• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

Just now, Bruce06 said:

I hear the same from dealer, reverse side for 1 coin, then obverse side for another, so that will be split into 2 releases.

I'd imagine that it is going to be unique to this coin as the current monarchs effigy always has to be on it.

With the 1847 crown Queen Victoria's noggin is an integral part of the design so they didn't have too many options other than to make it a two coin release.

On 03/11/2021 at 13:33, TeaTime said:

Making money does seem to be the narrative...

I bought a copy coin a few years ago when i realised that the original was beyond my limit for spending on a single coin. It cost me less than a fiver - i have no idea what dies were used but it seemed pretty accurate to the original.

It would seem that the RM are missing a trick if the biggest motivation to purchasing these coins is to re-sell them at a profit. Maybe they should hold back a few and list them on Ebay 😁

I think its important to note it didn't start this way with the original Una coin. It wasn't an instant sell out. I hummed and hawed over buying it for more than 24 hours before pulling the trigger and it was available for a while after I ordered one. Had the RM been aware of what it would become I'm sure they would have increased the mintage and price much as they did with the 3 Graces. I'd be surprised if both aren't pushed a little higher still for the next release and I'm sure the next being a two coin release plays into their decision to go with the Gothic Crown. With the exposure the original Una has given the RM and how that has almost certainly driven sales for other coins - especially in the 2oz proof format - I suspect they've done just fine out of it.

Assuming both designs have the same mintages, any thoughts on which one will command higher premium once the dust has settled? I would guess the portrait 🤷‍♂️

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

• 2 weeks later...

At least if you have to register for interest the chances are at least it won't be this Monday so that's something.

Between this and the soverigns my bank account is suffering!!

What's the bets that it will be another, now usual, sign up for the series?

5 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I just got confirmation from a source that these are to be released on December 7.

Seems like an odd day but it’s getting close. 🥵

That's Aussie time mate. 😉 They'll be out on the 6th Dec in Old Blighty.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

26 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

That's Aussie time mate. 😉 They'll be out on the 6th Dec in Old Blighty.

Ahaha oh that makes sense. 😎

8 hours ago, NewCoins said:

Found some original die images, if anyone still needs their appetite wetting.

57250b265abaa_1(1).JPG.2d8f5a0f5007f6bd87ad517f28ea43cd.JPG

57250b4ba4c91_1(2).JPG.ba4040bbfcbf75e5b9b51299e16f6d2a (1).JPG

Good grief that is gorgeous! 😍

7 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I just got confirmation from a source that these are to be released on December 7.

Seems like an odd day but it’s getting close. 🥵

I kind of suspected this as release date. Too late to market for this Monday. Any later than the 6th Dec and they are pushing it for troubles with dispatch/ holiday period etc. That said, RM not adverse to mega customer relations issues.

I just hope my remortgage comes through in time. 

Edited by Stu
Spelling (again)

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

On 06/11/2021 at 22:15, ArgentSmith said:

Assuming both designs have the same mintages, any thoughts on which one will command higher premium once the dust has settled? I would guess the portrait 🤷‍♂️

Why do you ask?

If you are fortunate enough to bag any release in this series, you will be doing very well I would suggest.  Demand for these will be huge. 

Edited by Stu

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

9 hours ago, NewCoins said:

Found some original die images, if anyone still needs their appetite wetting.

57250b265abaa_1(1).JPG.2d8f5a0f5007f6bd87ad517f28ea43cd.JPG

57250b4ba4c91_1(2).JPG.ba4040bbfcbf75e5b9b51299e16f6d2a (1).JPG

We just don't get this quality anymore,  everything is a digital image now and the dies are just laser cut and mass produced. That's why the have a low relief   the new digital  type George and Dragon reverse looks badly photo shopped, you can see what I'm getting at when you closely look at the sword passing over the horses back. 

Love these dies and would love the Royal Mint to re use JMB original shield for a run of sovereigns.  

48 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

We just don't get this quality anymore,  everything is a digital image now and the dies are just laser cut and mass produced. That's why the have a low relief   the new digital  type George and Dragon reverse looks badly photo shopped, you can see what I'm getting at when you closely look at the sword passing over the horses back. 

Love these dies and would love the Royal Mint to re use JMB original shield for a run of sovereigns.  

The designs are also less intricate. I mentioned this about the 2022 Sovereign. It is a nice design yes, but doesn’t hold a candle to the intricate shield and coat of arms designs on the 19th century coins and medals. 

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Why do you ask?

If you are fortunate enough to bag any release in this series, you will be doing very well I would suggest.  Demand for these will be huge. 

I would guess the portrait will be more popular than the shield IMO

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024