• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Sovereign design revealed?

7 minutes ago, GoldStatue said:

Is anyone else confused as to why the Mint are calling these a "Memorial Sovereign"? There is nothing about QEII on them.

Does seem a strange choice, but could refer to a memorable event rather than a celebration of a deceased person?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

Does seem a strange choice, but could refer to a memorable event rather than a celebration of a deceased person?

That's what I initially thought, it's a memorial coin for Charlie boy taking the crown, but in the write up on the website they actually say it is poignant tribute for QEII and wouldn't that be a commemorative.

Possibly the Royal Mint marketing team have tried to play the QEII sympathy card to sell this one and not realised what is on the product 😀

My money is on "The Coronation Sovereign 2023" to be released in May next year with a special reverse.

20 hours ago, Foster88 said:

As a mostly Sovereign collector and researcher.

I think the current 2022 sovereign has a very appealing reverse design that will be popular for many years to come. Be that in proof, bullion or the SOTD sovereign.
Why? Well it was designed as a special reverse to commemorate the late Queens 70 years on the throne and none of us knew on the release of the proof sovereign in November 2021 that it would also be the last sovereign of Queen Elizabeth II.

That aside. This new sovereign release has no doubt caught many off guard. It wasn’t expected. In a ‘normal’ year the next release would be the 2023 sovereign but a change of monarch has changed all of that.

This release will no doubt be popular but it will also divide opinion both here on the forum and in the wider numismatist world.

Is it a sovereign for the sake of a sovereign? Possibly so. But it’s also the first sovereign of King Charles III.

Might the only saving grace be for those who truly want to own this release be that the flippers may be put off by the January 2023 delivery date. I think it would help the serious collectors and possibly deter the quick flippers. Maybe not, who knows.

Regardless of wether you love or hate this design it just goes to show the strength and popularity of the sovereign, no matter the monarch on the obverse and long may that continue.

Didn't realise the delivery date is January..... I'm sure money will be taken upfront like the memorial collection....How many coins will Royal mint push the delivery dates to January??

18 minutes ago, Allgoldcoins said:

I think if the JC design is correct from a few pages back, the mint caught us all out. I spent ages replacing the Queens crown with the Kings Crown which most of us had presumed would be present on the Royal Coat of Arms. So in theory by still showing the QEII cpat of arms it becomes a Memorial Sovereign - I think?

That would be a very subtle tribute 😀

I think the gazette proclamation said it would be Charles coat of arms, so we all just naturally thought that.

I guess all will be revealed in a few days!

52 minutes ago, AR03 said:

I'm sure money will be taken upfront like the memorial collection

The RM don't usually take money upfront, usually you're charged upon despatch. The memorial proofs were the first time I can remember them taking a 'down payment'. Hope it's not the start of a new trend. Find out on Tuesday I guess.

9 hours ago, SheepStacker said:

The RM don't usually take money upfront, usually you're charged upon despatch. The memorial proofs were the first time I can remember them taking a 'down payment'. Hope it's not the start of a new trend. Find out on Tuesday I guess.

My experience has always been that they place a hold on the funds on your account and that the money is taken at point of despatch. If they don’t despatch with 5-7 days the hold falls away and the money is then taken at the later despatch date. This process/policy changed with the KCIII coins where they took money upfront regardless. I guess they did not want the hassle of (inevitably) people ordering and then cancelling three months later, pre delivery!!

Given the more serious interest in the second 2022 sovereign (I mean ‘serious’ in the sense that people are less likely to cancel), I think they will revert to the usual practice. Just my view and of course could be wrong (would not be unusual!!!).

14 hours ago, GoldStatue said:

That's what I initially thought, it's a memorial coin for Charlie boy taking the crown, but in the write up on the website they actually say it is poignant tribute for QEII and wouldn't that be a commemorative.

Possibly the Royal Mint marketing team have tried to play the QEII sympathy card to sell this one and not realised what is on the product 😀

My money is on "The Coronation Sovereign 2023" to be released in May next year with a special reverse.

Where did you read that there will be another special reverse next year?

Just now, AurumArgenti said:

Its king Charles birthday today he's 74. You'd have thought they might have released the sovereigns today?

I was thinking that myself.  Though to be fair the RM they are trying to be more fair these days and i suspect they are getting the staff ready.

Just now, AR03 said:

Their mintage numbers are lower this time as well, is it a sign that it isn't popular?

As the Gold price has gone up people have just gone for the Sovereign.  In any case the Piedfort is nice when you hold them but who in the right mind would hold a proof coin.

I just want the Sovereign and the 1/2 Sovereign

3 minutes ago, SheepStacker said:

I prefer a double Sovereign, rather than a thicc Sov. 

Especially since if you get a piedfort graded, the thickness is kind of lost, so it just looks like a sovereign.

This will definitely be a design that a larger circumference will display splendidly 

Edited by Solachesis
Auto correct is bad

39 minutes ago, Solachesis said:

Especially since if you get a piedfort graded, the thickness is kind of lost, so it just looks like a sovereign.

This will definitely be a design that a larger circumference will display splendidly 

Agree if that is the design we have seen it will look lost on anything smaller than a double sovereign…..god help the 1/4 sovereign. 

17 hours ago, Allgoldcoins said:

I think if the JC design is correct from a few pages back, the mint caught us all out. I spent ages replacing the Queens crown with the Kings Crown which most of us had presumed would be present on the Royal Coat of Arms. So in theory by still showing the QEII cpat of arms it becomes a Memorial Sovereign - I think?

That makes perfect sense to me.

This then potentially becomes an extra release, and the 2023 (technically the first fully for Charles) can launch earlyish next year (?).

I wouldn't expect them as late as May, because the RM then also go to town on a Coronation SotD.

4 minutes ago, Alz111 said:

Just reserved a full, half, quarter and 3 coin set for tomorrow. Also there will be a 2 coin set which isn’t advertised on the royal mint website keep your eyes open tomorrow morning 

Also this 2 coin set has a very low mintage apparently 

31 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Agree if that is the design we have seen it will look lost on anything smaller than a double sovereign…..god help the 1/4 sovereign. 

Conversely, it could look amazing. Presumably it's exactly the same design, but being cut by lasers rather than a bloke with a hammer and pointy thing, so I would expect all the same detail to be present.

2 minutes ago, Alz111 said:

Also this 2 coin set has a very low mintage apparently 

But what's in it! :D 

3 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Conversely, it could look amazing. Presumably it's exactly the same design, but being cut by lasers rather than a bloke with a hammer and pointy thing, so I would expect all the same detail to be present.

But what's in it! :D 

My manager didn’t tell me but it’s a two coin memorial sovereign set