• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Just thinking out loud!

2 hours ago, Jimmock said:

What if they've been on the forum,countless times,without bothering to send me the details? It has been a negative experience for me,so surely the best I can do is to leave neutral feedback?

neutral yeah, totally agree, its just negative can have a huge effect on here, they may have personal issues going on or working shifts, could be a number of reasons and then going forward dont deal with them again... 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

14 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

STOP POSTING RATTLING BULLION  COINS IN CAPSULES!

For normal bullion coins non numismatic coins please just put them in a flip and send the capsule  within the package.  FFS it will not take a genius to work out whats inside the package.   We must all her the familiar rattle every week.    

I watched a YouTube video on how to stop coins from moving around in capsules. Some capsules vary slightly so coins can move from side to side. To stop this cut a narrow strip from a coin flip about 15mm long by 3mm depending on the capsule depth , place two or more of these apart in the gap between the coin and capsule. Screw the cap on your coin will stay in position and they don't show from the outside. Great for posting coins or keeping your best coins safe 👍 

Just now, Arganto said:

If you're a weird bugger like me and happen to be handy with a sharp blade you can cut the centre sections from airtites/knock off airtites so they fit smaller coins. No rattles, no worries. It's often worth buying the big versions of the knock offs just to do this.

Wow 👌 just literally give me a way of storing 1/10ths in the same capsules and red top tubes. 

Away to buy a sharper knife/scapel, if I cut myself though, expect a letter of complaint. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

5 minutes ago, James32 said:

expect a letter of complaint. 

Take a ticket and get in line, the queue is current at #33,333. Have a 1st aid kit nearby at all times.

That said I've had success with 1/10ths and 1/2 sovs doing this after buying a bulk lot of capsules for full sovs. 

That later got lost

At the bottom

Of 

The

Ocean.

1 hour ago, Arganto said:

If you're a weird bugger like me and happen to be handy with a sharp blade you can cut the centre sections from airtites/knock off airtites so they fit smaller coins. No rattles, no worries. It's often worth buying the big versions of the knock offs just to do this.

As this has gained traction with two likes (the influencer life is hard, and real) I will elaborate;

Take said coin (presumably not a priceless proof?) And press it into the circular centre section 'leftover' that you have from your larger coin airtite/knock off capsule. You should have an impression that lasts long enough either for you to dive straight in, blade clutched maniacally in hand or at least long enough to draw around it with a a finetip that will show up.

Cut the inside line of the impression/outline with your Stanley/exact-o/rusty switch blade (depending on here you are geographically located) if you used a pen or the outside if you used the impression method.

Insert hacked up foam disaster into your capsule.

Voila.

You have now attained your first TSF crafting club badge.

No, I don't do camping weekends.

3 minutes ago, Arganto said:

As this has gained traction with two likes (the influencer life is hard, and real) I will elaborate;

Take said coin (presumably not a priceless proof?) And press it into the circular centre section 'leftover' that you have from your larger coin airtite/knock off capsule. You should have an impression that lasts long enough either for you to dive straight in, blade clutched maniacally in hand or at least long enough to draw around it with a a finetip that will show up.

Cut the inside line of the impression/outline with your Stanley/exact-o/rusty switch blade (depending on here you are geographically located) if you used a pen or the outside if you used the impression method.

Voila.

You have now attained your first TSF crafting club badge.

No, I don't do camping weekends.

Excellent explanation, except..

My foam is black and so is my ****ing crayons. 😤 

24 minutes ago, James32 said:

My foam is black and so is my ****ing crayons. 😤

If you chew on them for while, like I do, they will end up as a grey mulchy mess. Spit it out and wait for a few hours and you'll have a really off putting pile of goop. Pop into Tesco and get a Sharpie at this point and maybe a milkshake from the inevitable MacDonut next door.

You are my spirit animal @James32

2 minutes ago, Arganto said:

If you chew on them for while, like I do, they will end up as a grey mulchy mess. Spit it out and wait for a few hours and you'll have a really off putting pile of goop. Pop into Tesco and get a Sharpie at this point and maybe a milkshake from the inevitable MacDonut next door.

You are my spirit animal @James32

On 28/09/2022 at 21:20, FlorinCollector said:

I just hate trying to find the topic again

When buying or selling I always include the topic title as the message title, and it helps a lot :)  

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

As a seller, I never experienced this, so I need some assistance. Call it, thinking out loud too... What to do if buyer has paid slightly over 4 weeks ago for an item, and hasn't sent me address since? Buyer has been online and active on the forum and hasn't read my messages in almost 3 weeks.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

11 minutes ago, stackerp5 said:

As a seller, I never experienced this, so I need some assistance. Call it, thinking out loud too... What to do if buyer has paid slightly over 4 weeks ago for an item, and hasn't sent me address since? Buyer has been online and active on the forum and hasn't read my messages in almost 3 weeks.

Sounds like his problem! You've got the money and the goods... 

7 hours ago, stackerp5 said:

Honestly it's never happened to me as my buyers are too savy 😆 

I'd draw money from bank, stick in a envelope at the office/home with the buyers username and purchase date. Put in a safe place and wait for buyer to make contact again?

11 hours ago, Arganto said:

Instructions unclear. Almost drowned 

26 minutes ago, James32 said:

You say the nicest things.  😊

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

58 minutes ago, James32 said:

I'd draw money from bank, stick in a envelope at the office/home with the buyers username and purchase date. Put in a safe place and wait for buyer to make contact again?

That's what I'd ideally do, but I have used the money already. The sole reason for selling was to pay for some bills at the time so seller will have to take the item someday lol - but that also means I have an item that I can't move, and have to worry about the buyer 🙃

I should start charging storage fees 🤣

Edited by stackerp5

2 minutes ago, stackerp5 said:

That's what I'd ideally do, but I have used the money already. The sole reason for selling was to pay for some bills at the time so seller will have to take the item someday lol - but that also means I have an item that I can't move, and have to worry about the buyer 🙃

I should start charging storage fees 🤣

Auction? See if the buyer joins in lol.

On 28/09/2022 at 21:31, AaaGee said:

The only slight disagreement i have with your post is posting/packaging.

You didn't account for thieving post office workers.

I sold a coin last week. A 1/4 gold coin in a capsule.

Got 2 pieces of card about  3x3 inches and carefully cut holes in both pieces and sank the capsule into it. Then put the card into a jiffy bag.  Wrote the address of the buyer on the jiffy bag and folded it like a soft pillow. Then put that jiffy bag into another jiffy bag and taped it shut. I dont believe squeezing it and prodding it would have given a clue as to what was in the envelope.

Yet i (my other half) posted it 1st class, recorded, signed for 24h etc etc.....

Got to the buyer as an empty jiffy bag that had been cut open and taped shut again by all acounts.

Theres no guarantees what ever you do. 

In th middle of a claim against the post office now. Theiving bas%&#@S!

Although i also understand what you mean about poor packaging.

Ordered 3 coins from bbp last week and the capsules were smashed to bits. But at least they made it to me.

Rich 

That reminds me of an old story / joke:

An old guy, who had just had his entire world collapse on him, decided in desperation to write to Father Christmas.

He sent a long letter, with a complete catalogue of all his recent disasters, and ended by saying he was likely to starve to death or die or cold before Christmas, unless his luck changed or he received some money from somewhere. He said that £100 would be enough for him to survive.

The postal workers in the local sorting depot opened the letter and read it. They had a quick whip round, raised £50, and sent his local postman straignt back round to deliver it.

The next day, they received a letter from the old man:

"Dear Santa, 

Thank you very much for reading my letter.

I received you package today with £50 in it. Unfortunately, the thieving people at my local post office stole the other £50"

😎

Chards

I can confirm that when I last purchased from @James32, I was expecting a set of instructions on how to open my package - and it even came with multiple layers. I guess you could say that it proved to be a cheap evening, because I was kept entertained just trying to get in.

I actually thought that I had somehow ended up in the Crystal Maze and was expecting @HerefordBullyun to come bursting through my front door at any moment to tell me that we had to go and play a game of darts while dancing over a lake of lava, chugging kegs of ale, all while singing karaoke.

Hmm, I could be mixing part of that story up with memories from Saturday night at the pub...

The inferior man argues about his rights, while the superior man imposes duties upon himself.

He who has a why can bear almost any how.

Every act of beauty is a revolt against the modern world.

2 minutes ago, Lyrinn said:

I can confirm that when I last purchased from @James32, I was expecting a set of instructions on how to open my package - and it even came with multiple layers. I guess you could say that it proved to be a cheap evening, because I was kept entertained just trying to get in.

I actually thought that I had somehow ended up in the Crystal Maze and was expecting @HerefordBullyun to come bursting through my front door at any moment to tell me that we had to go and play a game of darts while dancing over a lake of lava, chugging kegs of ale, all while singing karaoke.

Hmm, I could be mixing part of that story up with memories from Saturday night at the pub...

19 minutes ago, Lyrinn said:

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

A valid post here James.

I would strongly encourage anyone posting via special delivery to use the grey sacks, pack in a jiffy bag but always use the grey sacks on top as they are distinguishable amongst Royal mail staff that the item is SD and it will help in any claim. 

On 29/09/2022 at 23:05, Arganto said:

Thank you for the accurate and realistic instructions - this is exactly what I get.