• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

27 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

Both are stunning. The original and the Alderney version.

Is it usual for Alderney to release theirs before RM?

As you might have guessed, I’m late to the Great Engravers party.

I think so....they released the the others first I believe, but don't quote me on that.

Still think the original is unbeatable Re:Gothic Crown.. 

So the two coin gold set totalling 4ozs will set me back £10k assuming I'm "lucky enough" to get ripped off... Will I be able to pass them off at Tescos without getting arrested though? 🤨

You'll have to forgive me, Im a knuckle dragging stacker at heart.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

7 hours ago, ArgentSmith said:

So the two coin gold set totalling 4ozs will set me back £10k assuming I'm "lucky enough" to get ripped off... Will I be able to pass them off at Tescos without getting arrested though? 🤨

You'll have to forgive me, Im a knuckle dragging stacker at heart.

I think that's why it could be, that the RM will split the release. I don't know, but it's possible. The EIC is coming just with the shield. I don't know if they will release both designs.

16 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Whilst we are waiting for the Royal Mint to issue the 2021 Gothic Crown, I thought it would be nice to show the 1847 alongside the Alderney. Also gives me an opportunity to very proudly confirm I have finally managed to get a Gothic Crown. Probably just in time before the prices go crazy.

What do you guys think of the effort from Alderney? I think they did well. The only real difference is the alignment and I wonder if the Royal Mint will follow the 1847 or Alderney in that respect?

D32B7D5B-5557-401F-A377-751685AD549F.jpeg

608D69CE-2DBD-431C-8930-B81B7080A91F.jpeg

Congrats for these great coins, especially the original one. Absolute amazing. Are the Alderney sets only PF70, like the 3G? The PCGS POP is pretty lower than the possible mintages. 

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/alderney/946

And for how long can they mint and submit them at PCGS? 

18 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

Congrats for these great coins, especially the original one. Absolute amazing. Are the Alderney sets only PF70, like the 3G? The PCGS POP is pretty lower than the possible mintages. 

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/alderney/946

And for how long can they mint and submit them at PCGS? 

Thanks! Re the Alderney ones - this is a good question. The best thing to do is to contact the person I bought the coins from and he can advise on what is happening. I am not entirely sure. I do know that he recently had the silver proof 2oz in stock but the matt ones and other larger denomination ones were pending. If you need his details, please let me know. I am not sure we can openly (on the forum) share contact details??? If anyone thinks I can - then I will (email and internet shop address only).

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

Bah... Is it just me or is the whole frenzy over buying a copy of a coin ridiculous. China have been selling them for years !

Is it because it's an 'official' copy ?

I think people are anticipating making quite a bit of money if they can buy at the release price - and the coins are also going to look quite good.

Making money does seem to be the narrative...

I bought a copy coin a few years ago when i realised that the original was beyond my limit for spending on a single coin. It cost me less than a fiver - i have no idea what dies were used but it seemed pretty accurate to the original.

It would seem that the RM are missing a trick if the biggest motivation to purchasing these coins is to re-sell them at a profit. Maybe they should hold back a few and list them on Ebay 😁

Register your interest now... Although, we all know that the mail may come after everything is sold out :D

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-great-engravers/gothic-crown/

"The Great Engravers Collection continues with the first of two coins paying homage to the Gothic Crown, one of the most beautiful coins ever struck by
The Royal Mint. Sign up below to be one of the first to hear about our upcoming release."

From the info on RM webpage, it seems that they will release 2 designs separately (?)...

5 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Cat is out of the bag! It is a two stage release so those worried about initial costs can relax!

Proof and premium proof release!?

My bank account just had a stroke I think

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

25 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

Proof and premium proof release!?

My bank account just had a stroke I think

Just the usual high quality proof as far as I am aware (which should already be considered a premium for c.£130 an ounce). If they release a proof set and a premium proof set I would be confused - especially given the design of the obverse is complex (understatement of the year) and GOOD LUCK getting that perfect for a premium proof.

I would expect the first coin to be the shield and the second to be the portrait. Makes sense to me, but it is a sort of informed guess based on a guess of a hunch based on what I would like to see, coupled with what deep throat told me in the car park……….

Has everyone been saving their pennies!?

1 minute ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Just the usual high quality proof as far as I am aware (which should already be considered a premium for c.£130 an ounce). If they release a proof set and a premium proof set I would be confused - especially given the design of the obverse is complex (understatement of the year) and GOOD LUCK getting that perfect for a premium proof.

I would expect the first coin to be the shield and the second to be the portrait. Makes sense to me, but it is a sort of informed guess based on a guess of a hunch based on what I would like to see, coupled with what deep throat told me in the car park……….

Has everyone been saving their pennies!?

Ah, of course - both sides of the coin.

I hope they give options for those lucky enough to get the first coin to get the second otherwise it's going to be a 2nd hand bloodbath for completing a set of the two.....

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Just now, BackyardBullion said:

Ah, of course - both sides of the coin.

I hope they give options for those lucky enough to get the first coin to get the second otherwise it's going to be a 2nd hand bloodbath for completing a set of the two.....

This did cross my mind too. I am still reeling from the Three Graces blood bath. 

It crossed my mind that by releasing the coins in two stages, could this open the door for two coins per year for the rest of the series?

if, as expected, the series does move on to other engravers then they will have plenty to choose from going forward and so two coins per year might make more sense… or sticking to one per year might really prolong the series…

11 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

It crossed my mind that by releasing the coins in two stages, could this open the door for two coins per year for the rest of the series?

if, as expected, the series does move on to other engravers then they will have plenty to choose from going forward and so two coins per year might make more sense… or sticking to one per year might really prolong the series…

I hear the same from dealer, reverse side for 1 coin, then obverse side for another, so that will be split into 2 releases.

3 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

This did cross my mind too. I am still reeling from the Three Graces blood bath. 

Imagine if they did something crazy like create different mintages for the obverse and reverse 😀

I think it's going to be a bloodbath no matter what, after what happened to the Una and the lion prices the world and his dog are going to be after one of these.