• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

See how this one goes 

obviously a huge fan of the original gothic 

But personally I didn’t like the design seen on the Alderney release 

I didn’t think the design worked on new silver. Much prefer the antique finish am use to seeing the design on 

will I still try and get one 

of course 

Edited by magpie79

10 minutes ago, magpie79 said:

See how this one goes 

I didn’t think the design worked on new silver. Much prefer the antique finish am use to seeing the design on 

of course 

I know exactly what you mean. The silver will age well!

46 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

I would guess the portrait will be more popular than the shield IMO

Are you intending buying  on the secondary market if you don’t get one on initial release from mint?

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Just now, Stu said:

Are you intending buying  on the secondary market if you don’t get one on initial release from mint?

Why do you ask?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

7 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

Why do you ask?

You were asking about potential prices once the dust had settled. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

9 hours ago, ArgentSmith said:

I would guess the portrait will be more popular than the shield IMO

Really? I'm new to this game but to me the shield seems like the special part of this...to each their own though and to be fair I think both coins will be amazing. Just have to hope for luck on the day

8 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

Really? I'm new to this game but to me the shield seems like the special part of this...to each their own though and to be fair I think both coins will be amazing. Just have to hope for luck on the day

I am on the fence personally. I have a young head soveriegn specifically for the portrait.

But I do like the shield. I will settle for them both 😀

6 hours ago, Mario007 said:

so are the first two coins of this series been realised yet? as i can't find them from the web site

is there a list of the coins of this series ?

I love this forum.......The gift that keeps on giving! 

Does anyone have any experience of buying original gothic crowns ? I am not looking for a top end one or anywhere near (£££). Does anyone have any approximate price ranges at all levels? It seems there have been some previously attached to jewellery for example that have been sold in the past, that have sold in the region of £400 (VF).

If anyone has any hints of experience I would love to hear them. 

Below is an example that sold a few years ago. Seems circulated to me? Were they all proof ? I have read conflicting things.

Screenshot_20211127-094457_Chrome.jpg

Edited by NewCoins

Graded examples have premiums PF55-58 normally £3-5k but that could change after the next release. Any above PF60 normally start at £7k+ with the best examples being ridiculous money 

Any ungraded but would likely get a grade also hold a premium which can be big money again if a nice example 

You can occasionally see them in the hundreds but not as often nowadays and as you said they are normally damaged in some way but still nice coins if you aren’t worried about it being graded and slabbed 

26 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

Does anyone have any experience of buying original gothic crowns ? I am not looking for a top end one or anywhere near (£££). Does anyone have any approximate price ranges at all levels? It seems there have been some previously attached to jewellery for example that have been sold in the past, that have sold in the region of £400 (VF).

Below is an example that sold a few years ago. Seems circulated to me? Were they all proof ? I have read conflicting things.

£400? Still a bargain 

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

11 minutes ago, Simmoleon said:

Graded examples have premiums PF55-58 normally £3-5k but that could change after the next release. Any above PF60 normally start at £7k+ with the best examples being ridiculous money 

Any ungraded but would likely get a grade also hold a premium which can be big money again if a nice example 

You can occasionally see them in the hundreds but not as often nowadays and as you said they are normally damaged in some way but still nice coins if you aren’t worried about it being graded and slabbed 

Thank you. To be honest I will happily have a cheaper one. I will take a look around. If I am happy to pay 500+ for a 5oz new one, I struggle to convince myself why I wouldn't be willing to pay 1k ish for a less than perfect example of the original. I think I have convinced myself 

2 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

£400? Still a bargain 

I think so. That was 4 years ago mind. 

23 hours ago, magpie79 said:

See how this one goes 

of course 

This is how I feel. I bought the Alderney version and shared pictures of the original against the Alderney release. Repeated below.

This is the first in the GE series where the original coin is actually available to people who don’t have £100k plus to spend on coins. A good example can be found for £6-25k. I realise this still represents a lot of money but from an investment perspective (and this is not financial advice) it makes perfect sense; at least to me!D32B7D5B-5557-401F-A377-751685AD549F.thumb.jpeg.9258cefa25dc12b8759cff247b4dfbb3.jpeg608D69CE-2DBD-431C-8930-B81B7080A91F.thumb.jpeg.000e93a2d4e1700636dbc4462e4e6ecd.jpeg

2 hours ago, NewCoins said:

If it's £400 nowadays, really need to check carefully about its authentication.

2 minutes ago, magpie79 said:

Just got a email from rm 

says two coins to be released?DDB871C3-5EAF-482C-90ED-B97A79F93A91.thumb.png.ec1ff89e8328e58724b570582c1d967e.png

Yes - this is something that I think has been discussed earlier in this thread. The issues will mirror what Alderney have done. The Gothic Crown is split with the original Queen Vic obverse and Shield reverse being released as two coins with the two obverses being the Jody Clark fifth portrait.

18 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Yes - this is something that I think has been discussed earlier in this thread. The issues will mirror what Alderney have done. The Gothic Crown is split with the original Queen Vic obverse and Shield reverse being released as two coins with the two obverses being the Jody Clark fifth portrait.

I thought that might be the answer 

Great pictures btw 

am still not convinced on the new silver 

the design just looks to busy for me 

but i will be there with you all on release day