• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Petition Crown (Gazette Proclamation)

10 hours ago, westminstrel said:

More production delays for the 5oz silver proof… new tentative timeframe is mid August.

What was the original delivery estimate? I cancelled the 10oz memorial after 4 mths no show when it said was in stock and would be dispatched within 10 working days. 

Aaaahhh😉

8 hours ago, Paul said:

Have they taken payment already for these from you cards guys? 

Yes, like 4 months back I think.

I’m holding out partly because I don’t want to crop a loss from the currency conversion, and partly because I’m amused at how much longer this is going take. It’s definitely not nice having lent interest free $$$ for almost half a year though.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke to mint marquee manager today (re 5 oz set)and still no production update.  It seems there are challenges they have yet to solve and obviously won’t sign off on until a solution is found.  Possibly the edge lettering is the culprit?

I’m all for waiting until everything is perfected but I wonder if at some point they might admit defeat….

17 hours ago, Sc391 said:

Spoke to mint marquee manager today (re 5 oz set)and still no production update.  It seems there are challenges they have yet to solve and obviously won’t sign off on until a solution is found.  Possibly the edge lettering is the culprit?

I’m all for waiting until everything is perfected but I wonder if at some point they might admit defeat….

We know they’ve done at least the silver 2 Oz and 10 Oz and the gold 2 Oz.

I wonder what is different about the silver 5 Oz. The edge lettering does look a bit differently aligned, but they could just change the alignment to match the others? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

We know they’ve done at least the silver 2 Oz and 10 Oz and the gold 2 Oz.

I wonder what is different about the silver 5 Oz. The edge lettering does look a bit differently aligned, but they could just change the alignment to match the others? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

The 5oz has much less margin for error with the vertical alignment of the edge lettering. It looks most like the real coin in terms of aspect ratio, which Is why I thought it was the best one to go for. I have, however, cancelled my order because I'm fed up with continually receiving crappy proof coins from the mint even after getting up to 3 replacements for some sets, each of which has supposedly gone through an outward inspection before dispatch. I'm calling it a day after all this nonsense.

20 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

The 5oz has much less margin for error with the vertical alignment of the edge lettering. It looks most like the real coin in terms of aspect ratio, which Is why I thought it was the best one to go for. I have, however, cancelled my order because I'm fed up with continually receiving crappy proof coins from the mint even after getting up to 3 replacements for some sets, each of which has supposedly gone through an outward inspection before dispatch. I'm calling it a day after all this nonsense.

Yes that’s correct. I’m wondering though why they made the difference in the alignment between the different coin sizes to begin with.

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Yes that’s correct. I’m wondering though why they made the difference in the alignment between the different coin sizes to begin with.

The 2oz and 10oz coins are essentially piedfort coins, I guess that's why.

• 2 weeks later...

In case someone missed this note from RM this AM:

“I do have an update regarding the 5oz Silver Petition Crown sets and It is with regret I write to inform you that we are unable fulfil your order.

A recurring technical issue with the 5oz coin means we cannot achieve the high standards we strive for. The business has therefore made the difficult decision to remove it from the range.”

I am surprised and disappointed, but have a two oz set and so that will have to do it.  They offered the 10 oz at a discount, but I passed.

22 hours ago, Sc391 said:

In case someone missed this note from RM this AM:

“I do have an update regarding the 5oz Silver Petition Crown sets and It is with regret I write to inform you that we are unable fulfil your order.

A recurring technical issue with the 5oz coin means we cannot achieve the high standards we strive for. The business has therefore made the difficult decision to remove it from the range.”

I am surprised and disappointed, but have a two oz set and so that will have to do it.  They offered the 10 oz at a discount, but I passed.

I’ve had no communication from anyone at the RM, and they’ve had my funds since release. 🫤

4 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I’ve had no communication from anyone at the RM, and they’ve had my funds since release. 🫤

I emailed them just last week, and they simply said they "haven't received them yet", whatever that means.

I've had no official communication from them to say they won't fulfil the order.

If they have cancelled it, and not told anyone, it is terrible customer service!

The 5oz was the only silver one I wanted due to the edge inscription filling the edge. I'll have to get my money back and pass on this now. Such a shame as I thought it was brilliant.

5 hours ago, Kvasir said:

I emailed them just last week, and they simply said they "haven't received them yet", whatever that means.

I've had no official communication from them to say they won't fulfil the order.

If they have cancelled it, and not told anyone, it is terrible customer service!

The 5oz was the only silver one I wanted due to the edge inscription filling the edge. I'll have to get my money back and pass on this now. Such a shame as I thought it was brilliant.

It’s weird how they themselves sometimes seem to be confused regarding the status of schedules and releases.

Definitely it’s not the best experience for customers caught up in the confusion.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Natale said:
I would like to buy a Petition Crown 2oz gold set graded NGC70 -69 for £9500. Would you buy it at that price?

Okay, so this is what I would’ve done if this were offered to me AND if I had the funds… I’d buy it! 😀

Although I’m not a fan of graded coins, and especially in this case since the whole point is the edge lettering which is hidden by the slab, I think it’s a pretty good price.

I’d personally not be turned off by the 69 grade because I’d probably attempt to break them out of their holders and put them back in their original Royal Mint holders. (Blasphemy?! LOL)

The original RM holders are made in a way that magnifies the edge lettering (I have the silver set), and the original presentation box too is gorgeous.

On 10/10/2023 at 12:00, westminstrel said:

Okay, so this is what I would’ve done if this were offered to me AND if I had the funds… I’d buy it! 😀

Although I’m not a fan of graded coins, and especially in this case since the whole point is the edge lettering which is hidden by the slab, I think it’s a pretty good price.

I’d personally not be turned off by the 69 grade because I’d probably attempt to break them out of their holders and put them back in their original Royal Mint holders. (Blasphemy?! LOL)

The original RM holders are made in a way that magnifies the edge lettering (I have the silver set), and the original presentation box too is gorgeous.

You’ve hit my nerve of low graded British proofs because of toning or historical coins with details grades because there is small scratch somewhere or somebody cleaned it gently 200 years ago. I like slabs for storage, protection, to a degree authentication and they can be easier to sell but people need to buy the coin and not the grade. The fact there is people cracking them out to re-submit to get a different grade shows this is no precise science.

1 hour ago, Simmoleon said:

You’ve hit my nerve of low graded British proofs because of toning or historical coins with details grades because there is small scratch somewhere or somebody cleaned it gently 200 years ago. I like slabs for storage, protection, to a degree authentication and they can be easier to sell but people need to buy the coin and not the grade. The fact there is people cracking them out to re-submit to get a different grade shows this is no precise science.

I prefer buying graded but crack them out when they arrive so I could appreciate them in hand. I use compass cutter to cut out oxygen remover and fit them into airtites. I only ever keep the slabs if I'm thinking of flipping them in the future. I've not sold a single coin in my collection, however.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

10 hours ago, Simmoleon said:

You’ve hit my nerve of low graded British proofs because of toning or historical coins with details grades because there is small scratch somewhere or somebody cleaned it gently 200 years ago.

My pet peeve as well. I’ve said before that an “authentication” service is all that’s needed. Grading is subjective and, imo, a fabricated side business piggybacked onto numismatics.

• 3 weeks later...

I see the Petition Crown still hasn't been released by the RM. But I suppose when they do eventually release, it will be cause for double celebration. Shiny gold coins and Israeli-Palestinian peace on the same day!  

16 hours ago, Sal22 said:

I see the Petition Crown still hasn't been released by the RM. But I suppose when they do eventually release, it will be cause for double celebration. Shiny gold coins and Israeli-Palestinian peace on the same day!  

Hi, it seems to me that you purchased the 2 oz gold set. Haven't received it yet?

21 hours ago, Sal22 said:

I’m not sure what you’re talking about; but if it’s specifically about the 5oz silver set, that denomination has been canceled.