• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

Disappointing.  

My assessment of the 5 Coin Memorial Set I received today:

All the coins have the obligatory sneeze marks/ Welsh dust and some of those hairy strands all of which, I can live with.

The 5 Sovereign has a couple of hairlines on the Obverse- ‘now you see it, now you don’t’ type, and two odd looking circular marks what I suspect are shallow, but noticeable scratches, one on the Obverse in the field at the foot of the X of Rex and on the Reverse in the field at around 1 O’clock.  
The 2 Sovereign looks ok.
The Sovereign is ok’ish- has a couple of shiny specks in the frosting and a couple of pinprick missing bits of frosting.
The Half is similar to the Sovereign and frankly, I haven’t bothered inspecting the 1/4- after all, they aren’t  a Sovereign to my mind. 

It’s definitely a very special Sovereign Set, the Reverse design is fantastic and a distinguished Portrait of the King. 

If the 5 Sovereign was perfect- I would keep this set, despite the shortcomings of the lower denominations- but there’s 5,595 reasons to send the set back for exchange.

68A7BCAD-72E0-4E5E-9A47-5DE1F0D2FD3D.thumb.jpeg.181d5c67dae79a99ab0c40c4b747810d.jpegE1F1EF7B-53FF-472C-B002-9D1CF793265A.thumb.jpeg.fbc45ea1f91af435f244b7509f6bfd51.jpeg37086F4F-48E5-4830-A59A-E430EDBE05B8.thumb.jpeg.5933878c4a575856d8d53d599765c0d1.jpeg

Edited by richatthecroft

17 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Disappointing.  

My assessment of the 5 Coin Memorial Set I received today:

All the coins have the obligatory sneeze marks/ Welsh dust and some of those hairy strands that I can live with.

The 5 Sovereign has a couple of hairlines on the Obverse- ‘now you see it, now you don’t’ type, and two odd looking circular marks what I suspect are shallow, but noticeable scratches, one on the Obverse in the field at the foot of the X of Rex and on the Reverse in the field at around 1 O’clock.  
The 2 Sovereign looks ok.
The Sovereign is ok’ish- has a couple of shiny specks in the frosting and a couple of pinprick missing bits of frosting.
The Half is similar to the Sovereign and frankly, I haven’t bothered inspecting the 1/4- after all, they aren’t  a Sovereign to my mind. 

It’s definitely a very special Sovereign Set, the Reverse design is fantastic and a distinguished Portrait of the King. 

If the 5 Sovereign was perfect- I would keep this set, despite the shortcomings of the lower denominations- but there’s 5,595 reasons to send the set back for exchange.

68A7BCAD-72E0-4E5E-9A47-5DE1F0D2FD3D.thumb.jpeg.181d5c67dae79a99ab0c40c4b747810d.jpegE1F1EF7B-53FF-472C-B002-9D1CF793265A.thumb.jpeg.fbc45ea1f91af435f244b7509f6bfd51.jpeg37086F4F-48E5-4830-A59A-E430EDBE05B8.thumb.jpeg.5933878c4a575856d8d53d599765c0d1.jpeg

So there's far more poor QC then ever before it seems.

Just now, blackadder said:

So there's far more poor QC than ever before it seems.

Sadly, I think this is true- but I think the intricate design hasn’t done them any favours in terms of the frosting problems.  For my circumstance, it’ll be worth a further wait for a replacement, it’s an incredible Reverse design and a fantastic addition for any Sovereign collector.

I also think the high quality of the Platinum Jubilee issue raised expectations that the QC for this issue would be a high standard too. 

9 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Sadly, I think this is true- but I think the intricate design hasn’t done them any favours in terms of the frosting problems.  For my circumstance, it’ll be worth a further wait for a replacement, it’s an incredible Reverse design and a fantastic addition for any Sovereign collector.

I also think the high quality of the Platinum Jubilee issue raised expectations that the QC for this issue would be a high standard too. 

seems it's more then just frosting marks for most,Even damaged booklets now :(

I sent back for a refund,as will only get someone elses return lol.

Someone will most likely get my ****ed up set as a replacement.

5 minutes ago, blackadder said:

seems it's more then just frosting marks for most,Even damaged booklets now :(

I sent back for a refund,as will only get someone elses return lol.

Someone will most likely get my ****ed up set as a replacement.

It’s frustrating and disappointing and you are right, they might well re-issue returns, but hopefully they will do the right thing and re-mint the offending coins. 

1 minute ago, richatthecroft said:

It’s frustrating and disappointing and you are right, they might well re-issue returns, but hopefully they will do the right thing and re-mint the offending coins. 

Not likely :( as they don't seem to give a terrible about anything else.They can't even pack them with any care,even after three months of waiting for the coins.

20 hours ago, Fishface220 said:

Quality control sees no issue here

Bullion standard, not proof.

Progress is a myth. Democracy is a sham. Dumbing down is real.
Throw your mobile 'phone in the bin, it will free you!
Turn your TV off, cancel your licence.
USE CASH WHEREVER POSSIBLE.

2 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Charles I (1625- 1649)

Scotland, Thirty Shillings, third coinage, fourth issue 1637- 42.  mm: Thistle (Edinburgh).  Falconer’s second issue. S.5556.  14.75grams.  

Obverse:  Sword wielding King Charles I on horseback. 'F' below the horse's hoof, rough ground below horse. Thistle at the start of the legend.  

CAROLVS · D : G · MAG · BRITAN : FRAN : ET : HIB : REX : ‘Charles, by the grace of God, King of Great Britain, France and Ireland’

Reverse: Crowned royal arms. Thistle at the start of the legend.  QVÆ · DEVS : CONIVNXIT : NEMO : SEPARET 

What God hath joined together, let no man put asunder’

Nice coin- Full flan, Lovely toning and I would say very nearly VF.

0A016DB0-15B8-4081-BF51-BC0B167D71FE.thumb.jpeg.ffb68b8d5c91be76d9942e82244c0374.jpegC26C445C-FE7F-4607-A783-D513D0EB47BA.thumb.jpeg.123cf79f56d047d3426a8daa8e129414.jpeg

F27DF7D2-608D-453E-A7A9-1F5CD6075383.thumb.png.5792e743f05c692915ef68a8d5f2c302.png7E8D82CA-8AEB-4F03-951E-9E55FDBF76CA.thumb.png.edb1f1480e7969d9fda9df90113be8f9.png

We are going to have to do TSF tour's past your collection some day, £5 entrance fee per person. My idea therefore I expect majority shareholding position.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip