• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

Just now, Fishface220 said:

£1537..... Well this is gonna mess up my buying targets for this year that’s for sure!!

Mine too if this keeps up 😞

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

14 minutes ago, SidS said:

Isn't it a funny thing on this forum?

When the price goes down everyone is down and despondent, trying to justify losses by cost averaging and complaining about the system being rigged and the price being knocked down.

When the price goes up, people get upset that they've not got the waggon backed up quick enough.

I think the prices going up is long, long overdue.

It could just as easily be a fluctuation.  Over the past quarter gold prices went down to £1415, back up to about this level a few months ago and then came back down to around £1,450.  Now it's going back up.  In practice, these price fluctuations represent movements on the order of 5% or so of the actual spot price.  Buying sovs feels a bit painful at the moment, but the difference is something of the order of £20.  If you were trying to flip sovs at a profit it might be a big deal, but for stacking not so much.  

OTOH, maybe it's off to the moon.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

4 hours ago, dicker said:

I could be wrong but the price of gold on tickers over the weekend was odd.  Kept going up - I wonder if a lot of buy order had been placed over the weekend in electronic trading platforms - even though the market was closed?

Yeah that was strange but a very nice omen 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

I believe China, Russia and India are stacking huge amounts of physical gold. That in itself if they continue stacking, will continue to drive the price up if overall supplies start to get hit.  One also has to ask what their motive is?

Edited by flyingveepixie

1 hour ago, flyingveepixie said:

I believe China, Russia and India are stacking huge amounts of physical gold. That in itself if they continue stacking, will continue to drive the price up if overall supplies start to get hit.  One also has to ask what their motive is?

To back the next reserve currency with pms would be my first guess second is the more they take off the market the greater the pressure on wallstreet pushing them closer to collapse think redit but on a massive scale 

6 hours ago, SidS said:

Isn't it a funny thing on this forum?

When the price goes down everyone is down and despondent, trying to justify losses by cost averaging and complaining about the system being rigged and the price being knocked down.

When the price goes up, people get upset that they've not got the waggon backed up quick enough.

I think the prices going up is long, long overdue.

Agreed. Or the daily news updates… “It’s up…it’s down…it’s up….it’s down…it’s up £1.59…” .ad infinitum 😂

8 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Wonderful news. Up and Up is only a good thing. And for those who are annoyed because it means their targets are going to be hit, think about the long term and not short term. I saw a 1oz coin for sale on the sales threads the other day with the original Bairds invoice - it was under 900.00 GBP for the 1oz coin and it was bought in 2015. I know that gold is a fickle thing, but I really think that NO ONE can tell you where it is going, so you just have to buy when you have the money and maintain faith that it will rise (and hold tight [and continue to buy!] during the falls).

Cheers!!!

That was mine and is now priced close to spot; it appears no one wants it. 
I was in two minds whether to include original invoices on sales threads, I feel it adds to provenance for sale but not sure if this puts some folk off thinking excess profit? Personally I have had that money tied up for 8 years and could have done better with an index tracker. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I was in two minds whether to include original invoices on sales threads, I feel it adds to provenance for sale but not sure if this puts some folk off thinking excess profit? Personally I have had that money tied up for 8 years and could have done better with an index tracker. 

Thanks for this! Really interesting to read. The reference to this was just to highlight that what we pay today is always going to be different in eight years’ time - it could be worse too!

Thanks also for the reference to the index tracker which is a very good point.

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

On the contrary, I personally think its excellent, one because I can see you have made a decent return and in 8 years time that should/could be me. I sincerely doubt that would put many if any off tbh.

obviously i wouldn't write this on your sales thread, but a few other reasons that spring to mind first. ( nothing bad in any sense ) just personally that if it were my coin... I'd take it out of the absolutely pointless upside down and heavily marked card, place in a nice capsule and state condition accurately and honestly. Then it will likely sell quickly. Currently it appears a lucky dip unfortunately. 

19 minutes ago, SheepStacker said:

Reckon we're on a rocketship to the moon? Or a rollercoaster to disappointment?

roller.png

Looks like the New york skyline 

Edited by James32

8 hours ago, MrStacker said:

I fear that it won't slow down. BRICS are going to keep buying and putting more pressure on the dollar currency. I'm sure there'll be temporary "breaks" in the rise in price but not in the usual way and at less intervals this year. That's my initial hunch.

Never mind BRICS, @James32 puts plenty of pressure on the system. 😁

20 hours ago, flyingveepixie said:

the motive is russia sells oil and excepts payment in gold and gives them the oil at a discounted price. eg: you buy 1 barrel of oil in gold and you receive 1.5 barrels of oil. then whoever has the oil bought at a discounted price sells the excess oil  .5 barrels. 

Edited by gji25

LFTV.  live from the vault.   Spot price is immaterial. its just an illusion.

One moment while I summon the oracle.

To The Moon Walk GIF

@Paul, £1,550/oz by Friday?

The inferior man argues about his rights, while the superior man imposes duties upon himself.

He who has a why can bear almost any how.

Every act of beauty is a revolt against the modern world.