• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

6 hours ago, goldhunter said:

Its interesting the number of quality control issues highlighted with these sets but every 5sov has achieved a 70 grade with NGC

I assume that’s because defects like missing frosting (which is the most common complaint I’ve seen for gold coins) are considered production defects and therefore “ignored” by the grading companies, and don’t affect the coins’ grades?

19 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I assume that’s because defects like missing frosting (which is the most common complaint I’ve seen for gold coins) are considered production defects and therefore “ignored” by the grading companies, and don’t affect the coins’ grades?

I have a PF70 QB completer that has a bit missing on the neck of the portrait, so I guess that's right. You can have mint defects and they don't count as post-production imperfection.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

2 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I have a PF70 QB completer that has a bit missing on the neck of the portrait, so I guess that's right. You can have mint defects and they don't count as post-production imperfection.

Even knowing there's missing frosting I'd actually offer you more than spot for that! 

13 minutes ago, Spanishsilver said:

Not that I can see

They certainly were active at some point, however RM confirmed that this was an error (please see below). Good news everyone, the second market will not be flooded with new proof memorials 🤪

5157131E-EBCB-4280-B7C1-A3459966D903.jpeg

2 minutes ago, dvl said:

They certainly were active at some point, however RM confirmed that this was an error (please see below). Good news everyone, the second market will not be flooded with new proof memorials 🤪

I can concur when you did first link it, it was showing 10 4 coin sets for sale and the 5's available to order. ! 

15 minutes ago, goldhunter said:

No big uptick on these 5sov sets graded pf70.

Last 3 sold on ebay went for around 15% over raw coin issue price.

could be a slow burner i guess.

I think it will be, actually can't see how it won't be

2 hours ago, goldhunter said:

No big uptick on these 5sov sets graded pf70.

Last 3 sold on ebay went for around 15% over raw coin issue price.

could be a slow burner i guess.

I definitely think this will be a long-term investment and the same with the Coronation coins. People just don't have the money right now, in general, to be dropping thousands on sets - especially with how much 'out of schedule' product the Royal Mint has released in the past 6 months.

5 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I will always say buy what you like and understand your own reasons for buying as people buy for different reasons and different goals.........I remember only a few months ago people were poo pooing all over the mid year jubilee sovereigns and the second QEII sadly passed away the same people who were nay saying were falling over each other to then try and scoop them up.

I'm a collector first so I have a rule "buy what you like"  if you do then theres zero pain holding your coins until you decide to sell them if you do at all.  I think some people over look the joy of the hobby as are turned towards the coins other people covert rather than the ones they like.

My logic as a massive sovereign collector,  to even be alive and have the money at the point and time there is a change in monarchy and being able to buy a 5 coin proof set is truly a gift for me, will these be a slower burner in terms of aftermarket sales?  Absolutely this was always going to be the case, due to some of the points you mention as we were hit with 2 proof sovereign launches in the same year two  proof and two "mid year BU's"  so of course it will place pressure on buyers,  not all some  have endless reserves so best not to forget that even though it might not be the case for everyone.

Agree there is a lot of new coins coming out and it's just too much IMO not just the money aspect, its can be simply exhausting so I will take launches off as I did with the petition crown I did not buy any at all even though they are a very nice coin in hand, I like what the RM did and hope to see more raised edge lettering going forward.

We do live in an "instant" world with people with very short attention spans and if something does not quadruple in price it certainly shakes those who have bought for the wrong reason and especially those who can't afford to hold them out of the tree.    I was scooping 2017 proof sovereigns up for a friction over and some at RRP 3-4 months after the RM release........There's money to be made from those with weak hands.

“There’s money to be made from those weak hands….”  Classic quote 😂😀

18 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I will always say buy what you like and understand your own reasons for buying as people buy for different reasons and different goals.........I remember only a few months ago people were poo pooing all over the mid year jubilee sovereigns and the second QEII sadly passed away the same people who were nay saying were falling over each other to then try and scoop them up.

I'm a collector first so I have a rule "buy what you like"  if you do then theres zero pain holding your coins until you decide to sell them if you do at all.  I think some people over look the joy of the hobby as are turned towards the coins other people covert rather than the ones they like.

My logic as a massive sovereign collector,  to even be alive and have the money at the point and time there is a change in monarchy and being able to buy a 5 coin proof set is truly a gift for me, will these be a slower burner in terms of aftermarket sales?  Absolutely this was always going to be the case, due to some of the points you mention as we were hit with 2 proof sovereign launches in the same year two  proof and two "mid year BU's"  so of course it will place pressure on buyers,  not all some  have endless reserves so best not to forget that even though it might not be the case for everyone.

Agree there is a lot of new coins coming out and it's just too much IMO not just the money aspect, its can be simply exhausting so I will take launches off as I did with the petition crown I did not buy any at all even though they are a very nice coin in hand, I like what the RM did and hope to see more raised edge lettering going forward.

We do live in an "instant" world with people with very short attention spans and if something does not quadruple in price it certainly shakes those who have bought for the wrong reason and especially those who can't afford to hold them out of the tree.    I was scooping 2017 proof sovereigns up for a friction over and some at RRP 3-4 months after the RM release........There's money to be made from those with weak hands.

👏🏽 You’ve made so many great points, all of which I completely agree with. 🙂

On 14/04/2023 at 18:07, goldhunter said:

Its interesting the number of quality control issues highlighted with these sets but every 5sov has achieved a 70 grade with NGC

Perhaps if a 69 grade turns up it will be worth more than a 70 grade because of its scarcity

image.thumb.png.048eed323a92ac8a754bc96d0e6fb35b.png

6 out of 78 so far.

On 17/04/2023 at 14:52, dvl said:

Looks like The Royal Mint IT department have made another so called error..They are back online again... cannot see me dealing with these buffoons ever again.. 

Screenshot_20230419-171516_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230419-171243_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Maxx546

5 minutes ago, Maxx546 said:

Looks like The Royal Mint IT department have made another error..They are back online again... cannot see me dealing with these buffoons ever again.. 

Screenshot_20230419-171516_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230419-171243_Chrome.jpg

Dont blame the IT guy, its the ones with the purse strings that arent giving them the budget more likely :) 

Just gave TRM a call. Apparently those restocks aren't a mistake & are genuine 🤔 Perhaps product that has been returned?

Then again, I'd take that with a pinch of salt. I'd say they're more likely to take your money and hold onto it for a few weeks before issuing a refund.

Edited by BOOLIAN

1 hour ago, BOOLIAN said:

Just gave TRM a call. Apparently those restocks aren't a mistake & are genuine 🤔 Perhaps product that has been returned?

Then again, I'd take that with a pinch of salt. I'd say they're more likely to take your money and hold onto it for a few weeks before issuing a refund.

Surely they can’t do this as it goes against what they previously stated in writing?