• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Just thinking out loud!

1 minute ago, James32 said:

Well they better look after you, or we are all in a precarious predicament. 

I'm sorry you have/are going through this, have you any insight/advice on what's actually involved, should any of us have the same misfortune and actually have to make a claim?

Theres 2 ways. Online or by post. I went to a post office and got a claim form.  

Wanted sellers and buyers name and addresses and emails and contact numbers (although the buyes address was a PO Box no).

Proof of post and tracking number (had that)

Proof of monies being paid (went to bank and got statement showing payment and refund).

Also sent BBP invoice to prove the coin existed in the 1st place (they didn ask for that but i want my money or coin back).

Took to the main city post office to make sure they got it without question. From there it will be winging its way to the claims dept. Just a waiting game now. Upto a month to wait apparently.

Lost all faith in the PO now. Will take a day trip and use a tank of petrol to buy or sell a coin from now on if i need to.

2 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

I'm honest myself if I have messed up I will say it. If I have pished off a member I will rectify it. Regardless whether its business or pleasure 

100% it's not about being flawless ( nobody is) it's about taking an extra second to think of the other side during a deal,whether we are buying or selling. And like you say, if we make a mistake then fix it.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

6 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

Theres 2 ways. Online or by post. I went to a post office and got a claim form.  

Wanted sellers and buyers name and addresses and emails and contact numbers (although the buyes address was a PO Box no).

Proof of post and tracking number (had that)

Proof of monies being paid (went to bank and got statement showing payment and refund).

Also sent BBP invoice to prove the coin existed in the 1st place (they didn ask for that but i want my money or coin back).

Took to the main city post office to make sure they got it without question. From there it will be winging its way to the claims dept. Just a waiting game now. Upto a month to wait apparently.

Lost all faith in the PO now. Will take a day trip and use a tank of petrol to buy or sell a coin from now on if i need to.

How I always assumed it would go,apart from the possible month wait.

I'm of the opinion ( assumption) that this isn't a regular occurance with special delivery, so they will likely pay out .

58 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Pick any old post for the same or similar item if you cannot find it, it happens quite a bit and when I am the seller I do not mind that at all

<snip>...

I follow the relevant Sales post, and then it will appear in your 'Manage Followed Content' link in the dropdown from your profile (Top Right of the page if on Big screen) - just copy a chunk of the title, and paste in the appropriate area on the Feedback section and the Forum will find it 😊

@GoldDiggerDave - just read you hated this bit too...

Edited by Scootermuppet
added information

13 minutes ago, James32 said:

How I always assumed it would go,apart from the possible month wait.

I'm of the opinion ( assumption) that this isn't a regular occurance with special delivery, so they will likely pay out .

I've only ever had one lost item with a special delivery - years ago - was a portable minidisc player I sold on eBay (so you can tell how long ago! 😅) - claimed through Royal Mail and was sent a cheque (I seem to remember?) for the full stated value of the contents...

Just now, Scootermuppet said:

I've only ever had one lost item with a special delivery - years ago - was a portable minidisc player I sold on eBay (so you can tell how long ago! 😅) - claimed through Royal Mail and was sent a cheque (I seem to remember?) for the full stated value of the contents...

Good to know, whilst I'm always very specific about valuing contents accurately, if I'm going to the trouble of special delivery then an extra £1/£2 insurance won't break the bank. But I do often wonder how straightforward a problem will be dealt with.

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

Good to know, whilst I'm always very specific about valuing contents accurately, if I'm going to the trouble of special delivery then an extra £1/£2 insurance won't break the bank. But I do often wonder how straightforward a problem will be dealt with.

I'd say, it's their Premium Service - they would be daft to argue every claim... providing you don't submit 5 a month!

2 hours ago, James32 said:

Hi one and all. a few things have been bothering me recently so thought I'd air them 🙂 

This is in noway an attack on any specific member, but simply an expression that hopefully unites and improves the workings of the trade section in the forum. Obviously I'm opening myself up to an outcry of backstabbing from those who find offence in my geniune attempt to improve things for both myself and every single member who makes transactions, either incoming or outgoing 😆 

Can I please make a few simple suggestions to sellers firstly.

1) describe items carefully and considerately but most importantly honestly, so buyers can make an informed decision whether to purchase or not. Stop hiding behind the "bullion bollocks" if an item is marked/toned/scratched then say so. It will save our feelings of joy being swapped for anger when we open your parcel. I can assure you and so can other fine members who list this way ( your items will still sell if priced accordingly)

2) whilst it's each individuals perogative to price how they see fit, take a second to look round the forum and gauge a realistic average? Otherwise the only thing you will be selling is "Bumps" 

3) packaging, take a second to think about the item's journey, will your coin/bar or whatever the contents survive a 5 a side at the local sorting office? I can't fathom some of the careless decisions made by sellers I've purchased from on here. Thankfully its a small number but it has cost you a repeat buyer! Can we all agree not to stick item's directly to cardboard with brown ****ing tape?? Wrap in bubble wrap or even a clean sock first, the amount of capsules I've had to replace is uncalled for.

4) feedback!! Ohh the elephant in the room has awoke, see the feedback option? Yeah maybe try using it then 🤔 the amount of people recently complaining about not receiving is quite substantial, yes we can all forget now and again, but it's what keeps us all safe at the end of the day. Also newcomers need it to get any kind of standing on the forum. ( if I owe anyone feedback that has left some for me,then just shoot a message please)

5) messages, you know the words in a box type thing, that I know you read? Respond to them out of decency if nothing else, even if it's to tell me to f#ck off.

6) have you got what your selling? Sounds obvious but apparently not. I'm not overly keen on buying items you think/hope you may be getting in. Makes you look both incompetent and risky.

7) keep buyers in the loop, do not take my/their money and ignore for days, I understand fully that postage isn't an exact science and life can kick us in the proverbial, but at least tell me if its been posted and upload tracking if ive/we've paid for it. I'm not keen on guesswork or trying to read between the lines. Most importantly tell me if my payment has been received, think how nervous a newcomer is sending money to "Jack the ripper" on the Internet?

Now I will try and see it from a sellers perspective 😆 

1) buyers ( of which I am) hopefully I've treated you with decency and respect, kept you updated with tracking/payment received etc and dispatched as fast as my timeline allows on any given day, advised in a "honest" manner whether buying from me or not. Although please realise just because you have money, you don't own me. Treat me with the same decency i afford you.

2) Be clear and concise when messaging a seller, your tying up their time ( again referring to no1) all you see is an item for sale. Well try and remember there's a human being selling it. Be polite ( thankfully 95% of buyers/seller's are) and you will find the seller might just go that extra mile 😉

3) Be a man/woman of your word?? Yes this goes without saying in life in general, but here I am feeling the need to remind people "do/mean what you say"!! Please don't tell me you will do something and then ghost me, at the very least put me out of my misery!!

4) research what you are buying and " ask yourself "can you afford it? Don't get caught up in what other people are buying, do not feel obliged to buy today out of FOMO and then have to sell tomorrow at a loss. Please for the benefit of yourself and your family have a semi coherent plan ( I know this is rich coming from someone, with the attention span of a goldfish) but I've heard/witnessed a fair few newcomers get caught out by this. Do what's right for you and you only. Otherwise you will end up bitter/in trouble financially. 

5) feedback, ohh here he goes again lol. If a seller has taken the time to ( hopefully from now on) carefully package and efficiently deliver your item safely and satisfactory, then "Yes you guessed it" then please leave feedback 😊 for me personally, it's an indication of deal complete and I can now dispose of your postage receipt, that otherwise I have to safely keep for up to a month, in fear you may tell me in a week or two you haven't received yet. 

6) be realistic/sincere with offers, I love £10/£20 off for buying in bulk as much as anyone, but being offered £350 on a item that could be scrapped for £400 minimum is an insult, yep it actually happens. 

7) pay on time or at the very least give a rough time frame for payment. Do not drag out payment for hours and hours ( unless agreed with seller in advance) then expect the seller to run to the post office as soon as the money hits their bank.

Anyway enough negativity, there's some amazing sellers and buyers on here, people whom I'm proud to transact with on a regular basis, people who I trust unequivocally, and whilst I've yet to experience an issue with those people/members, if I did, I just know deep down I'd be looked after. Let's all strive to be like them? 

great points matey, one thing you forgot .....

those listings that insist on putting (CGT free) on 1oz silver coins to get the sale.... unless you're making a killing on silver or the price hits £2,000,000,000.00 an ounce you aint gonna need to worry about CGT as in todays markets, if you sell a coin for lets say £3.00 profit on a one ounce BRIT you need to sell 4100 of the buggers to just hit the allowance levels before you get hit with CGT and even then its only after you hit that profit allowance...... no unicorns were harmed in the drafting of this comment!!!! 😂

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

6 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

Great topic @James32, thanks!

A few thoughts:

• As a seller, if you want feedback, don't title your sales thread "Silver coins" or "Gold for sale", because it will be impossible to choose the right thread.  Sure, you can just give feedback linked to any old thread, but that doesn't help the next person who is actually interested in what the feedback was for.
    (As an aside, I must agree the current feedback mechanism is painful.  It should be possible to improve it, e.g. add a feedback button to the sales thread.)
  • As a seller, be upfront with delivery expectations.  It is normal (95%) to expect items to be shipped on the next working day, sometimes including Saturday.  If you aren't able to do that, especially if there is going to be a significant delay, be honest with the buyer before they pay.
  • As a buyer, tell the seller when you transfer the money.  Not everyone gets notifications from their bank.
  • As a seller, tell them when you received their payment (especially if they tell you when they sent it).  It is nerve wracking to send a large lump of cash to a complete stranger and have them ghost you.
  • As a seller, tell them you have sent the item, and what the tracking number is (assuming they paid for tracking).
  • As a buyer, tell the seller when the item arrives and that it is safe and in good condition.  Don't keep them guessing.  If there is additional verification or some other stage to the process, let them know.
  • As a seller, it is a sign of good faith to leave positive feedback for the buyer once they pay.  You can edit and/or request it is removed if problems occur later.
  • As a buyer, leave positive feedback for the seller once you receive the item and are happy with it.

Great additions, 👍 👌 

When to put negative feedback? I finalised a deal over 48 hours ago,asked at end of thread for their bank details and total price including S.D.,so I could immediately pay,which I think should be normal practice. Since then,I have received 2 pm's hours apart,firstly asking for what postage I wanted and secondly how I wanted to pay. I replied to both immediately,but I'm still waiting on the sellers bank details. Now I fully expect the purchase to arrive well packaged and in perfect condition,but I feel let down by overall experience,so should that justify a negative feedback,which I have never left before. 🤔🤔

STOP POSTING RATTLING BULLION  COINS IN CAPSULES!

For normal bullion coins non numismatic coins please just put them in a flip and send the capsule  within the package.  FFS it will not take a genius to work out whats inside the package.   We must all her the familiar rattle every week.    

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

43 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

For normal bullion coins non numismatic coins please just put them in a flip and send the capsule  within the package.  FFS it will not take a genius to work out whats inside the package.   We must all her the familiar rattle every week.    

so true, sadly...

(well, technically once or twice a month for me and most of us on here I suspect 😏 - but still a valid point!)

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I always post in capsules but they are airtites so no rattling and they afford the coin additional protection

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

This is where i probably fell short.

1 minute ago, Charliemouse said:

I thought of something that is worth emphasising.

Sellers: Respond in a timely manner!

This seems to be increasingly a problem.  Sellers put up a listing, often for a high value item, e.g. 1oz gold coin.  Potential buyers contact them, and... nothing.  You get maybe one or two responses per day.  Not only is it immensely frustrating waiting for a response, but it also really isn't a good look for the seller.  If they cannot communicate at a reasonable rate, are they going to be timely and reliable when shipping?  Are they overwhelmed and going to make mistakes?  Is this a scam?

If you have other commitments, work, holiday, etc, then perhaps think whether now is really the right time to sell.  And if you do really want to, again, be up front with sellers.  Either put it in the listing, or tell people before they pay, that you have something else going on right now.

And of course life happens, medical emergencies, personal problems.  But just drop a quick note when you can.  Sure, you might lose a sale.  But you will keep your reputation, and possibly gain one of being a fair player and a good communicator.  That's worth more.

Well said, I want you as president 👏 just not sure what club I'm sticking you In yet.

11 hours ago, Jimmock said:

When to put negative feedback? I finalised a deal over 48 hours ago,asked at end of thread for their bank details and total price including S.D.,so I could immediately pay,which I think should be normal practice. Since then,I have received 2 pm's hours apart,firstly asking for what postage I wanted and secondly how I wanted to pay. I replied to both immediately,but I'm still waiting on the sellers bank details. Now I fully expect the purchase to arrive well packaged and in perfect condition,but I feel let down by overall experience,so should that justify a negative feedback,which I have never left before. 🤔🤔

I don’t really feel that justifies a negative. A negative feedback on here = destruction of the persons ability to sell anything on the forum in the future. Not really a fair punishment for tardy communication, and as previously alluded to, whilst it’s annoying for the buyer people have lives and they might have something going on.

Although it sounds you’ve had a pretty poor experience so far, if it does indeed arrive well packaged and as described surely it’s a neutral at worst? Each to their own though.

Edited by Shep

39 minutes ago, James32 said:

Well said, I want you as president 👏 just not sure what club I'm sticking you In yet.

I like you very much James, but I don't want you to put me in the club, ever!

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

18 hours ago, Jimmock said:

no, not a good enough reason to be pedantic i'm afraid, wrong addressing/labelling and lying about it or selling badly described items maybe, but just because they aint sat at their pc or phone 24/7 is no reason for negative feedback

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

55 minutes ago, Gordy said:

just because they aint sat at their pc or phone 24/7 is no reason for negative feedback

What if they've been on the forum,countless times,without bothering to send me the details? It has been a negative experience for me,so surely the best I can do is to leave neutral feedback?