• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Petition Crown (Gazette Proclamation)

25 minutes ago, SilverPlatinum said:
25 minutes ago, SilverPlatinum said:
11 minutes ago, SilverPlatinum said:

Thanks NumismaticNI.

Did you get the silver ones?

Silver attached on next page. Will try get more photos this evening. That's the 2oz shown. Glad the photos have helped. The gold is stunning 

4 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Lovely pics @NumismaticNI. Would you say the 2 Oz gold set is worth the £££? 🙂

I wasn't keen. Although seeing it and the quality of the edge lettering, the fine raised detail, it's certainly high quality, much better than anticipated, for some many words in such small writing it's actually so easily read. Looking at the coin flat face on you can partially see the raised edge. It's fascinating to say the least. Much of my time has been on the edge so far, I'll be going to study in detail here shortly but it's much more attractive in person. I would say yes it's worth the money. 

1 minute ago, NumismaticNI said:

I wasn't keen. Although seeing it and the quality of the edge lettering, the fine raised detail, it's certainly high quality, much better than anticipated, for some many words in such small writing it's actually so easily read. Looking at the coin flat face on you can partially see the raised edge. It's fascinating to say the least. Much of my time has been on the edge so far, I'll be going to study in detail here shortly but it's much more attractive in person. I would say yes it's worth the money. 

I'll reword my last statement, it's certainly worth the money, the effort and detail is fantastic. 2oz gold on release from the mint usually in the region of £5200 to £5500  and for £5800 at the higher end when you see the detail on this coin its worth the extra amount of money. Quick inspection and off to Grading. 

1 hour ago, NumismaticNI said:

Silverplatinum. May I ask best place to source Canadian Coins, miss out on some special issues due to unable to order from the RCM. 

My top 3 Canadian dealers are:

- silvergoldbull.ca

- thecoinshoppe.ca

- cdncoin.com

33 minutes ago, SilverPlatinum said:

I have a question for the knowledgeable, can anyone shed light into the edge band process, how these are fitted into the coins? I remember afew years ago watching how it's done but it's slipped my mind. Curious to the exact procedure, upon inspection on th edge lettering it's like a band wrapped about the coin, correct? Now all looks well but lay the coin flat and look very closely it's edge is higher than the rim on obverse side. Has anyone encountered many coins like this? 

@SilverPlatinum @NumismaticNI

Yes the video does show a “band” being set around the blank before the coin is struck.

I did notice from one of the images that the lettering seems to be  higher(?) and not exactly centralised on the band.

It’ll be interesting to compare the gold 2oz vs the silver 2oz vs the silver 5oz where the lettering seems to touch both edges of the band (from pics of the website).

Re the band being set around the blank

I watched the video and the band that is inserted in the video is actually being inserted into the press to stamp the raised lettering.  It’s not a two piece coin, it’s how they get the raised lettering.  When the coin is pressed (stamped) the downward pressure pushes the plancet into the side mold and forms raised letters

Edited by Sc391

5 minutes ago, Sc391 said:

Re the band being set around the blank

I watched the video and the band that is inserted in the video is actually being inserted into the press to stamp the raised lettering.  It’s not a two piece coin, it’s how they get the raised lettering.  When the coin is pressed (stamped) the downward pressure pushes the plancet into the side mold and forms raised letters

The band is definitely not being “fused” on to the coin.

However, just like you, I too thought the band is the mould containing the edge lettering. But if that is so, wouldn’t the raised lettering on the coin (after the press is done striking the blank) prevent it from being removed because the raised lettering would still be pressed inside the mould? If that makes sense?

I do think the petition crown is a really great coin and I like what they have done, the problem is the obvious softening of the GE series and the PC looking like a glorified monarch coin. 

I would very much like to see the relief edge lettering on other coins.  On a double coronation sovereign perhaps?

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I do think the petition crown is a really great coin and I like what they have done, the problem is the obvious softening of the GE series and the PC looking like a glorified monarch coin. 

I would very much like to see the relief edge lettering on other coins.  On a double coronation sovereign perhaps?

I am warming up to the Petition Crown (or more like accepting the situation for what it is lol!), and yes, the only real difference from the British Monarchs coins is the edge lettering.

I still feel they should’ve done something more iconic. We’ll have to see what next year brings. Hope not another 2-coin set of some coin that has a nice backstory but isn’t iconic in design.

As for the Sovereigns having edge lettering, oh gosh please don’t give them ideas for more variations my good friend! 😅

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

The band is definitely not being “fused” on to the coin.

However, just like you, I too thought the band is the mould containing the edge lettering. But if that is so, wouldn’t the raised lettering on the coin (after the press is done striking the blank) prevent it from being removed because the raised lettering would still be pressed inside the mould? If that makes sense?

The band has a split in it so it can be opened up slightly and removed from the raised lettering.

5 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Aha!! So they take out the coin with the band around it, and then ever so slightly pry the band off the coin?

I haven't seen it, but that must surely be what happens. It's the only physically possible way of doing it and explains why the ring is not continuous.

I had been thinking about how they would make this coin a while back and it reminded me of multi slide injection molding processes, but the process they've ended up going for is beautifully simple, albeit not suitable for mass production.

It will be interesting to see if the join line is visible on any edges? It must be to some extent surely.