• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

18 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Best plan is to sell for profit and sink all the profits into more gold and repeat .

But there comes the time when you must spend and enjoy the gains ( unless your plan is to pass all wealth onto your family ) while you have good health .

Easier said than done my friend  , you think you can sell high and buy low , you might get lucky once or twice but at some point the price won’t go back down anywhere near the price you sold it for .

So I wouldn’t sell my gold for profit anymore , I’d only sell when I need the cash .

5 minutes ago, Nick1368 said:

Easier said than done my friend  , you think you can sell high and buy low , you might get lucky once or twice but at some point the price won’t go back down anywhere near the price you sold it for .

So I wouldn’t sell my gold for profit anymore , I’d only sell when I need the cash .

No not talking about the price of gold highs and lows . The trick is to sell a coin with a higher added premium and use the gains in premiums to purchase more gold 👍

20 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

Buying monthly regardless of price has found me in a good place so far. 🙏🙏

If you ever have the opportunity, maybe take a look at a guy called ‘2 is 1’ on YouTube. Fascinating videos. He’s been collecting gold about 13 years. Your strategy is similar to his and he swears by it. He’s built up over $100,000 of the stuff. For wealth. Not to make quick profits etc. Really interesting vids he does. 😊

Just now, lst65 said:

If you ever have the opportunity, maybe take a look at a guy called ‘2 is 1’ on YouTube. Fascinating videos. He’s been collecting gold about 13 years. Your strategy is similar to his and he swears by it. He’s built up over $100,000 of the stuff. For wealth. Not to make quick profits etc. Really interesting vids he does. 😊

Yep I’m subbed to him mate :) 

2 hours ago, FlorinCollector said:

Buying monthly regardless of price has found me in a good place so far. 🙏🙏

I understand this and I think many think the same as you, it evens itself out eventually but imagine paying £500 a sovereign. I’m sweating just at the thought.

I remeber not so many years ago (2017/2018) ish seeing the price of a sovereign just go past £200 and thinking, “I’m not paying that, a sovereign was £185 last month”.

I can laugh about it now, through gritted teeth. 😬

its tricky when you become emotionally attached to a price..  its worse in silver where the margins get compressed then expand again as people become accustomed to the new normal over time..

eventually a sov will cost a grand.. though we could see a decade of deflation and everyone will be wishing they had sold at over 300 quid. 

No Nando’s this time I’m afraid lol.

Anyway so I’m seeing a few posts above about buying whatever the price is. I find the same problem sometimes buying with emotional well not buying with emotion because of the certain price. If I purchase sovs now it will be the highest I ever paid for them. I was hoping for the 330-335 range but doesn’t look like it’s going to get down to that price for a while. Do I purchase anyway ? 

10 hours ago, Foster88 said:

I understand this and I think many think the same as you, it evens itself out eventually but imagine paying £500 a sovereign. I’m sweating just at the thought.

I remeber not so many years ago (2017/2018) ish seeing the price of a sovereign just go past £200 and thinking, “I’m not paying that, a sovereign was £185 last month”.

I can laugh about it now, through gritted teeth. 😬

Yep the lowest I ever paid was £219 a sov. There is always the chance this is the peak and we have paid too much for a few sovereigns. I think your time horizon is important. If I was closer to retirement and had a large stack I think id probably lay off and put the money to something else. I'm still in accumulating phase and have a lot of time so I'm not too bothered if we go back to £200 a sov. Would be nice. 

11 hours ago, CANV said:

eventually a sov will cost a grand.. though we could see a decade of deflation and everyone will be wishing they had sold at over 300 quid. 

When new sovereigns do cost £1,000, I expect we'd all be used to £900 for a sovereign and before that, £800 a sovereign and so on.

If we're approaching a decade of deflation, I wonder what will deflate and not only that, but what will inflate, as value doesn't just "disappear", like magic.

A drop in the housing market is my best guess and uplift in precious metals?  Possibly...

3 hours ago, FlorinCollector said:

Yep the lowest I ever paid was £219 a sov. There is always the chance this is the peak and we have paid too much for a few sovereigns. I think your time horizon is important. If I was closer to retirement and had a large stack I think id probably lay off and put the money to something else. I'm still in accumulating phase and have a lot of time so I'm not too bothered if we go back to £200 a sov. Would be nice. 

At car boot this morning someone tried to sell me a ‘half sovereign’ for ten pounds! On top of that, despite being dated as virtually brand new it was the most amazing yellow gold colour!

I totally agree with @FlorinCollector about buying at any price. Even £50 movements in 1oz seems a lot but in the grand scheme of things is nothing. I started buying when spot was under £1000 and used to kick myself of tiny movements in spot then.

Try not to think about the price next week, but next decade.

1 minute ago, SidS said:

I'm thinking about the price in 2201, I'll be quids in by then. Only one small problem though... 😁

I know its a joke but that is why everyone offers different advice. If you are 60 odd you aren't waiting 30 years to realise the investment. However, if you are 20 not a problem generally. 

Pay little attention to the price, during 2021 the price was fustrating to witness and be a part of, it would take a lot of small incremental upward price movements to hit round figures but then gets smacked down in an afternoon session. 

Now we have seen good upward movements on the back of this Ukraine war/crisis .

To the newbies focus on the weight and not the price, it will be a different mentality from the new herd who are entering the precious metals market.