• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Petition Crown (Gazette Proclamation)

3 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

Amazing set. Very well packaged. Everything about this product is fantastic, except for quality control. It’s littered with scratches…

45F576EF-AC29-4B14-BF67-23E52369F1C6.jpeg

DE3D3155-0345-4576-9FF5-9EA7D8A87AFC.jpeg

4A118F49-B5BE-4214-B48F-2D3E0892395F.jpeg

270DA704-37D2-4185-B392-3C7C8873A928.jpeg

Crikey, assuming those aren't just marks on the capsule, it looks like they've accidentally released their Trial of the Pyx coins early!

4 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Crikey, assuming those aren't just marks on the capsule, it looks like they've accidentally released their Trial of the Pyx coins early!

I would find them unacceptable even for the capsules, but unfortunately, they are on the coins surfaces 😞 

24 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

How the heck does that get past QC??? 🤯

18 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

I would find them unacceptable even for the capsules, but unfortunately, they are on the coins surfaces 😞 

So sorry this happened to you. I’m so scared about mine. 🫤

14 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

How the heck does that get past QC??? 🤯

So sorry this happened to you. I’m so scared about mine. 🫤

No worries. It appears there's plenty left in stock. I should be able to order a replacement. I do hope you don't encounter any issues though, with the distance involved.

4 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

Amazing set. Very well packaged. Everything about this product is fantastic, except for quality control. It’s littered with scratches…

Sorry to see this happen to you. I myself would be gutted.There is no excuse for total incompetence

45F576EF-AC29-4B14-BF67-23E52369F1C6.jpeg

DE3D3155-0345-4576-9FF5-9EA7D8A87AFC.jpeg

4A118F49-B5BE-4214-B48F-2D3E0892395F.jpeg

270DA704-37D2-4185-B392-3C7C8873A928.jpeg

On 26/03/2023 at 17:11, SilverPlatinum said:

Can you post a photo please? This could be mint error and worth a lot of money.

Perhaps poor choice of words on my part! There were a couple of bits of frosting missing on the nose and eye area of Charles II - very noticeable, in a prominent area.

I can assure you it would not be classed as a mint error!

Unfortunately I did not take any photos, but thanks for your comments.

Hopefully I get a good replacement set. 

Noticed you have ordered a set. They really are  lovely coins, hope yours is a good one!

On 25/03/2023 at 15:49, Wampum said:

Just received my two 2oz sets, the presentation is beautifully put together, however seems to be a issue with one of the quartered arms,

I have the special edition spiral lettering and it cost the same for the privilege, I must admit it is central about half way round so that's a bonus. 

The other is the same coin with the finning that has been discussed, however this is exactly opposite the joint,

so it would seem this issue is with the ring not been properly seated. 

The other quarter shows the same with regards to finning however to a lesser degree , however has a small dent.

Both the Effigies are perfect.

I also noticed that the orientation of the lettering, on each is different, with the start of the lettering at different points around  both Effigy and Quartered. 

P3250623.JPG

P3250620.JPG

P3250619.JPG

Hi mate. You wrote “I have the special edition spiral lettering and it cost the same for the privilege”, if i am reading this right it means there is a special edition to the coin? I am only aware of the coins that were shown on the RM website..

6 hours ago, foinikas said:

Hi mate. You wrote “I have the special edition spiral lettering and it cost the same for the privilege”, if i am reading this right it means there is a special edition to the coin? I am only aware of the coins that were shown on the RM website..

Hi, sorry no special edition, I was taking the micky out of the Royal Mint, my coin arrived with this edge,

P3280711.thumb.JPG.0d93da5d981c6219f4a5308bd7683b25.JPG

Where as, this is the edge from the similar coin from the other set I received;

P3280714.thumb.JPG.bbb748994fa8fda6bca7e79978aa3739.JPG

The orientation is also different as can be seen below, however the edge letter orientation is different on all four coin, so this is not much to go by.

The join is at the bottom on both coins.

P3280708.thumb.JPG.c87c8a4aab98e945242d2a00cf84b428.JPG   

The one thing that is annoying is all the foreign matter inside the coins especially on the reverse of the spiral lettering coinP3280713.thumb.JPG.f68d6f8e5220d9f702df6fbef2044022.JPGP3280712.thumb.JPG.a83b6dde770072ed93c6c597cd01cb2c.JPG  

The reverse fields also shows damage by the French coat of Arms and just below MAG. Sorry for the delay in responding, and the confusion with my earlier post.

Still will keep this set due to the Edge, however would have been better without the extra damage and dust. 

To all of you with damaged coins (and I may be one of them).  I would suggest spending a little more and buying from a dealer.  Ask the dealer to inspect the coin before sending it out to you.  As an alternative, buy a coin that has been slabbed and graded.  You simply cannot trust the Royal Mint to send you a quality product.

4 hours ago, JeffM said:

To all of you with damaged coins (and I may be one of them).  I would suggest spending a little more and buying from a dealer.  Ask the dealer to inspect the coin before sending it out to you.  As an alternative, buy a coin that has been slabbed and graded.  You simply cannot trust the Royal Mint to send you a quality product.

True but if you buy from the mint then at least returns are easy enough and you may get a replacement t as these are not shifting

I am about to return my gold 2oz set due to the worst quality control issues I have ever experienced .Scrapped dentils , a wavy rim and one edge appears to have been filed!!!

I have printed a Tracked 48 label from the RM site

Who is responsible if this set goes missing?Tracked 48 provides  very little insurance, not the 12K required.

31 minutes ago, goldhunter said:

I am about to return my gold 2oz set due to the worst quality control issues I have ever experienced .Scrapped dentils , a wavy rim and one edge appears to have been filed!!!

I have printed a Tracked 48 label from the RM site

Who is responsible if this set goes missing?Tracked 48 provides  very little insurance, not the 12K required.

It would help the community to share pics if possible. 

Well, with 1371 still in stock at The Royal Mint I have decided to return mine for a refund. 

Think the writings on the wall (instead the side of the coin) for this one. 

Have had an opportunity to see them, they are lovely coins for sure, but head vs heart has to play sometimes for me. 

Can I live without them, yes. Can I live with myself if they go to £8000 per 2 oz like Una did....Ask me again later 🙂 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

On 25/03/2023 at 22:27, westminstrel said:

I doubt they would ever replicate any Cromwell coins. 😛

Still sore after all these years? Actually after looking at Cromwell crown it doesn't look that bad. Portrait is very realistic. May be a nice continuation for Great Engravers.

image.thumb.png.09341d83be52b8e982c2db3c91a4cebb.png

3 hours ago, jcbxly said:

Still sore after all these years? Actually after looking at Cromwell crown it doesn't look that bad. Portrait is very realistic. May be a nice continuation for Great Engravers.

image.thumb.png.09341d83be52b8e982c2db3c91a4cebb.png

I just think it might be seen as controversial(?) given the whole abolish the Monarchy / republican movement happening in many places.

I remember a year or so back one of the Royal Mint designers mentioning how they always had to be sensitive that any designs they come up with did not “embarrass the Queen”.

Personally I wouldn’t mind the Cromwell Crown. That Coat of Arms is   unique and rather cool. Although half my mind is going, not another 2-coin set! 🫠😅

I think another way the RM may try with issuing and selling 2-coin releases is to issue first 1 coin, but with "automatic" buying the 2nd one for very customer, i.e. as there was an option for The Gothic Crown, but many didn't realize/saw this option. Thus they will avoid necessity for huge one-off payment for 2-coin set as well as all the hassle there was with The Gothic Crown release, when some bought the 1st coin, but where not able to buy the 2nd, and vice versa.

I got my 2 oz. set sent by the dealer I ordered from.  Coins appear to be in perfect condition.  The dealer inspected the coins prior to sending them to me.  This is the way to go.  I will never order from the Royal Mint again unless I don't care about the condition of the coins.  Their concern is not QC but rather in pumping out coin after coin.  The little QC that they used to have is now completely gone.  Caveat emptor!