• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Petition Crown (Gazette Proclamation)

I received my 2 oz set today directly from the RM.  Everything was in good order.  Some folks have had major issues with the RM but I guess I’ve been lucky.  I have about 30 years experience looking at coins, I use good light and a loupe when reviewing and the RM passes the test.

Sorry for those of you with multiple issues - maybe the RM takes more care with foreign shipments due to the hassle of returns

1 hour ago, Sc391 said:

I received my 2 oz set today directly from the RM.  Everything was in good order.  Some folks have had major issues with the RM but I guess I’ve been lucky.  I have about 30 years experience looking at coins, I use good light and a loupe when reviewing and the RM passes the test.

Sorry for those of you with multiple issues - maybe the RM takes more care with foreign shipments due to the hassle of returns

Nope they do not unfortunately. It is quite random imho.

6 hours ago, Aran said:

23 minutes ago, marston59 said:

My Gold set has gone back as well, same problem as Aran.

These pics ought to be emailed directly to CEO Anne Jessop.

It is completely unacceptable that a £11,600 product should have this level of quality; despite having been “quality checked”.

Updated numbers from the RM website:

Looks like the 5oz and 10oz silvers have been the most popular...

• 2oz Silver - 1380/3250 (58% allocated/sold)
  • 5oz Silver - 65/500 (87% allocated/sold)
  • 10oz Silver - 35/150 (77% allocated/sold)

Large number of 2oz Gold back available and the 5oz numbers have also gone up...

• 2oz Gold - 131/300 (56% allocated/sold)
  • 5oz Gold - 101/125 (19% allocated/sold)

This is a done deal for the Royal Mint.  They don't seem to care about the sales numbers of this coin as they are off to creating dozens of new coins for sale.  QC is a thing of the past.  Their goal is not customer satisfaction but rather to keep pumping out more and more coins.  This is why I will no longer buy coins directly from the RM.  I want a dealer to examine the coins before sending them to me.  And, whenever I order a coin from a dealer, I ask them to inspect the coin when it comes from the RM before shipping it to me.

I got this set last weekend, looked it over and found that there where two .5mm deep scratches across the rim with others around the circumference of the edge, as can been seen in the picture below, so I sent it back.

Before you read what the decision was from the mint below, what do you think, should have happened? There are a few other marks, however these are the main ones, and are gouges and eye visible.

P3280717(2).thumb.JPG.b1d91a66dd1a40fb5b608aba10e9897e.JPG   

So on Friday, I got the parcel back from the Mint, which was a really good turn around to be fair.

Opened the box to find my original set returned to me, with a letter to say that,

"Your coins have been quality inspected and meet our quality standards, therefore they are being returned to you".

And "If you choose to return this order for a second time then we will process a refund".

So it looks like I have offended the whole of the Royal Mint somehow.              

17 hours ago, Darr3nG said:

Updated numbers from the RM website:

Looks like the 5oz and 10oz silvers have been the most popular...

• 2oz Silver - 1380/3250 (58% allocated/sold)
  • 5oz Silver - 65/500 (87% allocated/sold)
  • 10oz Silver - 35/150 (77% allocated/sold)

Large number of 2oz Gold back available and the 5oz numbers have also gone up...

• 2oz Gold - 131/300 (56% allocated/sold)
  • 5oz Gold - 101/125 (19% allocated/sold)

I thought all the 2oz gold had Sold out on the day. How have 131 became suddenly available ?? 

With these sales numbers it may have a chance to do ok in the long term so limited. Also part of these will be buying to grade and flip at a 70 

Just 24 sales of the 5oz gold is tiny 

12 hours ago, Wampum said:

I got this set last weekend, looked it over and found that there where two .5mm deep scratches across the rim with others around the circumference of the edge, as can been seen in the picture below, so I sent it back.

Before you read what the decision was from the mint below, what do you think, should have happened? There are a few other marks, however these are the main ones, and are gouges and eye visible.

P3280717(2).thumb.JPG.b1d91a66dd1a40fb5b608aba10e9897e.JPG   

So on Friday, I got the parcel back from the Mint, which was a really good turn around to be fair.

Opened the box to find my original set returned to me, with a letter to say that,

"Your coins have been quality inspected and meet our quality standards, therefore they are being returned to you".

And "If you choose to return this order for a second time then we will process a refund".

So it looks like I have offended the whole of the Royal Mint somehow.              

If this is 2oz silver, I will sell you my set at cost, I'm not sure I'm sufficiently enamored with it to want to keep it. It seems perfect.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I think if anyone was looking for proof that the RM really doesn't care at all about QC it can easily be found here with this release. How some of these coins could ever have gotten to the point of being put into a capsule and sent to a customer is beyond me. The silver ones are bad enough but the gold at what they cost...  yikes.

I can understand some errors being missed like the odd bit of missing frosting but minting errors this bad?!? Its hard to come to any conclusion other than either no one is actually checking these coins or they are being checked and the RM is knowingly sending faulty products out to its customers. Must be nice for them to feel they have a business so secure that they can continually treat their customers this way.

Did y’all also notice that the edge inscription starts at different places relative to the obverse/reverse of the coins?

On my Charles II portrait coin, it begins at the 6 o’clock position, while on the Arms coin, it begins around the 9 o’clock position.

Why was it so hard to keep this consistent?

I admit in hand they are rather beautiful coins - the strike is pretty deep, and the frosting of the Charles II portrait is quite unique. I don’t think I’ve seen such frosting before. 🤔 

It’s a pity the quality is sucking.

9 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

If this is 2oz silver, I will sell you my set at cost, I'm not sure I'm sufficiently enamored with it to want to keep it. It seems perfect.

Thank you for the offer, probably would have taken you up on it, but have already re-ordered from the Mint, so now out the money for that, plus waiting on the refund from the original.

Can see them sending me the same set back.     

Cromwell Crown also had raised edge inscription. Royal mint museum has the die. Since they already worked out presentation capsules, this looks like a likely candidate for the next Great Engravers issue. IF my yet to arrive Petition Crown set is up to par with the quality, I'd be interested in Cromwell set too.

As many others, I would have loved  the W.Wyon's depiction of  St George and the Dragon, with QEII...it would have been an instant buy (unfortunately for my wallet)...Now, I  really hope that the Royal Mint will change their "2 coins set" model about the Great Engravers series. If the W. Wyon series was top notch, we have seen that even with the iconic Gothic Crown, this choice is not adequat, we only have to observe the sales of the Petition Crown... This choice is even more discutable in these times with all our questions about a living that we try to preserve in these economic and geopolitics turnmoils and moreover in a context of rising gold prices toward the 3000/4000US $ mark (my bet) in the coming years. I got the 2oz silver set and also ordered the 5oz set Petition Crown. Even if this is a nice set, I don't really see where this series will go, and I decided to cancel the 5oz set and even return my 2oz silver set for a refund. I am already an "happy camper" with the W.Wyon mini series (Una, 3G, GC QA&Portrait), both in silver and gold 2oz and even if I will buy the coming Coronation SOTD, my strategy is to take profit on semi numismatic coins and from now on, buying  bullion for easy liquidity (my current purchases aims are Maple Leaf & Britannia,  in gold and silver among other coins...)

Edited by Frenchie

1 hour ago, Frenchie said:

As many others, I would have loved  the W.Wyon's depiction of  St George and the Dragon, with QEII...it would have been an instant buy (unfortunately for my wallet)...Now, I  really hope that the Royal Mint will change their "2 coins set" model about the Great Engravers series. If the W. Wyon series was top notch, we have seen that even with the iconic Gothic Crown, this choice is not adequat, we only have to observe the sales of the Petition Crown... This choice is even more discutable in these times with all our questions about a living that we try to preserve in these economic and geopolitics turnmoils and moreover in a context of rising gold prices toward the 3000/4000US $ mark (my bet) in the coming years. I got the 2oz silver set and also ordered the 5oz set Petition Crown. Even if this is a nice set, I don't really see where this series will go, and I decided to cancel the 5oz set and even return my 2oz silver set for a refund. I am already an "happy camper" with the W.Wyon mini series (Una, 3G, GC QA&Portrait), both in silver and gold 2oz and even if I will buy the coming Coronation SOTD, my strategy is to take profit on semi numismatic coins and from now on, buying  bullion for easy liquidity (my current purchases aims are Maple Leaf & Britannia,  in gold and silver among other coins...)

I didn't go for it either Lionel but may live to regret it in years to come :( not ruling out picking a pre graded 70 if it comes on offer at a fair price £ down the line.

Would only be looking to add the crest side not the portrait, so it would need to be a split up set

As you say more than happy with my purchases so far from this series