• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First Charles III portrait coins

Lovely coins. Agree with @BackyardBullion’s video (just released today) that the second crown/£5 (on the right) is not so desirable.

Agree that the portrait is very good. I won’t be getting any of these though. Whilst I like the 50p I just don’t have the space for anything silver at the moment and the gold mintage will likely mean it’s difficult to get hold of. I also spent a bit too much at the last Coin Cabinet auction…😐

Will wait for the sovereign sets. Looking forward to seeing the new 2023 coins!

1 hour ago, thegreywizard said:

So what is this queue process for the RM website?

I just ordered a 2022 Britannia Proof last week, so I have an account created.

Do I need to queue for each coin, or just to get into the website itself?

Once I'm let in, can I buy multiple coins?

I would want one of each of the silver Proofs

I actually really like them both and of course this is history in the making!

I normally only collect 1oz rounds, is the 5 Pounds coin a 1oz round? 

Looks like it would be based on the size compared to the other 50p offering.

I would love to pick up both of these now and hopefully a 2023 Britannia Proof with KCIII.

If I can get my hands on these 2 first coins, I would probably try to complete the set as they're released now that I'm in the game and on deck tracking all of this.

And since I'm in the US, this would go live for me Sunday evening right?  Does anyone know what time EST it would be?

Ok so it seems these are going on sale at 9am UK time on Monday.

That puts me at 3am EST, 6 hours behind.

I'll set my alarm for 2:50am and hope to grab one of each of the silver Proofs!

Would still love to know how the queue process works so I get in as fast as possible and not stumbling when it opens.

Thanks!

Edited by thegreywizard

1 hour ago, thegreywizard said:

So what is this que process for the RM website?

I just ordered a 2022 Britannia Proof last week, so I have an account created.

Do I need to que for each coin, or just to get into the website itself?

Once I'm let in, can I buy multiple coins?

I would want one of each of the silver Proofs

I actually really like them both and of course this is history in the making!

I normally only collect 1oz rounds, is the 5 Pounds coin a 1oz round? 

Looks like it would be based on the size compared to the other 50p offering.

I would love to pick up both of these now and hopefully a 2023 Britannia Proof with KCIII.

If I can get my hands on these 2 first coins, I would probably try to complete the set as they're released now that I'm in the game and on deck tracking all of this.

And since I'm in the US, this would go live for me Sunday evening right?  Does anyone know what time EST it would be?

Qué?

😎

Chards

1 minute ago, Zhorro said:

I've heard that the mintage for the silver 50p proof is unlimited until the end of the year.  Does this change your view on the coin?  Delivery time could be up to four months.

Heard? Contacts in the mint?🤔🫢😁

4 minutes ago, Petra said:

Heard? Contacts in the mint?🤔🫢😁

This morning I asked a dealer if I could pre-order the silver proof 50p.  They were happy to take my order, but warned me that the mintage was unlimited until the end of the year and that delivery could be up to four months - which I thought was quite good of them to do.  I am not going to name the dealer for the sake of confidentiality.

Whilst some people may not like an unlimited mintage, it should attract people to coin collecting and stimulate demand for past and future releases.  Also, imagine the publicity the RM would get if there were problems with their website thus preventing people from buying the coins!

BBC News highlighted the coins again at 6pm and at 6.30pm. Tried to access the RM website and I’m at 1062 in the queue 😂

Folks getting excited already. 

Really?  I just quickly pulled up the website and logged back in and seem to be able to browse the shop.

Is there something/an area that I'm missing?

Edited by thegreywizard

CoinUnveiling the First Official Effigy of King Charles III
on a Coinage Collection Honouring
Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II

Today we are honoured to reveal the first official effigy of His Majesty King Charles III appearing for the first time on a memorial coin collection honouring the life and legacy of Queen Elizabeth II.

At The Royal Mint, we have struck coins for the British monarchy for more than 1,100 years, and it has been our pride and privilege to strike every United Kingdom coin of Queen Elizabeth II’s remarkable 70-year reign. It is our honour to now strike the first UK effigy of His Majesty King Charles III on a coinage collection honouring the life and legacy of his mother Queen Elizabeth II.

Designed by British sculptor Martin Jennings and personally approved by His Majesty The King, the first definitive coinage portrait of the monarch appears on each new coin in the collection. In line with royal and numismatic tradition, His Majesty’s portrait faces left. Coins bearing portraits of Queen Elizabeth II and King Charles III will both circulate in change for years to come.

On 3 October 2022, we are honoured to be releasing a special collection of memorial coins to mark this poignant moment in British history. Featuring one of three reverse designs, each new coin in the collection features the official coinage portrait of King Charles III. The UK 50p coin will also enter general circulation.

takeover-dt-support image-1600x800-qeii_memorial.jpg

Register to be amongst the first to be notified on coins bearing the new effigy and the Memorial Coin Collection. Launching 3 October 2022 at 9am (BST).

https://www.royalmint.com/

on the landing page now - wonder if itll be busy on Monday - i guess so 

7 minutes ago, thegreywizard said:

Really?  I just quickly pulled up the website and logged back in and seem to be able to browse the shop.

Is there something/an area that I'm missing?

It’s working fine now. I literally tried browsing RM website just after the bbc broadcast and they put me in the queue. Good practice for Monday morning. 🤣

The queue bit is simple.
When you try to go to the Royal Mint site, instead of going to whichever page you have bookmarked, you'll get a page up telling you that you are in the queue & how many people are ahead of you.

How do I know this?

Because, as a newbie who only started my little collection last December, I turned up on the Royal Mint website to buy a silver 1oz bullion Britannia the day the Jubilee coins got released.
I had no clue what was going on, so waited patiently to buy my Britannia, totally passed by all the Jubilee coins which were in stock at the time as I didn't know they would sell out so fast & later came back to buy one long after they were all sold out.

I think the pictures of Queen Elizabeth look odd because we aren't used to seeing her in 3/4 profile, but I suppose if she were in the traditional coin profile as Charles is, she would dominate the coin due to being the 'head' for so many decades.

The Charles III image isn't bad at all, but he does look a little doleful.

On the plus side, I keep all my coins with the back displayed anyway so the Monarch on the front isn't so important.

Hello all btw, first post here as I only joined a short while ago - love the Backyard Bullion videos on You Tube which led me here.

Edited by Essendie
wrong word used.

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:Also, imagine the publicity the RM would get if there were problems with their website thus preventing people from buying the coins!

You mean when the website does crash on Monday morning with every man and his dog trying to get on.

I can see the headlines now “Many queued today on the Royal Mint website and caused a crash”.

Like it’ll be ‘news’, but we’ve all been there before. 🙄

23 minutes ago, AurumArgenti said:

Does that not cool everyone's jets on here knowing that there's no cap on the supply? 

They ain't going to cheap either.

18 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

It's surely only the cupronickel buncs that will have no limit.

I don’t suppose anyone will truly know until Monday.

If going off the prices of the previous, most recent silver proof 50p’s with limited mintage and a cost of between roughly £55-£65 ish. Then I doubt the first silver proof Charles III 50p will be unlimited so @paulmerton you might be correct.

Otherwise, if the proofs are unlimited, there’s no want to buy for the scarcity of them.

I presume and some may have already asked this earlier in the thread, will these only be available in proof form in a three coin set, individually or both?

For me the Gold 50p had to be a realistic low mintage, 400-600 if the mintage is going to be high I won’t be buying……but this is a secondary issue, as we won’t have this information until Monday, so I will try and buy and see what happens…….I’m still waiting for my 1kg silver Gothics 

Everyone desperate to buy, after an initial surge, any higher prices probably won’t materialise for some time. Apart from maundy sets (which are usually pretty pricey), any other Elizabeth stuff going for a premium now that she has passed away?