• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Petition Crown (Gazette Proclamation)

9 minutes ago, NumismaticNI said:

What's the next coin in the series? Someone has to be in the know somewhere. They'll have to revive the series after the last few, couldn't come quick enough 

I've not had a call, email, contact or clue. Not a dickybird 🤐 about it

My royal mint tick file is paid off so if it's something good. I can fling it on, 0% apr and pay the balance down.

The petition crown reception in the secondary market certainly hasn't been amazing :(

Keep and HODL the gold or pf70s  for a decade, you'll be good/ahead. I think/hope 

• 2 weeks later...

3 hours ago, Paul said:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/great-britain-charles-ii-silver-pattern-petition-crown-1663-ms62-ngc-/a/3113-31155.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Great Britain, Great Britain: Charles II silver Pattern "Petition" Crown 1663 MS62 NGC, ... Great Britain, Great Britain: Charles II silver Pattern "Petition" Crown 1663 MS62 NGC, ...

Original "Petition Crown" up for auction in Heritages premier sale in early Jan 

I wonder what bidding it will finish at ?

This auction is full of treasures

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

9 minutes ago, Paul said:

There's some lovely great Britain bits in this sale. Can't afford any, but nice to look and dream ! 

Some of the most impressive indeed. Not the 5 guineas, nothing special or rare just expensive whenever any turns up. The Edward VII patter crown is a stunner. 

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/edward-vii-gold-specimen-pattern-crown-1902-sp62-pcgs-/a/3113-31187.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

There are some pattern crowns in gold that are worth a fortune, or deserve to be. Some are very much unheard of, and I think this is one of those. Another would be the gold gothic crown. There's one at the British Museum, and I'm not aware of any being sold at an auction before.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_1935-0401-8468

The petition crown exists in silver only, but the competitor Roettier crown also has a gold version

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/13632/lot/1596/

The 3G has a gold version. The William IIII one we've been talking about earlier, too.

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

46 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Some of the most impressive indeed. Not the 5 guineas, nothing special or rare just expensive whenever any turns up. The Edward VII patter crown is a stunner. 

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/edward-vii-gold-specimen-pattern-crown-1902-sp62-pcgs-/a/3113-31187.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

There are some pattern crowns in gold that are worth a fortune, or deserve to be. Some are very much unheard of, and I think this is one of those. Another would be the gold gothic crown. There's one at the British Museum, and I'm not aware of any being sold at an auction before.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_1935-0401-8468

The petition crown exists in silver only, but the competitor Roettier crown also has a gold version

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/13632/lot/1596/

The 3G has a gold version. The William IIII one we've been talking about earlier, too.

The victoria pattern gold crown is worth a watch. Lovely piece that 

In the January heritage platinum sale 

• 3 weeks later...

A little curve ball, but the GE release will be in 24crt/ .999 fine rather than 22crt so at least the gold will look gold, instead of rose/copper. So will show some variance in the 2017 in size and look

I'm still unsure for this myself 

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

A little curve ball, but the GE release will be in 24crt/ .999 fine rather than 22crt so at least the gold will look gold, instead of rose/copper. So will show some variance in the 2017 in size and look

Was anyone expecting it to not be 999 gold?

3 hours ago, Paul said:

3 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Was anyone expecting it to not be 999 gold?

I assumed Paul was comparing it to the 2017 Sovereign. 🙂

Definitely on the fence about this one. 

Is there anything spectacular use can all think of that may be a future great engravers. Since Una - right up there. Three graces also, but is there anything close to the first 2 coins that could be a future release. This upcoming one is good, but not great. Wyons version was much better, any suggestions?

1 hour ago, NumismaticNI said:

Is there anything spectacular use can all think of that may be a future great engravers. Since Una - right up there. Three graces also, but is there anything close to the first 2 coins that could be a future release. This upcoming one is good, but not great. Wyons version was much better, any suggestions?

Roettier medals (Battle of Lowestoft, Peace of Breda, etc)

The Waterloo medal

Etc etc

Some English Commonwealth designs, too. They are beautiful designs but I shan't touch them. I shan't touch any of the traitor coins either, although they seem pretty popular among collectors.

image00080.jpg

image00078.jpg

Typos

3 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I suspect the RM is trying to play it safe and stick to popular, less polarising designs.

But, good question… what besides good old St. George and the Dragon might fit the bill? 🤔 

Everything, as long as they don't include obverse portraits and make two coin sets...