• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Petition Crown (Gazette Proclamation)

In case anyone didn't notice the Heritage platinum auction in New York earlier in the month 

An original Petition Crown sold for $960,000 !

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-charles-ii-silver-pattern-petition-crown-1663-ms62-ngc-/a/3113-31155.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Great Britain, Great Britain: Charles II silver Pattern "Petition" Crown 1663 MS62 NGC, ... Great Britain, Great Britain: Charles II silver Pattern "Petition" Crown 1663 MS62 NGC, ... 

On the same "Great Engravers" theme there was a PF67 original Gothic Crown go for $168,000

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-victoria-proof-gothic-crown-1847-pr67-cameo-pcgs-/a/3113-31173.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Great Britain, Great Britain: Victoria Proof "Gothic" Crown 1847 PR67 Cameo PCGS,... Great Britain, Great Britain: Victoria Proof "Gothic" Crown 1847 PR67 Cameo PCGS,...

and an original "Three Graces" crown for for $210,000

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-iii-silver-proof-pattern-three-graces-crown-1817-pr63-cameo-ngc-/a/3113-31166.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Great Britain, Great Britain: George III silver Proof Pattern "Three Graces" Crown 1817 PR63 Cameo NGC,... Great Britain, Great Britain: George III silver Proof Pattern "Three Graces" Crown 1817 PR63 Cameo NGC,...

To think what some of these could have been bought for 20-30 years back compared to day 

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

Gorgeous coins @Paul  thanks as always for sharing!

I have no idea about grading and would’ve assumed that Gothic Crown would be a DETAILS grade. 😅

I like the Three Graces best. 

Seeing these super high prices during uncertain times we live though, gives some hope the love will stay for this Great Engravers series long term

Once credit is easy again, inflation is under control, mortgages affordable, fuel/heating is normal, folk are positive and generally happy again. 

The initial hype/love will return for the series, that has gone lukewarm a bit currently 

That’s mad pricing, but what a coin! 

do you think the rich are starting to buy coins for a tax break? Or do you think the petition sold for a fair price ? 

they buy paintings that look like a 3 year painted it for millions for tax breaks 

image.thumb.jpeg.b42d44b9c66968c26e53bd82cb7593b1.jpeg

this just sold for 15 milllion dollars! 

Edited by magpie79

2 hours ago, magpie79 said:

That’s mad pricing, but what a coin! 

do you think the rich are starting to buy coins for a tax break? Or do you think the petition sold for a fair price ? 

they buy paintings that look like a 3 year painted it for millions for tax breaks 

image.thumb.jpeg.b42d44b9c66968c26e53bd82cb7593b1.jpeg

this just sold for 15 milllion dollars! 

Coins for tax breaks, maybe, but certainly also enjoyment. Arts and arts are different. A Monet or a Rembrandt will be worth it as long as you could afford them, the poet-mordernist bland paper or balloon sculptures aren't . Even coins are different though. A Polish 100 ducat for £10m is worth every penny, but I see the flowing hair dollars or some Cali private tokens with contempt.

3 hours ago, Paul said:

In case anyone didn't notice the Heritage platinum auction in New York earlier in the month 

An original Petition Crown sold for $960,000 !

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-charles-ii-silver-pattern-petition-crown-1663-ms62-ngc-/a/3113-31155.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Great Britain, Great Britain: Charles II silver Pattern "Petition" Crown 1663 MS62 NGC, ... Great Britain, Great Britain: Charles II silver Pattern "Petition" Crown 1663 MS62 NGC, ... 

On the same "Great Engravers" theme there was a PF67 original Gothic Crown go for $168,000

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-victoria-proof-gothic-crown-1847-pr67-cameo-pcgs-/a/3113-31173.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Great Britain, Great Britain: Victoria Proof "Gothic" Crown 1847 PR67 Cameo PCGS,... Great Britain, Great Britain: Victoria Proof "Gothic" Crown 1847 PR67 Cameo PCGS,...

and an original "Three Graces" crown for for $210,000

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-george-iii-silver-proof-pattern-three-graces-crown-1817-pr63-cameo-ngc-/a/3113-31166.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Great Britain, Great Britain: George III silver Proof Pattern "Three Graces" Crown 1817 PR63 Cameo NGC,... Great Britain, Great Britain: George III silver Proof Pattern "Three Graces" Crown 1817 PR63 Cameo NGC,...

To think what some of these could have been bought for 20-30 years back compared to day 

Remember, the latter two have gold versions that will fetch far more!

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

4 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Wish I could afford that

It's not mine by the way !

I saved the jpeg when I saw it for reference

From what I remember, it went for /$ 700,000+ USD in Tokyo. In auction, six years + back

Guy bid in person on the day, paid on phone once hammer 🔨 hit. 

And popped it in his pocket and hopped on the Japanese subway home 

Doubt anyone would do that on the tube in London. :(

9 hours ago, Paul said:

I would think it would break a million now given what other bits have sold for in the past five years

Dan O'Dowd will pay anything for that

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

1 hour ago, NumismaticNI said:

Is this design identical then to the 2017 sovereign? What would be the main reason to buy this when I can just buy a sovereign with same design? Other than the weight.

I think St George has a sword rather than a broken lance in his hand.

Edited by Olivard

So just the same old design as in every sovereign except with the garter as seen on the 2017 sovereign? I just wish it had of been Wyons design. Would'nt certainly bought the 2 and the 5oz in that design. I think on this one I'll stick with both the 2oz's. Has anyone heard if there will be a mint marque version in the gold? 

2 hours ago, NumismaticNI said:

So just the same old design as in every sovereign except with the garter as seen on the 2017 sovereign? I just wish it had of been Wyons design. Would'nt certainly bought the 2 and the 5oz in that design. I think on this one I'll stick with both the 2oz's. Has anyone heard if there will be a mint marque version in the gold? 

Suspect it will be like this crown rather than the 1817/2017 sovereign.

https://www.allcoinvalues.com/united-kingdom/1819-uk-crown-value2c-george-iii2c-lix.html

Edited by Olivard

10 hours ago, NumismaticNI said:

Has anyone heard if there will be a mint marque version in the gold? 

I highly doubt there will be any special Mint Marque version because the edge has an inscription and it would be tough sell to market a plain edge as anything special - it worked for the Gothic Crown because the edge of the  “regular” version was milled. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Paul said:

❤️ Day  😕🤔 is a perfect day for buying large gold for the perfect partner in your life 

but that may be just hearsay and conjecture 🙄

49 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I love myself soooo much. 😍😆☺️

Heheh. Meaning, a fabulous gift for myself on ♥️ Day.

😎

5 hours ago, SovereignBull said:

Brilliant…..Not - Gonna need to get that overdraft sorted! Can the RM make a rule that all knew releases are issued on the last Friday of the month!

I wanna see the actual design. !!! Someone must have a leak!?!? I’m thinking a 5oz silver may be in order. 

Aaaahhh😉

6 hours ago, westminstrel said:

See my post in the other topic. It’s looking like the 5oz silver and gold might be scrapped. 

Just adding a correction here too (just for the record) that only the 5oz gold is rumoured to be cancelled; not the 5oz silver.

We’ll see… 🙂