• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

6 hours ago, CazLikesCoins said:

Two nice shiny 2022 Elizabeth II sovereigns bought earlier in the week from Costco of all places.

😮 Costco? Blimey? I'd never have thought it. I guess the price must have been good.

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

1 minute ago, Earthmetal said:

😮 Costco? Blimey? I'd never have thought it. I guess the price must have been good.

I paid £410 per, so not that good a price really after looking at what a bullion sovereign can go for on here. I should have taken out a paid membership sooner and got a cheaper deal. I'll know better in future :) 

39 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

Guess you like the design then 😉  that's some haul and hopefully some modern classics down the line

What’s not to like - Queens beasts does the sovereign.

Just inspecting everything before Dave sends to the NGC. One more kit waiting on but the bulk is ready.

On 11/02/2023 at 12:27, AuricGoldfinger said:

I’ll never understand why the mint chooses a colour that everyone hates.

Copper is cheaper than silver 

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

3 hours ago, stackerp5 said:

The amount of silver needed to lift the colour up on a sov (less than 0.5%) would cost about 1.5p per coin.  I'm sure the extra sales and the ability to charge a bit more for a more desirable coin would make that a drop in the ocean.

My working hypothesis is that actual gold sovereigns would cannibalise sales of other, more profitable 1/4oz products like Brits or QBs that they can charge higher premiums on, so the sovereigns are made as un-desirable as they can within the constraints of the sov's legal specification.  As this only stipulates the dimensions, weight and gold content with no reference to the base metals, they can fulfil this requirement with a gold/copper alloy.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

4 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

The amount of silver needed to lift the colour up on a sov (less than 0.5%) would cost about 1.5p per coin.  I'm sure the extra sales and the ability to charge a bit more for a more desirable coin would make that a drop in the ocean.

My working hypothesis is that actual gold sovereigns would cannibalise sales of other 1/4oz products like Brits that they can charge higher premiums on.   

Am I right in thinking that you can get "copper spots" on gold? I understand that these are similar to milk spots on silver. Are these common place? Sorry to go off topic but just starting to look at gold.

3 hours ago, HillWalkerDundee said:

Am I right in thinking that you can get "copper spots" on gold? I understand that these are similar to milk spots on silver. Are these common place? Sorry to go off topic but just starting to look at gold.

Yes, you can (see below for an example).  They're an oxidation process, chemically different from milking on silver, which is a reaction involving surface contamination on the silver from borax-based flux.  Gold would not normally oxidise in this way, but if there are impurities in the surface you can get localised electrolytic effects that cause the gold to oxidise. 

image.jpeg.8daa790539290c264a7c26c157c9e

You can remove them mechanically, and there are youtube vids on this but be careful not to scratch the coin and don't do this with proof coins as the surface is very delicate.  The material making the red spots will decompose at 160°C so they can also be removed by heating the coin with a blowtorch.  Backyard Bullion has a video showing this process.

Note that it's also possible for .999 coins to pick up specks of contaminants from the dies and environment at the mint and to develop red spots as well, but this is less common than .900/.917 coins.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

4 hours ago, HillWalkerDundee said:

You can buy copper bars in various places e.g. Amazon. I must have a look at the copper spot price per kilo. Also need a garden shed to store it. 

Spot price for copper is about $8USD per kg, but you'll pay more like £20-30/kg for bar stock from vendors.  Unless you're buying off the commodity market by the container load, speculating in physical copper isn't going to be cost-effective. 

Edited by Silverlocks

2 hours ago, stackerp5 said:

Cheap b**t@@ds! 

I love the yellow sovereigns. The 2022 and memorial sovereigns would look even better in yellow compared to the 2pence coin colour IMO. Shame really. 

*proceeds to continue purchasing copper coated sovereigns*

On 08/02/2023 at 13:25, Paul said:

Courtesy of DHL Santa ! :) Very happy. To their new home in safe deposit box now :( 

The £5 is truly stunning - I'm certain this will become a modern classic in years to come 

IMG_5243.JPG

IMG_5244.JPG

IMG_5245.JPG

IMG_5246.JPG

IMG_5247.JPG

IMG_5248.JPG

IMG_5249.JPG

IMG_5250.JPG

IMG_5251.JPG

IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_5253.JPG

IMG_5254.JPG

IMG_5255.JPG

woolitize-leprechaun-surrounded-by-a-large-stack-of-gold-coins--soft-smooth-lighting-soft-pastel-- (5).png

Absolutely stunning Paul, for my part, I have received a good four coins set, but an awful 5 coins set with 4 coins out of 5 in a bad condition...and returned to the RM of course. I just hope to get a replacement, (and a good replacement) but it seems to be a lotery !

Have you ordered the £5 BU ? I have mixed feelings with this one. The busy design is beautiful with the contrast of the fields in PF finish , but I am not sure with the matte finish...

53 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Absolutely stunning Paul, for my part, I have received a good four coins set, but an awful 5 coins set with 4 coins out of 5 in a bad condition...and returned to the RM of course. I just hope to get a replacement, (and a good replacement) but it seems to be a lotery !

Have you ordered the £5 BU ? I have mixed feelings with this one. The busy design is beautiful with the contrast of the fields in PF finish , but I am not sure with the matte finish...

I've been fortunate, all look ok to me. Returning from none UK is more hassle:( just aim to get a perfect £5 others will find their levels. Perfect £5 or full refund 

1 hour ago, Frenchie said:

You need to use my services @Frenchie  I receive coins for over seas customers for me to check it saves a lot of time if you get a dog of a coin. I can also do direct NGC submissions if you want them direct to grade.   

46 minutes ago, NGMD said:

From the Perth Mint.

Not your normal Gold haul but the Quality, colour of Quokka+Kookaburra and high relief of the Lunar is fantastic. My photo skills do not do them justice.

The spare Kook will be for sale eventually of a limited 1000 Mintage.

Really blown away considering they’re just 1oz silver.

81815612-7E07-4522-B657-8E639944E861.jpeg

8319407B-038E-4512-BD6B-9E6F91974234.jpeg

B27CCB27-200D-4C43-B3E8-B73F51258318.jpeg

B54707F2-B5DE-4B42-9B30-C39B52F71217.jpeg

D4353494-12E0-4F1B-A736-312C068FA117.jpeg

For a "reasonable" price you already have an interested party for your spare "cook". But I guess they are highly sought after and the premium was already raised from last year. 

4 minutes ago, Dawnbreaker said:

For a "reasonable" price you already have an interested party for your spare "cook". But I guess they are highly sought after and the premium was already raised from last year. 

The Mintage was 2000 and not as quoted 1000.

You could only buy 2 Proof Kook and now they’ve sold out, so I haven’t got a clue what they’ll be worth. I just loved the coins and not for investment. The HR Tiger is the best.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

You need to use my services @Frenchie  I receive coins for over seas customers for me to check it saves a lot of time if you get a dog of a coin. I can also do direct NGC submissions if you want them direct to grade.   

Thank you Dave, I am thinking about your services for conservation and grading. I'll PM you