressed about! 🙂

I didn’t know that, very interesting... 

All I know about grading is that they magnify the coin 8x, but I’m pretty sure even that is incorrect! It’s all very secret society when it comes to what goes on in the grading labs 🤫

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

We had one small example of synchronisation problems recently. We had just one piece in stock of a particular silver eagle. We managed to oversell it, because two people bought it the same minute. Although our system was aware we had 1 in stock, we do not "reserve" when someone "adds to basket", so both had done so, then both bought. A typical customer response to this might be that we should have a better website, but perhaps expressed less politely. We have added a fix for this particular error, but I am aware that a "perfect" solution, to handle all similar cases, is likely to require a more complex but robust fix.

A possible, easy enough fix in this scenario, where more than one person buys the last product at the same time, would be to time stamp when they add that product to their basket and the one who added it first during the payment process would be successful.

The chances of more than one person adding the same and, only product to their basket at the exact same time (down to the second), would be highly unlikely, along with processing payment at the same time.

Edited by GoldenGriffin

6 minutes ago, SovCollector said:

All I know about grading is that they magnify the coin 8x

I believe it's x 5 magnification.

I'd recommend sending your coin off for conservation, when and if you decide to grade it, to maximise its chances of getting a perfect 70, especially a proof coin. 👍

Edited by GoldenGriffin

11 minutes ago, GoldenGriffin said:

A possible easy enough fix in this scenario, where more than one person buys the outstanding product at the same time, would be to time stamp when they add that product to their basket and the one who added it first during the payment process would be successful.

The chances of someone adding the same and, only product at the exact same second, would be highly unlikely, along with the other conditions.

There is of course a secondary issue here. 

In Chards scenario, add in the idea that the dealer (not Chards to avoid any confusion) also have a person who they speak to regularly about coins, who spends a lot. That person also wants to have the coin and the dealer decides to sell to that third person.

I can understand the Royal Mint looking at duplicates, multiple buys and cancelling orders. This is good as it means the rules re one per household are met. What I cannot understand is their decision to cancel orders that they go onto offer to their preferred customers. 

In my mind this is an arguable breach of contract law. Sure, there are caveats about availability, but if you offer an item and someone accepts that offer and makes payment you should really complete the contract and send the item. If you cancel the order because you prefer to sell to someone else, then whilst it may not be a breach of contract (due to the existence of the caveats on availability) there are clear moral and good practice issues here that need to be considered. 

On Monday, many people bought and paid for a 2oz Silver Three Graces. On Monday afternoon many people received cancellation notices. On Monday afternoon certain individuals received phone calls from the Royal Mint offering them those coins. 

Therein lies the problem.

Edited by AndrewSL76
Grammar!

I have been following this thread with interest. I managed to order the 2 oz silver coin, and have not received an email to say order cancelled. So 🤞I’ll get my coin. I have never had a coin graded before, any advice from more experienced members would be appreciated. PCGS or NGC ? What is the process for coin grading. 
Is it worth the grading process or should I keep in raw state ?

thanks in advance. 

Edited by Kussilver

5 minutes ago, Kussilver said:

I have been following this thread with interest. I managed to order the 2 oz silver coin, and have not received an email to say order cancelled. So 🤞I’ll get my coin. I have never had a coin graded before, any advice from more experienced members would be appreciated. PCGS or NGC ? What is the process for coin grading. 
Is it worth the grading process or should I keep in raw state ?

thanks in advance. 

Joining the bandwagon of people needing advice on coin grading. As some of you know, my 2017 Sovereign developed some weird “bloom” (🥲) and I’ve been considering having it conserved and graded. So I’d appreciate grading advice too.

Sorry for the tangent - back to the normal stressful topic at hand. 🙂

3 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Joining the bandwagon of people needing advice on coin grading. As some of you know, my 2017 Sovereign developed some weird “bloom” (🥲) and I’ve been considering having it conserved and graded. So I’d appreciate grading advice too.

Sorry for the tangent - back to the normal stressful topic at hand. 🙂

Come on @AndrewSL76- do the honourable thing!

I am going to write up a note on my experiences of grading. I was going to do that today, but have not had time. I will try and do this tonight and share with @sovereignsteve who I think is looking to do something similar with his NGC experiences. This will be entirely relevant to self grading. 

In the meantime, if you are interested in grading through NGC with support from someone with a lot of experience, you can contact Louise at Coins of The Realm. If you look to the top of this forum site, there is a link to the article that @ChrisSilver has published. 

Good luck and may the PF/PR70 be with you.

1 minute ago, evende said:

Come on @AndrewSL76- do the honourable thing!

Just to be absolutely clear, I have accounts with NGC and PCGS and have self graded but this is generally for my personal collection and not for selling/business. I am therefore less concerned with getting things done as cheaply as possible. Going through a third party heavily reduces the costs and so if you only have a few coins to grade, you are advised to seek that support.

I will write up an overview of my experiences and share pictures and links from the mobile app that PCGS offer. That will be at some point before the end of the week. 

10 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I am going to write up a note on my experiences of grading. I was going to do that today, but have not had time. I will try and do this tonight and share with @sovereignsteve who I think is looking to do something similar with his NGC experiences. This will be entirely relevant to self grading. 

In the meantime, if you are interested in grading through NGC with support from someone with a lot of experience, you can contact Louise at Coins of The Realm. If you look to the top of this forum site, there is a link to the article that @ChrisSilver has published. 

Good luck and may the PF/PR70 be with you.

Nice one. I’d be interested in hearing your experiences. I have a fair amount of grading experience through third parties, but am now about to venture into self grading through NGC. Keep us posted. 👍

8 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Just to be absolutely clear, I have accounts with NGC and PCGS and have self graded but this is generally for my personal collection and not for selling/business. I am therefore less concerned with getting things done as cheaply as possible. Going through a third party heavily reduces the costs and so if you only have a few coins to grade, you are advised to seek that support.

I will write up an overview of my experiences and share pictures and links from the mobile app that PCGS offer. That will be at some point before the end of the week. 

Thanks @AndrewSL76 I look forward to your post. Also I see people posting about coin conservation, is this done when coin is graded or is this a separate service ?.  Is conservation necessary with a new minted proof coin ?

13 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Personally, I have graded with PCGS a few years ago via Paris. I didn't have the cojones to send my sovereigns directly across the pond without insurance. It got too expensive for my liking.

I have used NGC for a couple of years since they opened their London office and it's great, especially if you easily get into the office to drop off and pickup. I have popped down on the train a couple of times myself. Price is an issue if you are only doing a few coins,

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Conservation is considered before the grading process. If you have asked for this service NCS will look at your coin to decide if the coin will benefit from conservation, if so they will conserve it, if not they will send it for grading.

Newly minted coins can sometimes have issues that can be improved with conservation but it depends what the issue is. Some people send all newly minted coins for conservation in the hope of increasing the chance of getting a 70 grade with the view that the conservation will remove any issues with the coin. Not all issues can be resolved for example a contact mark.

PCGS previously did not  offer conservation but they fairly recently introduced it.

Edited by Fivepoundfred

11 minutes ago, Aiden2343 said:

Just got an email letting me know my order has been despatched! So it looks like they are shipping out a few of the silver proofs after all, at least the 5 ounces. Now just to hope it arrives with no issues...

Awesome news. Pleased for you! Did you just buy the 5oz, or did you go for the 2oz too?

Looking forward to seeing this when you receive it! Please post pics in the 'today I received' thread!!

17 minutes ago, Aiden2343 said:

Just got an email letting me know my order has been despatched! So it looks like they are shipping out a few of the silver proofs after all, at least the 5 ounces. Now just to hope it arrives with no issues...

Me too on one of the items. The 5oz ones. I was told still waiting for the 2oz

Edited by Rll1288

6 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Awesome news. Pleased for you! Did you just buy the 5oz, or did you go for the 2oz too?

Looking forward to seeing this when you receive it! Please post pics in the 'today I received' thread!!

Yes, I did manage to get the 2oz, although, it's still in open orders so not sure what the situation is there. It’ll be a gift for my parents anniversary. I will be sure to post some pictures of the 5oz when it arrives! Hopefully my amateur photography skills don’t let me down lol.

7 hours ago, Aiden2343 said:

my amateur photography skills don’t let me down

Look forward to seeing them.

From my experience, most pictures I've taken of coins do not reflect the true beauty of a coin, compared to when you have it in front of you in the "flesh" and in the right light.

Maybe it's just me or my crappy camera and software messing up the colours! 😅  

Edited by GoldenGriffin