• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Great Engravers - Gothic Crown - Sneak Preview?

5 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Could this be the next coin in the Royal Mint's Great Engravers series:

victoriagothic-REPLICA-goldfullsovereignrevcrop.thumb.jpg.8bd148883ba616bc6d77c96e5b5e8b99.jpg

or:

victoriagothic-REPLICA-goldsovereignobvcrop.thumb.jpg.6163c6b39c8063e58598904c0e8e9cb6.jpg

Just an idea!

Lovely to see so, it is one of the most beautiful piece of artwork in history, so no reason why it's not the 3rd one in series.  The only problem is how it's going to make in a modern coin, as the reverse is busier than previous 2.

Probably because another mint has started producing / taking orders on their version of it (they must have got the inside news a while back) but because it would be a medal (to copy both sides) it can’t be coin unless they do it as a two coin set with Lizzy on both OR change the design to have QEII on it and make her side look like the original 🤔 as @dicker eluded to above. This could be the big mystery as to what RM decide to do. I’m betting on two coins so they can milk it further and the owner can display both sides. They could do this with the Waterloo medal and others in the future too 💵 💰 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

I've always been in two minds about the gothic crown, on the one hand the design is one of the best ever made, on the other hand the majority of those coins haven't aged well. There's just no lustre left on them, you can harldy tell they have any proof finish.

As mentioned the image of Victoria really makes the coin, so replacing it will most likely loose most of its appeal.

The Royal Mint certainly has a tough job to pick the next design for the great engravers, I know it probably isn't internationally recognised but I wouldn't mind seeing the rocking horse crown.

17 hours ago, Simmoleon said:

Would they do a Gothic version of Elizabeth II - just can’t picture how they would recreate this with QEII on it; unless they did 2 coins 🤷‍♂️

If the RM hear that suggestion, I guess they would be happy to make 3..

... or 4 ...

or...🙂

Chards

9 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

Probably because another mint has started producing / taking orders on their version of it (they must have got the inside news a while back) but because it would be a medal (to copy both sides) it can’t be coin unless they do it as a two coin set with Lizzy on both OR change the design to have QEII on it and make her side look like the original 🤔 as @dicker eluded to above. This could be the big mystery as to what RM decide to do. I’m betting on two coins so they can milk it further and the owner can display both sides. They could do this with the Waterloo medal and others in the future too 💵 💰 

... so they can milk it further...

Ah, so that's what's causing all the milk spots.

or...

Wednesday, 28 July
National Milk Chocolate Day 2021 in United States

Perhaps the RM thought it was National Milk Spots Day! 🙂

Chards

8 hours ago, GoldStatue said:

I've always been in two minds about the gothic crown, on the one hand the design is one of the best ever made, on the other hand the majority of those coins haven't aged well. There's just no lustre left on them, you can harldy tell they have any proof finish.

As mentioned the image of Victoria really makes the coin, so replacing it will most likely loose most of its appeal.

The Royal Mint certainly has a tough job to pick the next design for the great engravers, I know it probably isn't internationally recognised but I wouldn't mind seeing the rocking horse crown.

You can't really expect silver coins to retain full brilliant lustre for over 170 years.

The reason for the lack of proof finish is because most were struck in non-proof finish.

There were proof versions of the 1847, in gold and in silver, both very rare.

The 1853 coins were only struck as proofs and are rarer than the 1847s.

Chards

Guys I love you your enthusiasm and expectations..but no one knows what the next coin of the GREAT ENGRAVERS i.e Mr WW is going to be..except the RM...who will milk it like a farm full of cow's 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Just have to wait n see....but I don't think it will be the Gothic Crown....!

2 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

Guys I love you your enthusiasm and expectations..but no one knows what the next coin of the GREAT ENGRAVERS i.e Mr WW is going to be..except the RM...who will milk it like a farm full of cow's 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Just have to wait n see....but I don't think it will be the Gothic Crown....!

That's what we are all worried about, a farm full of cows, and milk spots everywhere! 🙂

Chards

Well as we all know...the RM products of coins,new releases.. I.e Milk spots,hairline scratches..poor QC seem to be more prevalent on all the silver proofs..so..its the Gold coins we should go for but!!!!!!! as the mintages of their Gold coins are low..its always hard for us..the basic collectors v the well known established PM collectors who receive notifications earlier than us..I know established coin collectors say they do not get any advanced notice of new releases but I don't buy that at all....its just a matter of luck that us mere mortals sign on on the day of new releases and lucky enough to be able to get one coin...but more chance of winning the lottery....as the RM look after their high valued customers first...with Account managers....its a fact although no one wll admit that..cest la vie...that's how the world works..I just keep my finger's crossed when new releases come out I might be lucky enough to aquire one before it's flipped on the secondary market for a huge profit....but its the same people..( No names) who seem to always get these coins..just have to look on YouTube to discover who gets these new releases...🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔😉

Heres my only gothic crown in my collection, sorry my bad - I thought you said gothic clown 🤡😁

image.png.ce374be13506a3756c46a9d6ca3ab13e.png

Edited by HerefordBullyun

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

24 minutes ago, CollectorNo1 said:

the RM look after their high valued customers first...with Account managers....

No they don’t, I have one and get no big favours. The A.M don’t tip me off on releases or help me reserve any coin. It’s genuinely first come first served, in fact I’m rather annoyed about it having spent so much with them. I’ve had to buy on the secondary market as much as the next bloke. Feel free to spend £50k online and find out for yourselves 😉 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA