• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

It's always a gutter not getting a full 70 run but if there is any second best outcome I think you got it. 

As we discussed via pm I wasn't bothered, the quintuple was the only one that truly mattered, maybe the double too, everything else was a bonus. I think these coins will be future clasics and I'm happy with what I have.

3 hours ago, JamesH said:

Today is indeed a Good Friday. Coins of the Realm just emailed to confirm a PF70 UCAM for my memorial Sov. Very happy with that and can now just stick with bullion Sovs and not worry about quality/grading etc

@JamesH when did you send them in to cotr if you don’t mind me asking as I’m waiting on my 5 coin set with bated breath 

1 hour ago, Spanishsilver said:

@JamesH when did you send them in to cotr if you don’t mind me asking as I’m waiting on my 5 coin set with bated breath 

Hi @Spanishsilver I actually bought the sovereign through them upon release and they conserve/package/send off for grading etc without me ever having actually seen the coin. I don’t have it yet, but just received the email to confirm the grade and slab details etc. Hopefully it’ll be on its way to me soon 👍🏼

Advice needed:..........................please 🙏

I want to buy one of these two £5 proof coins --- but both have some imperfections:

No.1's obverse is perfect; but the reverse has a few shinning spots, very small and light though.

As the reserve pattern is very busy, so it's not very obvious to spot. Takes time to see them:

image.thumb.jpeg.11d6ad90fb3fd6acfb6f35a7909769ca.jpeg

No.2's (below) reverse is perfect; but on the obverse Charles has a shining mole. 

It's not big, but obverse has a clean look, so it's not hard to find it:

image.thumb.jpeg.5b551042d04943d247215c1978f1db34.jpeg

Please advise which one shall I pick? Thank you❤️

I would say it all depends on the price difference and if you are after grading. The above top coin looks like something is at 7 clockface position. To me that stands out a lot more then where you put your marker. It might be from the capsule. 

For me if the only problem with the bottom coin is that mole, I would take that. 

If they are priced as perfect coins, then I would not buy either and wait for the perfect coin.

Never Chase and Never Regret 

On 08/04/2023 at 06:31, GoldDiggerDave said:

I am not defending any mint here......My 10 pence worth.  

All proof coins have some manufacturing  imperfections to some degree that is a fact, I handle, grade and QC check more than many people on here.   Is there such thing as a "perfect coin"?  Answer no.   

Ultimately you have to be happy with what you are buying however you also need to realise "proof" does not mean perfect.   I know I might get a bit of a backlashing for saying this but it's the absolute truth and honesty.   Do I return some coins?  Yes but also I do understand how coins grade.   

The Jubilees sovereigns had the same amount of imperfections, they suffered with very greasy fields and loads of "die pick up"  and they did not get anywhere close to the scrutiny the memorials are getting.......It was always going to be the case that with a heavily frosted design.

You are paying a lot of money and you have the right to be critical, however you are likely never to be happy with the full set of coins you receive from anyone, and its very unlikely the replacement will be any better and it will not be 100% perfection.  

The buying to grade and flip,unless it is absolute perfection back it goes. Don't get me wrong for the  RRP RM charges standards should be ridiculously high. But with this buy to grade, to flip unless it nets a 70 artificially has changed the market. Honestly if you hid the grades on a slab who could identify the difference between a 69 and a 70

I put a sneaky bid in on 2017 £5 sov in 69 and it looks totally perfect. But the difference between a 69 and 70 is a thousand quid or two 

It's daft.

What happened to buy the coin not the grade 

Honestly there may be riches in niches buying up ugly duckling 69s for years to come if the market sentiment changes 

40 minutes ago, Paul said:

The buying to grade and flip,unless it is absolute perfection back it goes. Don't get me wrong for the  RRP RM charges standards should be ridiculously high. But with this buy to grade, to flip unless it nets a 70 artificially has changed the market. Honestly if you hid the grades on a slab who could identify the difference between a 69 and a 70

I put a sneaky bid in on 2017 £5 sov in 69 and it looks totally perfect. But the difference between a 69 and 70 is a thousand quid or two 

It's daft.

What happened to buy the coin not the grade 

Honestly there may be riches in niches buying up ugly duckling 69s for years to come if the market sentiment changes 

Hi Paul,

I'm in the process of filming a YT video with the 2oz silver Gothic's both the portrait and the Quartered Arms reverse and I have a good selection borrowed form a few people from PF70UC to PF67UC.  I've done this to see if its possible to see the difference between the grades and you can see the differences in some case though very slight.  

I totally get it and if you are paying double the price for a proof sovereign over a bullion  then it's got to be the best possible, however if theres a tiny bit of frosting missing it's unlikely to effect grading unless it's in a very prominent place, but I can understand people not wanting to take that risk.  

Best advice I can give is get to know the market and know how certain types of coins grade, proof sovereigns have always graded well, the information is there for all to see in the population reports.   Silver proof coins are being mauled to death by both NGC and PCGS for some reason, if there was a silver I wanted PF70UC then I would buy a few of them and put then in for grading.  

Hope you do well with the 2017, if you want it decanting and resubmitting give me a shout!  

I FINALLY received my 2022 QEII Memorial Silver Set today!  I was expecting a different coin, but this was a nice surprise because I practically forgot about ordering it in early December.  The set is very nice and is well presented in a beautiful case.  It was sent to me here in the US via UPS Express, and I finally got it 4 months after I ordered it.  Oh well, better late than never!

On 08/04/2023 at 00:31, GoldDiggerDave said:

I am not defending any mint here......My 10 pence worth.  

All proof coins have some manufacturing  imperfections to some degree that is a fact, I handle, grade and QC check more than many people on here.   Is there such thing as a "perfect coin"?  Answer no.   

Ultimately you have to be happy with what you are buying however you also need to realise "proof" does not mean perfect.   I know I might get a bit of a backlashing for saying this but it's the absolute truth and honesty.   Do I return some coins?  Yes but also I do understand how coins grade.   

The Jubilees sovereigns had the same amount of imperfections, they suffered with very greasy fields and loads of "die pick up"  and they did not get anywhere close to the scrutiny the memorials are getting.......It was always going to be the case that with a heavily frosted design.

You are paying a lot of money and you have the right to be critical, however you are likely never to be happy with the full set of coins you receive from anyone, and its very unlikely the replacement will be any better and it will not be 100% perfection.  

Absolutely correct!  These coins are rarely, if ever, perfect.

1 hour ago, dioarn said:

which size of the proof sovereign is most sought in general? 

£1 no doubt. £5 are very desirable but often too expensive to be a "popular" choice. I feel that few people want the £2 as you could often fine proof special reverse £2 and £1 at similar prices on the secondary market.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

2 hours ago, dioarn said:

which size of the proof sovereign is most sought in general? 

Its very simple with a special reverse year 5 coin set.  

The 5 is very likely to cover or very close to covering the purchase price of the full set if its a PF70UC, then the full is main coin after that.  The half's will do well I feel going forward as the prices rise the half may appeal to the more modest collector. 

13 minutes ago, BiigT said:

Absolutely chuffed to bits with my first ever grading submission. I decided to take the plunge myself and filled in the forms, took the coins to the NGC office and had the very nervy experience of decanting said coins into the grading flips. It wasn't the easiest thing to do, but I got some advice from someone more experienced and I'm glad I've done it. Top grades all round and Defo one to put away as a long term investment 👌🏼🎊

Screenshot_20230414-084231~2.png

Screenshot_20230414-084242~2.png

Screenshot_20230414-084209~2.png

Screenshot_20230414-084221~2.png

Screenshot_20230414-084254~2.png

Great job 👏 - well done. 

11 minutes ago, MickB said:

Nice find 

Edited by Paul

28 minutes ago, MickB said:

Priced at the same as royal mint RRP at launch

13 minutes ago, goldhunter said:

Its interesting the number of quality control issues highlighted with these sets but every 5sov has achieved a 70 grade with NGC

Perhaps if a 69 grade turns up it will be worth more than a 70 grade because of its scarcity

Hope so I've got three of the buggers now  gathering dust in their metal coffin in the safe deposit box