• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

8 hours ago, jultorsk said:

Queen Elizabeth II Memorial Five-Sovereign Piece 2022 Brilliant Uncirculated Coin - Matt Finish

Limited Edition Presentation: 1000

Total Available: 238

--

Queen Elizabeth II Memorial Sovereign 2022 Gold Proof Coin

Limited Edition Presentation: 17500

Total Available: 3228

--

Queen Elizabeth II Memorial Half-Sovereign 2022 Gold Proof Coin

Limited Edition Presentation: 3000

Total Available: 355

--

Queen Elizabeth II Memorial Quarter-Sovereign 2022 Gold Proof Coin

Limited Edition Presentation: 3000

Total Available: 1107

Thanks for the update.... I'm getting pretty excited they're not selling out !! 

1 minute ago, SheepStacker said:

omney.png

I know right.... I bet a few of the negative people have a few of them on order. Just like anyone else, they want cancellations to make theirs more scarce. If they were sold out already no one would be cancelling so they could flip them for more than the mint is selling them. Then they'd be saying they're a bargain at their price 🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Mtaybar said:

Thanks for the update.... I'm getting pretty excited they're not selling out !! 

Likewise. There will be a maximum of 1,200 proof quintuples minted but only a maximum of 1,000 Matt/BU quintuples. The Mint still have the rest of this month to re-sell any cancelled 5 box sets on to anyone who originally missed out on the proof quintuples so I think the mintage for those will remain at 1,200. The Matt/BU quintuples on the other hand have a lower mintage regardless than the proofs and only around 75% of them have been sold to date. 

Don’t get me wrong though, I aspire to buy a graded proof quintuple as and when I can afford one but should I ever want to sell the Matt/BU there should be more prospective buyers who can afford to buy that coin on the secondary market rather than the proof. That makes the Matt version a better investment in my humble opinion.

Should I eventually acquire the proof version then that would remain in my collection until death us do part, so I wouldn’t worry about its resale value. Naturally I’d be turning in my grave at the thought of how much my family would sell off my collection for!

Edited by GoodAsGold

Does anyone else feel a sense of desperation from many owners of the proof sets, to convince themselves/others that these will "do well" in the next few years? That's the overwhelming feeling I get.

Comparisons are drawn to the Platinum Jubilee 2022 proof sets, when I personally don't see how they're comparable:

1. Queen Elizabeth II was a very, very popular monarch, worldwide

2. No-one currently alive will see another platinum jubilee, it may take multiple generations or even hundreds of years

3. King Charles III's (lack) of popularity, both domestically and worldwide. There just isn't much interest or care towards Charles

4. The era that Charles III's reign/coins signify. Major UK cities being minority white, UK being overtaken by India in GDP, less than half of UK registering as Christian during 2021 census, general financial collapse of UK.

IMO proof coins featuring the Queen will continue to do very well. I think the RM will continue to churn out as much c**p as possible from this point, with as many special editions of sovereigns for whatever reason they can, just to maintain their margins and try to cash in on inexperienced collectors.

I've always said that proof coins are a very risky investment. They're okay if you know what you're getting yourself into, though many clearly don't, or they wouldn't be worrying or trying to convince themselves/others not to cancel.

If you LOVE the design, LOVE Charles III, then these are a good investment, as you're not going to be selling. If you're worried about resale value in a few years, why exactly are you taking this risk? Who do you expect to be willing to pay even more for your coins than the ludicrous premium RM already charged for these huge mintage coins?

8 hours ago, Timberwolf said:

Does anyone else feel a sense of desperation from many owners of the proof sets, to convince themselves/others that these will "do well" in the next few years? That's the overwhelming feeling I get.

Comparisons are drawn to the Platinum Jubilee 2022 proof sets, when I personally don't see how they're comparable:

1. Queen Elizabeth II was a very, very popular monarch, worldwide

2. No-one currently alive will see another platinum jubilee, it may take multiple generations or even hundreds of years

3. King Charles III's (lack) of popularity, both domestically and worldwide. There just isn't much interest or care towards Charles

4. The era that Charles III's reign/coins signify. Major UK cities being minority white, UK being overtaken by India in GDP, less than half of UK registering as Christian during 2021 census, general financial collapse of UK.

IMO proof coins featuring the Queen will continue to do very well. I think the RM will continue to churn out as much c**p as possible from this point, with as many special editions of sovereigns for whatever reason they can, just to maintain their margins and try to cash in on inexperienced collectors.

I've always said that proof coins are a very risky investment. They're okay if you know what you're getting yourself into, though many clearly don't, or they wouldn't be worrying or trying to convince themselves/others not to cancel.

If you LOVE the design, LOVE Charles III, then these are a good investment, as you're not going to be selling. If you're worried about resale value in a few years, why exactly are you taking this risk? Who do you expect to be willing to pay even more for your coins than the ludicrous premium RM already charged for these huge mintage coins?

I daresay it really does not matter if CIII is popular or not, he is the Monarch and Sovereign. There have been scores of unpopular Kings (and Queens) in the past, during times of war, plague and pestilence, and it does not affect collectability - historical infamy and/or brief reign may even be an advantage in the long run. That said I'm not disagreeing with you, it is nowhere near guaranteed this emission will be a good *investment*. You are spot on with the mintage and pricing, and with the additional risk of inevitable quality issues are all very valid reasons to steer clear as there is a perfectly good chance of making a substantial loss. It's an irrational sport, this coin collecting hobby of ours 🤷‍♂️

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Popularity of a monarch has almost nothing to do with the popularity of coins bearing their effigies, especially 1) when the coin is an iconic, classic coin like the Sovereign which has an established collector base, and 2) when it is the first such coin of that monarch’s reign.

Edward VIII wasn’t popular (relatively speaking) but I’m sure no Sovereign collector would turn up their nose at an Edward VIII Proof Sovereign.

3 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Edward VIII wasn’t popular (relatively speaking) but I’m sure no Sovereign collector would turn up their nose at an Edward VIII Proof Sovereign.

I'd instantly sell it, this house is a Nazi sympathiser free space! 

14 minutes ago, Solachesis said:

I'd instantly sell it, this house is a Nazi sympathiser free space! 

They ain't cheap, id instantly sell it too. How much more can a man ask for 8g of 22ct gold 😁

mintages were lower though tbf

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

An Edward VIII 5 Pound coin was sold last year March from the Paramount collection, fetched $2,280,000 all in 😉

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-edward-viii-gold-proof-pattern-5-pounds-1937-pr67-ultra-cameo-ngc-/a/3096-30339.s?type=CoinArchives3096

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

23 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Imagine a coin being worth that much AND the graders still cannot put the coin in the slab properly. Bonkers.

56E32B16-7908-4B5B-9A3B-9D76A4C8538B.jpeg

Just leave it on top of the washing machine for 3 months and it should correct itself 👍🏻 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA