• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I want to show.....

2 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Edward VII is a hot topic at present with a remastered image in the latest Monarch series.

This is the my sum total of 8 sovereigns and 6 x Silver 1902 Coronation coins by DeSaulles. The Matt Proof Florin reverse shows Britannia, an image which may have inspired Machins later image.

B404379A-78FC-4003-8B8E-B9B245AE9D1B.jpeg

Totes jellybeans

Part 2: In comparison, this is the last coinage of George VI after the debased ‘Silver’ was changed to cupro-nickel. As can be seen the so called silver in pre decimal form is relatively dull in appearance. However there are proofs among them 1951 (Festival of Britain) - Florin and 3d bit!  An exception to this debasement was that during QEIIs reign she insisted that her Maundy money stay in .925 Silver! At the time these were the best coins I could find.  It’s what collectors do..😀

1B51D63A-310A-4346-8194-0858158D1B76.jpeg

1 hour ago, bluffer said:

cool stuff.   anyone know why they didnt go for a decimal pound instead of a decimal dollar?  Down to wanting to break away from the old country?

I'm not sure but New Zealand and Canada did the same thing, although Canada did it considerably earlier, probably due to its proximity to the U.S.  It's possible that NZ and Oz took a look at the way the Canadians did it and decided they liked it.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

13 hours ago, Silverman2U said:

How rare is this? Value? Any thoughts appreciated. A friends child found it on the roadside. Appreciate its a little scratched, though not quite scrap. 

7E4C8617-DB14-4A78-836A-365A35788DF0.jpeg

B830660C-59B7-4FF8-A84F-9794DD2C3B4A.jpeg

Mintage of 10,218,000 and 80% silver, nice :D 

Probably worth about £10 in that state?

Interested in peoples thoughts on this.

I did not know there as a piedford 5 sov piece like this one being auctioned.

Seems it’s “piefort” spelling is off, rather than “piedfort”. Though this is on the NGC site too?! I can’t not find this coin on Royal Mint site anywhere, not that that means much. 

Any one got an thoughts on the legitimacy of this coin existing? Is it another error on the coin cabinets side. I have already been waiting over 6 months for them to resolve an issue in which they sold me the incorrect coins! ;( 

I know there is the 5 sov though thought this was only in the 5 coin set (see one of pictures below). It’s definitely not a 2.35oz gold coin! 

5FE437E2-F20F-4A6C-ABCB-322114B056DC.png

1E6E7B21-D750-4AAF-898D-6608C42B9268.png

01F07D22-BE76-4995-9F98-7D4A8575374B.jpeg

Edited by Silverman2U
Update info

2 minutes ago, Silverman2U said:

Interested in peoples thoughts on this.

I did not know there as a piedford 5 sov piece like this one being auctioned.

Seems it’s “piefort” spelling is off, rather than “piedfort”. Though this is on the NGC site too?! I can’t not find this coin on Royal Mint site anywhere, not that that means much. 

Any one got an thoughts on the legitimacy of this coin existing? Is it another error on the coin cabinets side. I have already been waiting over 6 months for them to resolve an issue in which they sold me the incorrect coins! ;( 

5FE437E2-F20F-4A6C-ABCB-322114B056DC.png

1E6E7B21-D750-4AAF-898D-6608C42B9268.png

01F07D22-BE76-4995-9F98-7D4A8575374B.jpeg

They were never advertised to the public, 70 sets were sold to mint marquee customers only. A set is currently available from @Chrisplym on the forum 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

29 minutes ago, James32 said:

They were never advertised to the public, 70 sets were sold to mint marquee customers only. A set is currently available from @Chrisplym on the forum 

https://www.royalmint.com/mintmarque/mint-marque-invest/

Yes 70 sets. 

Thanks I thought the purchase requirements levels for silver, gold and platinum members use to be about 1/2 those listed now …or was that “mint mark”? 

Thanks for the info all the same. 
I stayed with my manager manager at RM. Get a few benefits and access rights, just no free access to royal mint experience or discounts (though can’t expect them being too much).  

Having a bit of a break from Sovereigns, so dug out something from my numismatic days!
Its the 1st coinage of George V (1911-1920) and last of the sterling silver before the .500 debasement. My favourite is the 1916 Half-Crown. Well, I’ve got to look at something whilst I’m waiting for my sovereign to come - and so is Christmas so they say.🥱🥱

370DF542-29E4-4D8B-89CC-AF6746EDAD66.jpeg

1 minute ago, Britannia47 said:

Having a bit of a break from Sovereigns, so dug out something from my numismatic days!
Its the 1st coinage of George V (1911-1920) and last of the sterling silver before the .500 debasement. My favourite is the 1916 Half-Crown. Well, I’ve got to look at something whilst I’m waiting for my sovereign to come - and so is Christmas so they say.🥱🥱

It's a nice design on the half crown, I quite like the Britannia from the penny too

Apologies for my last photo (GV 1911-1920) - I have shown it before!  Rather then try and delete, I will use another set from the 4th coinage  (1927-1936) this time with the .500 Silver. There are differences for most of the coins. Spot the differences if you can!  Obviously slight colour change, but not as bad as 1947 onwards. Will check my uploads next time…..🙀

C597D166-05A3-4F59-AA93-8DBBACA86F5F.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Apologies for my last photo (GV 1911-1920) - I have shown it before!  Rather then try and delete, I will use another set from the 4th coinage  (1927-1936) this time with the .500 Silver. There are differences for most of the coins. Spot the differences if you can!  Obviously slight colour change, but not as bad as 1947 onwards. Will check my uploads next time…..🙀

C597D166-05A3-4F59-AA93-8DBBACA86F5F.jpeg

Quick look, they’ve all changed?🤔🫢

• 2 weeks later...