• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Petition Crown (Gazette Proclamation)

26 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I haven't seen it, but that must surely be what happens. It's the only physically possible way of doing it and explains why the ring is not continuous.

I had been thinking about how they would make this coin a while back and it reminded me of multi slide injection molding processes, but the process they've ended up going for is beautifully simple, albeit not suitable for mass production.

It will be interesting to see if the join line is visible on any edges? It must be to some extent surely.

Yes it is indeed much more manual than I had imagined.

Instead of a band being placed manually, I was actually imagining something like four metal arcs with the lettering mechanically encapsulating the blank from the sides, and then pulling back out once the coin has been struck and the lettering impressed on the edge.

5 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Aha!! So they take out the coin with the band around it, and then ever so slightly pry the band off the coin?

Rather excellently the join line is visible and it appears in the same place as on the original. That suggests to me the original was probably made in the same way.

image.thumb.png.a3a8b2908df204ede1db11edc9ee6ba7.png

image.thumb.png.79bdefc97b244d2dec71f55294757159.png

1 hour ago, JeffM said:

Less than 2K of the 2 oz. silver sets has sold.  1,346 sets still available.

What about the 5oz and 10oz silvers?

4 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Rather excellently the join line is visible and it appears in the same place as on the original. That suggests to me the original was probably made in the same way.

image.thumb.png.a3a8b2908df204ede1db11edc9ee6ba7.png

image.thumb.png.79bdefc97b244d2dec71f55294757159.png

Now that is actually a rather cool discovery and piece of deduction by you. 🙂

Problems with the petition crown set I've came across on closer inspection.

* Edge band joint split.

* Edge band off center around the blank so it sits at an angle making it slightly raised over the rim, because it's raised this in turn creates a shadow when viewed at different angles and also creates like a crinkle on excess band thats sitting higher than the rim. 

* Scores through the word lettering.(Behind) the lettering so was done on the band before the lettering has been added 

Nice coin as mentioned yesterday rewind to yesterday's posts to have a look. Those were quick photos before good inspection. 

2 minutes ago, NumismaticNI said:

* Edge band joint split.

* Edge band off center around the blank so it sits at an angle making it slightly raised over the rim, because it's raised this in turn creates a shadow when viewed at different angles and also creates like a crinkle on excess band thats sitting higher than the rim. 

* Scores through the word lettering.(Behind) the lettering so was done on the band before the lettering has been added 

Nice coin as mentioned yesterday rewind to yesterday's posts to have a look. Those were quick photos before good inspection. 

Screenshot_20230324-164227.png

PXL_20230323_155209451~3.jpg

23 minutes ago, NumismaticNI said:

* Edge band joint split.

I assumed the edge band joint (didn't know it was called that?) is there to stop the coin rotating within the capsule, so it would need to press against the coin. Not sure what you mean about it being "off center around blank"?

I haven't noticed any scoring through the lettering - are you sure it's isn't on the capsule itself, like on this one?

image.thumb.png.2dc9b6ce369b9109a97718b606bd640c.png

22 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I assumed the edge band joint (didn't know it was called that?) is there to stop the coin rotating within the capsule, so it would need to press against the coin. Not sure what you mean about it being "off center around blank"?

I haven't noticed any scoring through the lettering - are you sure it's isn't on the capsule itself, like on this one?

image.thumb.png.2dc9b6ce369b9109a97718b606bd640c.png

Wow, that looks terrible.  It looks like the raised letters scraped the capsule when the coin was inserted in it.

5 minutes ago, JeffM said:

Wow, that looks terrible.  It looks like the raised letters scraped the capsule when the coin was inserted in it.

Oh yeah, it probably has! Which means there'll be annoyingly tiny slivers of perspex dangling about inside the capsule too.

1 hour ago, NumismaticNI said:

Screenshot_20230324-164227.png

PXL_20230323_155209451~3.jpg

Hi Just a thought, with regards to these images. I really like these in the gold, however would've had to sell a kidney to get them. 

They look like a partial collar, where the planchet has been forced between the die edge and the collar,

which would mean that this would most likely be a mint error.

Two reasons could be that the blank was slightly off centre when it was put into the die or that the pressure and distance was just slightly out when minting.

Both would cause the metal to escape at the weakest point, which would in this case be the joint, and a similar distance on ether side of the joint .

depending on the amount of Gold that was pushed out.

There could also be a weakness to the opposite side edge lettering or at the highest points , although with only a small amount of gold moved there might be no discernible difference.

You could ether return as being poorly struck, or have it sent to NGC as a possible mint error. 

To be honest with the price of these, and the mintage figures, the Mint should never have sent this out. 

Look at this photo. You'll see what I mean about the edge band sitting raised, not flush with the rim of the coin.. not properly jointed either. My technical wording my be incorrect. What's caused this? I don't know if an error but poor quality for the price. 

Screenshot_20230324-214153.png