• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

On 30/03/2023 at 13:02, dioarn said:

my  BU matt finish has arrived very disappointed:

1. The BU 2022 queen version sovereign looks  very different from its Proof version, probably because there is lots of empty space. but this Memorial BU feels the same with the proof.  

2. lots of quality issues both back and front 😭

Question: Is BU version generally less well received by the market than the proof version?  how did the 2022 BU sovereign do? Thinking to refund rather than replacement. 

Also, what's the market price for the 5 coin memorial proof set now? 

IMG_0315.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.578935c2c3c098afb74d229f251ec366.jpeg

The proof £5 sov will always have more demand than the £5 sov BU as it's the flagship sovereign.  The matt BU's are nice I like the semi pearlescent finish on the coins, I have the £5 sov BU Jubilee graded and locked away for the future.  

The raw 5 coin sets are generally retailing around 6.3-6.5k currently. 

5 hours ago, MergingCultures said:

Btw we are a month out to the coronation, any more news on what we can expect?!

A dealer has confirmed there will be a coronation SOTD sovereign,  RRP £850 - so this will make it the most expensive SOTD (the Brexit one was £800).

Details of the coin are still embargoed.

Mintage is limited, but I don't know how limited.

2 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

A dealer has confirmed there will be a coronation SOTD sovereign,  RRP £850 - so this will make it the most expensive SOTD (the Brexit one was £800).

Very interesting and expensive! Any news on the design?

Edited by Chrisplym

6 hours ago, MergingCultures said:

The memorial proofs don't seem to be going for too much on eBay. All around £600 (standard not graded). I'd have thought they'd be closer to their Jubilee cousins.

Btw we are a month out to the coronation, any more news on what we can expect?!

I think I saw a topic by @Paul a day or two ago about the latest @CoinsOfTheRealmAuctions where even some of the Jubilees didn't sell (apologies if I have that wrong, happy to be corrected :) ).

11 minutes ago, Chrisplym said:

Very interesting and expensive! Any news on the design?

No, I've heard nothing about the design other than the coin is different from the usual SOTD sovereigns - so whether it is a unique design (i.e. only available as a SOTD), I don't know.

As usual it will be BU and not proof.

Edited by Zhorro
Clarification

I believe it will be a shield that may be used a lot going forward. We may not see Pistrucci’s George and the Dragon again for a while. 

I’m quite happy with this. I love the shield designs. I won’t be buying them though. I spend too much on jubilee head and old head Vic halves. The part of my collection that irritates me the most is the half sovereign 1893-1910 Vic and Ed coins. I don’t mind the GV 1911-1926 as you can get super high grades that look brand new. The colour is also perfect.

27 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I believe it will be a shield that may be used a lot going forward. We may not see Pistrucci’s George and the Dragon again for a while. 

I’m quite happy with this. I love the shield designs. I won’t be buying them though. I spend too much on jubilee head and old head Vic halves. The part of my collection that irritates me the most is the half sovereign 1893-1910 Vic and Ed coins. I don’t mind the GV 1911-1926 as you can get super high grades that look brand new. The colour is also perfect.

I think there has been an announcement in the Gazette of a 2023 George and Dragon design. 

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

I think the brexit was £950 might be wrong was crazy expensive for what it was.  

7 minutes ago, dioarn said:

Is the 2022 Jubliee Sovereign doing much better than the Memorial Sovereign at the moment?  😅 Is that because of mintage? I'm talking about proof coins here. 

They peaked obviously when QEII passed away.  The Memorial was never going to be an instantly match it due to the higher mintages however I feel it will nicely appreciate like all other special reverse year sovereigns.   

26 minutes ago, dioarn said:

Is the 2022 Jubliee Sovereign doing much better than the Memorial Sovereign at the moment?  😅 Is that because of mintage? I'm talking about proof coins here. 

16 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

They peaked obviously when QEII passed away.  The Memorial was never going to be an instantly match it due to the higher mintages however I feel it will nicely appreciate like all other special reverse year sovereigns.   

I feel like the proof Memorial Sovereigns will do extremely well in future. They’ve been sandwiched better the Jubilee Sovereign and the Coronation Sovereign, so they seem less significant today. But in the years ahead, they will be sought after, as every modern Sovereign collector will want a specimen to complete their collection.

22 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Hi Guys,

For those who are interested to see how the 2022 proof sovereigns are grading  I will be updating my NGC grading post. Currently 30 out of 32 have achieved a PF70UC.  

I feel so special knowing im one of the 2 that didn't make it 🤣 at least it was only the quarter.

4 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I feel like the proof Memorial Sovereigns will do extremely well in future. They’ve been sandwiched better the Jubilee Sovereign and the Coronation Sovereign, so they seem less significant today. But in the years ahead, they will be sought after, as every modern Sovereign collector will want a specimen to complete their collection.

It's the first soverign of a new monarch and it has a special (beautiful) reverse. If this isn't a long term winner I don't know what is. 

4 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

I feel so special knowing im one of the 2 that didn't make it 🤣 at least it was only the quarter.

It's always a gutter not getting a full 70 run but if there is any second best outcome I think you got it.