• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First Charles III portrait coins

1 minute ago, Vern said:

That would be unusual. Are you sure it was for silver and not cupronickel / other ?

I've pre-ordered a silver proof 50p from a dealer and they told me about the mintage being unlimited until the end of the year, and asked if I wanted to confirm my order - which I did as I like the design.  Because of confidentiality I am not going to name the dealer.

5 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

The whole idea of a proof coin is that it has some sort of exclusivity, if it’s unlimited then it’s crazy to pay a premium for it.  

I think if you want it, you have to pay the price asked.  What it should do is take the wind out of the sales of the eBay flippers.

I am pretty certain that in the past the 1970 and 1971 GB annual proof sets were unlimited and they had fairly high premiums.  They got me interested in coins, and I wonder how many people will be attracted to coin collecting as a result of this first King Charles III release?

18 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

I think if you want it, you have to pay the price asked.  What it should do is take the wind out of the sales of the eBay flippers.

I am pretty certain that in the past the 1970 and 1971 GB annual proof sets were unlimited and they had fairly high premiums.  They got me interested in coins, and I wonder how many people will be attracted to coin collecting as a result of this first King Charles III release?

Without a doubt it will be popular, I’m going to wait and see what the mintages are, no way will I buy something now with a potential high mintage, the I can pick up later for less then RRP. 

6 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Without a doubt it will be popular, I’m going to wait and see what the mintages are, no way will I buy something now with a potential high mintage, the I can pick up later for less then RRP. 

This probably highlights the difference between a collector and a stacker!  A collector wants something when it is released whereas a stacker is happy to wait in the hope of getting it at the best possible price!

7 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

This probably highlights the difference between a collector and a stacker!  A collector wants something when it is released whereas a stacker is happy to wait in the hope of getting it at the best possible price!

Thought you were saying it’s December delivery…….what do you class that as? A collector that pays up front to wait over 2 months.  By time it turns up you forgot that you ordered it………I must be the best collector here I order a my 1kg silver proof Gothic pair in December 2021 and it’s still not been delivered!…….light weights only waiting for a few weeks try a year! 🤣🤣😁

I'm located in Canada, and 9AM UK time would be after midnight my time!

So I guess I would not sleep today to be able to get in the queue tomorrow morning........😴

Should I login into the Royal Mint website exactly at 9:00AM UK time or 8:15AM to be in the queue?

4 minutes ago, Dakaras said:

Start my new job at 9am think it will be ok to ask to start half hour later? That won't make a bad impression first day will it? 

Half hour? You’re being hopeful! Or do you do something we mere mortals don’t know about?🤔🤔😁

8 hours ago, Zhorro said:

They got me interested in coins, and I wonder how many people will be attracted to coin collecting as a result of this first King Charles III release?

This should, in theory, be a very unpopular release going by the majority of comments and jokes alike on the forum for the past two years of those who’ve said “I’ll never buy a coin with Charles on” ……..etc.

But we all know that’s a lie and they do too.

I can say one thing, I’ll need a bloody long lie down in 2023, what a year this has been for numismatists.

Oh actually, did someone say a Coronation in 2023?

Make that scheduled lie down, 2024.

(I mean comments seen on the forum BEFORE HM The Queen passed away)

54 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

This should, in theory, be a very unpopular release going by the majority of comments and jokes alike on the forum for the past two years of those who’ve said “I’ll never buy a coin with Charles on” ……..etc.

But we all know that’s a lie and they do too.

I can say one thing, I’ll need a bloody long lie down in 2023, what a year this has been for numismatists.

Oh actually, did someone say a Coronation in 2023?

Make that scheduled lie down, 2024.

(I mean comments seen on the forum BEFORE HM The Queen passed away)

Yep, it's like every proof I buy is damaged and returned, I always say never again...but I know I'll be queueing tomorrow....we all will

15 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

£99.50 now for a 1oz silver proof coin worth £17.38p.................Wowzers!  

I could get two Vicky Young Head crowns for that. I could get three Jubilee Head ones - admittedly not UNC.

15 minutes ago, Chrisplym said:

@GoldDiggerDave Good morning Dave. Do you know the mintage of the 50p gold?

No I've been trying to find that out all weekend, no one knows with this launch.  I'm just hoping it's not stilly high mintages considering the £1,195 price bump. 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

25 minutes ago, SidS said:

I could get two Vicky Young Head crowns for that. I could get three Jubilee Head ones - admittedly not UNC.

Too right, the RM are really pushing modern collectors.  I like ancient gold and it's criminally cheap compared to modern gold.  

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Some sets, with a £1.50 base metal 1953 crown no doubt 900% over priced.  

Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 06.05.30.png

Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 06.09.31.png

Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 06.10.23.png

Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 06.11.11.png

Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 06.11.48.png

I take it then that you’re not buying anything today?🤔😁😁