• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Just thinking out loud!

1 minute ago, dicker said:

Some time back, I also bought from someone who explicitly didn’t want feedback as they valued their privacy.

Not recently but I have noticed sellers delete all the details from their post once the deal was done, just left a full stop on the post - probably for the same reason I just realised

Just now, FlorinCollector said:

I will admit I am bad for leaving feedback. Sorry guys I will try improve

but I just hate trying to find the topic again

Pick any old post for the same or similar item if you cannot find it, it happens quite a bit and when I am the seller I do not mind that at all

I have taken to messaging buyers when I can see from the tracking the item has been delivered and asking if everything was OK and requesting feedback, or if they ping confirming receipt asking then/  Don't always remember for smaller or low value stuff but like James I keep receipts until I have confirmation from the seller the item has arrived

48 minutes ago, James32 said:

6) be realistic/sincere with offers, I love £10/£20 off for buying in bulk as much as anyone, but being offered £350 on a item that could be scrapped for £400 minimum is an insult, yep it actually happens. 

Or 15% below spot to do you a favour 🤣

48 minutes ago, James32 said:

Hi one and all. a few things have been bothering me recently so thought I'd air them 🙂 

This is in noway an attack on any specific member, but simply an expression that hopefully unites and improves the workings of the trade section in the forum. Obviously I'm opening myself up to an outcry of backstabbing from those who find offence in my geniune attempt to improve things for both myself and every single member who makes transactions, either incoming or outgoing 😆 

Can I please make a few simple suggestions to sellers firstly.

1) describe items carefully and considerately but most importantly honestly, so buyers can make an informed decision whether to purchase or not. Stop hiding behind the "bullion bollocks" if an item is marked/toned/scratched then say so. It will save our feelings of joy being swapped for anger when we open your parcel. I can assure you and so can other fine members who list this way ( your items will still sell if priced accordingly)

2) whilst it's each individuals perogative to price how they see fit, take a second to look round the forum and gauge a realistic average? Otherwise the only thing you will be selling is "Bumps" 

3) packaging, take a second to think about the item's journey, will your coin/bar or whatever the contents survive a 5 a side at the local sorting office? I can't fathom some of the careless decisions made by sellers I've purchased from on here. Thankfully its a small number but it has cost you a repeat buyer! Can we all agree not to stick item's directly to cardboard with brown ****ing tape?? Wrap in bubble wrap or even a clean sock first, the amount of capsules I've had to replace is uncalled for.

4) feedback!! Ohh the elephant in the room has awoke, see the feedback option? Yeah maybe try using it then 🤔 the amount of people recently complaining about not receiving is quite substantial, yes we can all forget now and again, but it's what keeps us all safe at the end of the day. Also newcomers need it to get any kind of standing on the forum. ( if I owe anyone feedback that has left some for me,then just shoot a message please)

5) messages, you know the words in a box type thing, that I know you read? Respond to them out of decency if nothing else, even if it's to tell me to f#ck off.

6) have you got what your selling? Sounds obvious but apparently not. I'm not overly keen on buying items you think/hope you may be getting in. Makes you look both incompetent and risky.

7) keep buyers in the loop, do not take my/their money and ignore for days, I understand fully that postage isn't an exact science and life can kick us in the proverbial, but at least tell me if its been posted and upload tracking if ive/we've paid for it. I'm not keen on guesswork or trying to read between the lines. Most importantly tell me if my payment has been received, think how nervous a newcomer is sending money to "Jack the ripper" on the Internet?

Now I will try and see it from a sellers perspective 😆 

1) buyers ( of which I am) hopefully I've treated you with decency and respect, kept you updated with tracking/payment received etc and dispatched as fast as my timeline allows on any given day, advised in a "honest" manner whether buying from me or not. Although please realise just because you have money, you don't own me. Treat me with the same decency i afford you.

2) Be clear and concise when messaging a seller, your tying up their time ( again referring to no1) all you see is an item for sale. Well try and remember there's a human being selling it. Be polite ( thankfully 95% of buyers/seller's are) and you will find the seller might just go that extra mile 😉

3) Be a man/woman of your word?? Yes this goes without saying in life in general, but here I am feeling the need to remind people "do/mean what you say"!! Please don't tell me you will do something and then ghost me, at the very least put me out of my misery!!

4) research what you are buying and " ask yourself "can you afford it? Don't get caught up in what other people are buying, do not feel obliged to buy today out of FOMO and then have to sell tomorrow at a loss. Please for the benefit of yourself and your family have a semi coherent plan ( I know this is rich coming from someone, with the attention span of a goldfish) but I've heard/witnessed a fair few newcomers get caught out by this. Do what's right for you and you only. Otherwise you will end up bitter/in trouble financially. 

5) feedback, ohh here he goes again lol. If a seller has taken the time to ( hopefully from now on) carefully package and efficiently deliver your item safely and satisfactory, then "Yes you guessed it" then please leave feedback 😊 for me personally, it's an indication of deal complete and I can now dispose of your postage receipt, that otherwise I have to safely keep for up to a month, in fear you may tell me in a week or two you haven't received yet. 

6) be realistic/sincere with offers, I love £10/£20 off for buying in bulk as much as anyone, but being offered £350 on a item that could be scrapped for £400 minimum is an insult, yep it actually happens. 

7) pay on time or at the very least give a rough time frame for payment. Do not drag out payment for hours and hours ( unless agreed with seller in advance) then expect the seller to run to the post office as soon as the money hits their bank.

Anyway enough negativity, there's some amazing sellers and buyers on here, people whom I'm proud to transact with on a regular basis, people who I trust unequivocally, and whilst I've yet to experience an issue with those people/members, if I did, I just know deep down I'd be looked after. Let's all strive to be like them? 

All sounds fair and reasonable.

I didn't see any mention of "free postage" though...

Might as well all just deal with a well-known Blackpool company!

Chards

2 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Pick any old post for the same or similar item if you cannot find it, it happens quite a bit and when I am the seller I do not mind that at all

I have taken to messaging buyers when I can see from the tracking the item has been delivered and asking if everything was OK and requesting feedback, or if they ping confirming receipt asking then/  Don't always remember for smaller or low value stuff but like James I keep receipts until I have confirmation from the seller the item has arrived

Yeh i always let a buyer know it has arrived or give tracking for a seller I am just not good on my after sale care feedback lol

The only slight disagreement i have with your post is posting/packaging.

You didn't account for thieving post office workers.

I sold a coin last week. A 1/4 gold coin in a capsule.

Got 2 pieces of card about  3x3 inches and carefully cut holes in both pieces and sank the capsule into it. Then put the card into a jiffy bag.  Wrote the address of the buyer on the jiffy bag and folded it like a soft pillow. Then put that jiffy bag into another jiffy bag and taped it shut. I dont believe squeezing it and prodding it would have given a clue as to what was in the envelope.

Yet i (my other half) posted it 1st class, recorded, signed for 24h etc etc.....

Got to the buyer as an empty jiffy bag that had been cut open and taped shut again by all acounts.

Theres no guarantees what ever you do. 

In th middle of a claim against the post office now. Theiving bas%&#@S!

Although i also understand what you mean about poor packaging.

Ordered 3 coins from bbp last week and the capsules were smashed to bits. But at least they made it to me.

Rich 

5 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

The only slight disagreement i have with your post is posting/packaging.

You didn't account for thieving post office workers.

I sold a coin last week. A 1/4 gold coin in a capsule.

Got 2 pieces of card about  3x3 inches and carefully cut holes in both pieces and sank the capsule into it. Then put the card into a jiffy bag.  Wrote the address of the buyer on the jiffy bag and folded it like a soft pillow. Then put that jiffy bag into another jiffy bag and taped it shut. I dont believe squeezing it and prodding it would have given a clue as to what was in the envelope.

Yet i (my other half) posted it 1st class, recorded, signed for 24h etc etc.....

Got to the buyer as an empty jiffy bag that had been cut open and taped shut again by all acounts.

Theres no guarantees what ever you do. 

In th middle of a claim against the post office now. Theiving bas%&#@S!

Although i also understand what you mean about poor packaging.

Ordered 3 coins from bbp last week and the capsules were smashed to bits. But at least they made it to me.

Rich 

Another one from me, this made me think of it

Best practice when posting is to not cover your parcel in tape, and not to tape your jiffy's either.  Having received tampered parcels before when I sign for anything if it has a whiff of tape I take a picture of it in my postman's hand before I will accept it.  Thankfully my usual postman is a friend but when he is on holiday the stand-ins think I am a nutter.  Once bitten twice shy though.  I use mailbags that are about £5 for 50 or clean new jiffy's that have decent adhesive on without the need for half a role of packing tape - don't be a tight bugger and buy some decent packaging materials, jiffy's and mailbags are cheap as chips

6 minutes ago, Arganto said:

If it helps I copy/paste the sales thread title into the PM message header. That way I can have a look at my PMs and copy/paste the header into the feedback form. The only thing that buggers that up is if the sales title is changed in the meantime.

That is a perfect idea i will do thisgoing forward 👌

I take pictures when preparing, packing and when it's finished with the label on. I send all that to the buyer so they can see what the package looks like, any obvious differences upon arrival will then be a red flag. It also helps to place a label or something over any stuck down areas that will be obvious if tampered with.

* I should say this is only for when I sell puncture repair kits for dollys as I don't have any PM to sell after the boating issue. I'm doing a roaring trade near the Welsh border.

Edited by Arganto

14 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

Special delivery fully insured I hope? Nothing else with royal mail covers bullion.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

6 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Another one from me, this made me think of it

Best practice when posting is to not cover your parcel in tape, and not to tape your jiffy's either.  Having received tampered parcels before when I sign for anything if it has a whiff of tape I take a picture of it in my postman's hand before I will accept it.  Thankfully my usual postman is a friend but when he is on holiday the stand-ins think I am a nutter.  Once bitten twice shy though.  I use mailbags that are about £5 for 50 or clean new jiffy's that have decent adhesive on without the need for half a role of packing tape - don't be a tight bugger and buy some decent packaging materials, jiffy's and mailbags are cheap as chips

It was a brand new jiffy bag. I just ran 1 piece of tape across the flap for double the security. For what it was worth 🤨

26 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

I will admit I am bad for leaving feedback. Sorry guys I will try improve

but I just hate trying to find the topic again

Finding the topic again is the biggest ball ache......

4 minutes ago, Arganto said:

I take pictures when preparing, packing and when it's finished with the label on. I send all that to the buyer so they can see what the package looks like, any obvious differences upon arrival will then be a red flag. It also helps to place a label or something over any stuck down areas that will be obvious if tampered with.

Agreed, @Gordy will attest to this, I've a fetish for tape lol. 

Spot on @James32, honestly people should be offering free postage and packaging in their deals with fair prices.... I dont want to mention any members (@HerefordBullyun *cough*) but free P&P should be standard and be more of a fair market.

😆

22 minutes ago, FlorinCollector said:

If i do owe any feedback it will be a tenner a pop folks

Yous weegies give us Scots a bad name, not wonder we are considered tight.

5 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

Yep

Well they better look after you, or we are all in a precarious predicament. 

I'm sorry you have/are going through this, have you any insight/advice on what's actually involved, should any of us have the same misfortune and actually have to make a claim?

I'm honest myself if I have messed up I will say it. If I have pished off a member I will rectify it. Regardless whether its business or pleasure 

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454