• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

41 minutes ago, sg86 said:

1871 Sydney Shield - Strange R in GRATIA and F/E in DEF

I discovered this variety last year and have just found another this morning to confirm there are more out there, it's a nice error considering so few exist within the Sydney shield series :)

DSC08323.thumb.JPG.caa2d2bbee4fe7271d64d81bbee5f01d.JPG

DSC08329.thumb.JPG.d1a3317d2b09a78241bf1e8ab41c0c44.JPG

I was just thinking that you did have an unusual letter before. Was it the same coin/could you post both next to each other?

18 minutes ago, augur said:

I was just thinking that you did have an unusual letter before. Was it the same coin/could you post both next to each other?

Yes another one from the same die which is why I posted, I'm sure you wasn't a non-believer? :D

You can see all the same traits including the tooling marks under her chin.

I have a number of new varieties that I've confirmed by having multiples of now 😋

DSC08332-2.thumb.JPG.d57d0a9825471adda0320ab2de3d910a.JPG

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

9 minutes ago, sg86 said:

Yes another one from the same die which is why I posted, I'm sure you wasn't a non-believer? :D

You can see all the same traits including the tooling marks under her chin.

DSC08332-2.thumb.JPG.d57d0a9825471adda0320ab2de3d910a.JPG

I really wonder how this strange R punch came about... 

6 minutes ago, augur said:

I really wonder how this strange R punch came about... 

Same, I've spoken to a few leading Numismatics about it and the only explanation was an extra burr of metal on the punch that wasn't filed off before use, and the fact there are a few errors on the coin suggests it could have been an apprentices attempt that made it into production?

I think I have a few other errors with a similar burr on a different letter, when I've finished the bulk of the cataloguing work I'm going to do a few write ups on each error

Edited by sg86

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

2 hours ago, Zhorro said:

My 2019 Brilliant Uncirculated Matt Finish sovereign arrived today.

The pictures of both coins on the Royal Mint’s web site are shown in a weird colour which almost defies description but which bears no relation to the colour of gold, hence the reason I was keen to do an actual comparison with the proof 2019 sovereign that I already had.

The most immediate thing one notices is the packaging.  The “matt finish” sovereign comes in a basic cardboard box whereas the proof sovereign was in one of the prestigious wooden boxes.  Also the coin capsule with the “matt finish” sovereign seems to be smaller!

I do think that “Brilliant Uncirculated” and “Matt Finish” are contradictions in terms!  Surely something is either “brilliant” or “matt”, so can it really be both? 

To me, the new sovereign does not look to be very “Matt”.  It is certainly has a different finish to both the proof and regular bullion sovereigns, but I am not sure I would call it “Matt”.

MATTvPROOF1.png

MATTvPROOF2.png

Yes all true ive got both as well if you look at your pictures the capsule is a bit smaller. Also i would say it.s more of a saturn finish 

10 minutes ago, sg86 said:

1879 Sydney - C over O in VICTORIA

This is recorded as a variety in the Quartermaster collection and then later in the Bentley collection, but it's more likely to me that it's a die flaw, will have a better look with scope on second pass!

Regardless it's a nice example apart from the edge nick, valued at 7000 in McDonald catalog as only a few examples known to exist

DSC08338.thumb.JPG.2f0fc75a2e41f5fcea1d59ea4769128e.JPG

DSC08340.thumb.JPG.9fda6f9ab7a05f38d6599116687da697.JPG

Those sovereigns look very cool all stacked up.

9 minutes ago, Bullionaire said:

Those sovereigns look very cool all stacked up.

Nothing like some stacked sovereigns in the Bokeh 😂

The Gold Sovereign

10 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Today I received a small group order for members of the family and some friends, none of it for me lol, but I am getting close to getting something big now.

I really like the design on the Aztec round, even magnified there is so much detail on it.

Here is the coins guarded by one of the rarest guns in my collection a Beretta Model 1922,  43,000 of these guns were manufactured (small amount in military numbers) and only 200 of those were marked to the R(anchor symbol)M or Regia Marina (royal navy), Beretta despite making guns for 100's of years were quite late on the semi automatic pistol front and were releasing new models almost every year, the hotpotch of different colours and finishes is all correct for this model gun, bronze coloured slide, dark blued frame and barrel and stamped steel grips (commercial ones had wooden grips).

Sadly the few of these guns that have survived have little of their original finish remaining making this one even more rare.

DSCN1350.thumb.JPG.0852891a3f850fba4763aa91b4e4be53.JPG

DSCN1374.thumb.JPG.f3663dab93235eddc4ffdbd50c29c8d8.JPG

love the aztec round, beautiful, id love a tube, can i ask how much did it work out on the group order? and nice oldie pistol you have there, grip end reminds of the tokarev, wonder if this was inspiration for the tokarev

The hunt is on!

Follow my Morgan dollar quest and watch other video's on my YouTube channel: Peacemaker

47 minutes ago, SilverPanFan said:

@ZhorroI'm waiting for the day when one of the countries that used the sovereign would make a rose gold sovereign. 

All the modern sovs look rose gold to me 😛 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

On 02/03/2019 at 17:16, DaveWheat89 said:

love the aztec round, beautiful, id love a tube, can i ask how much did it work out on the group order? and nice oldie pistol you have there, grip end reminds of the tokarev, wonder if this was inspiration for the tokarev

I paid £125 for the lot, mates rates ;), yes I could get them cheaper from here but the recipents are all people I see on a weekly basis, so no faffing around with posting or the costs/stress involved, and at the end of the day its their money and as long as I get them cheaper than whats being advertised on the main dealers websites they are happy, only one of them is a stacker/collector and not heavily into it at the moment.

Yeah the grips do resemble the TT33 pistol a bit, no idea whether they copied or not, the TT33 was a mix of other makers guns, (Browning 1903 being the main one), but firing a far more powerful round.

Edited by SILVERFINGER

I picked up a couple of the last Summer, to add to my "spread/double eagle silver coin theme" collection that I've got going.

It's worth having a look at some of the Italian Mussolini-era silver coins from the late 1920's that sit well alongside these German ones.

Edited by Fastnick