• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I want to show.....

On 24/07/2022 at 10:24, richatthecroft said:

Thank you.

I think the lighting I used to take the photo flatters the 1817 Sovereign somewhat- but it is just lighting, the photographs weren’t filtered or photoshopped- the photos below are perhaps more representative.  
It was designated MS62 by NGC- lovely eye appeal 👍.  I Have recently had the Sovereign re- slabbed as the old slab was scuffed. 
BD388ED6-D041-4677-A19F-4C467C004EBE.thumb.jpeg.f1a57a4b4455520c05416eabd9e0c2ee.jpeg

A6F78AE4-A146-4F76-8F79-A4B5C7F1BF17.jpeg

5BC4A0B3-C55F-4A4B-A1C7-A11509EC7F69.jpeg

EE6F14EA-8DF2-4237-B6D8-0975730084B1.jpeg

8398D142-A21C-40E2-8515-2CB096F152CB.jpeg

F8B647AC-1CEE-4689-B9DF-DA27D38E6B6D.jpeg

My 1817 is not graded, but I'm sure its not as good as yours!   Accused of being a show-off? Of course not!  Mind you, some new members haven't even got 10 to chose from!  My choice from your 10 would be the 1820 Crown. Unlike gold, silver over time can become more attractive. This one has superb toning. The improved version of the St G&D first appeared on the 1818 crown, but not until 1821 on the sovereign, but of course you know all this. I regard the first design as a failed prototype, but within weeks Pistrucci was redesigning that image after much criticism. Replacing the broken spear handle with the sword was a brilliant idea. I remember having discussions with Michael Marsh and others through Coin News mainly about this issue way back in 1998, but that's another story......I am not envious by the way! 🤢🤢🤢

Jubilee Head Coinage (1887-1892/93  Failure to please?

'Grandma' Victoria was 68 years old when the Jubilee image finally replaced the 'Young-head' of an 18year old girl.  Joseph Edgar Boehm, an Austrian engraver, was given the task. Queen Victoria's favourite small diamond crown sat on top of her widows cap with veil attached. It was lightweight and only 4 inches in diameter, and far more practical than the heavier regnal crown. However, bombarded by criticism that the small crown looked a bit silly, she seemed to change her mind, and the Obverse  was duly replaced in 1893 by Thomas Brocks 'Old Head'. So the Jubilee coinage only lasted a very short time (6/7yrs). Again a veil was incorporated into the 'Old Head' and thus mourning carried on for 40 years!

Although Prince Albert and Queen Victoria were both born in 1819 she was 3 months older, making Albert her 'Toy boy' !  He died in 1861, age 42, but not before he had enhanced his reputation as being the 'Stud of Osborne House' getting Vicky 'preggers' 9 times! Back to the 'Jubilee head' - The small diamond crown now resides on show with the Crown Jewels at the Tower of London.....

IMG_E3330 (1).JPG

Edited by Britannia47

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2022 at 16:03, Britannia47 said:

Jubilee Head Coinage (1887-1892/93  Failure to please?

'Grandma' Victoria was 68 years old when the Jubilee image finally replaced the 'Young-head' of an 18year old girl.  Joseph Edgar Boehm, an Austrian engraver, was given the task. Queen Victoria's favourite small diamond crown sat on top of her widows cap with veil attached. It was lightweight and only 4 inches in diameter, and far more practical than the heavier regnal crown. However, bombarded by criticism that the small crown looked a bit silly, she seemed to change her mind, and the Obverse  was duly replaced in 1893 by Thomas Brocks 'Old Head'. So the Jubilee coinage only lasted a very short time (6/7yrs). Again a veil was incorporated into the 'Old Head' and thus mourning carried on for 40 years!

Although Prince Albert and Queen Victoria were both born in 1819 she was 3 months older, making Albert her 'Toy boy' !  He died in 1861, age 42, but not before he had enhanced his reputation as being the 'Stud of Osborne House' getting Vicky 'preggers' 9 times! Back to the 'Jubilee head' - The small diamond crown now resides on show with the Crown Jewels at the Tower of London.....

IMG_E3330 (1).JPG

Nice collection! That’s for info. :) 

18 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Nearly all the basic Sovereign Portrait/Obverses!  Missing are :- 1855/56  'Australia' by James Wyon, and 2016 Butler, I think that's all.

NB:  1st Row: 1817, 1824, 1829, 1832, 1871 (Shield),1883(G&D)

2nd Row: 1870 ('Australia'),1887, 1901, 1908, 1911C, 1931SA-'Small-head'

3rd Row: 1958, 1979, 1997(Proof), 1989(Proof), 2002, 2017.

IMG_3396 (3).JPG

Fantastic collection! Well done 👍

Today I want to show... My newly graded coins! They are expected to arrive tomorrow, so they'll be going on "Today I Received..." then, but I am so excited for these that I can't help myself. Below is a video by @GoldDiggerDave, who was the one to send my coins to NGC in the first place (more comments and feedback on the service later) :) I hope you enjoy! I recommend you subscribe to Dave and check out his own dealer page for his services!

*mods, if I can't post a video or promote a user's service & channel in this section of the forum, please remove my comment :) *

Edited by stackerp5

Always shipping with re-used or biodegradable packaging.

Looking to sell some items to fund a holiday. I've got some items for sale. PM me or check my profile if interested: Hitler's 3rd Reich 2 Reichsmark Coins, Roman Imperial Denarii and Other silver coins/items.

On 17/08/2022 at 12:26, Britannia47 said:

Nearly all the basic Sovereign Portrait/Obverses!  Missing are :- 1855/56  'Australia' by James Wyon, and 2016 Butler, I think that's all.

NB:  1st Row: 1817, 1824, 1829, 1832, 1871 (Shield),1883(G&D)

2nd Row: 1870 ('Australia'),1887, 1901, 1908, 1911C, 1931SA-'Small-head'

3rd Row: 1958, 1979, 1997(Proof), 1989(Proof), 2002, 2017.

IMG_3396 (3).JPG

Wonderful collection! There is another one you are missing -- the 1937 George VI proof.

Of course there was also a 1937 Edward VIII, but no "normal" human being can aspire to own that extremely rare coin that never made circulation :)

Picked these 2 up the up the other day, though have been mis-listed when sold at auction seems… hmmm… will have to go back? 😢 … that’s meant to be a 5oz 3 graces in picture. 🧐 … both rated as PR69s.

D0E68CD2-203B-4395-BC0F-43FBD2847249.jpeg

Edited by Silverman2U

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Britannia47 said:

This time it's 3 Proof 1oz Britannia's on the Bank of England's 1st £50 note (1981) All 3 seem to have a different shade of 'gold' - 1987, 1997, and 2007. I realise that this is not up for discussion, but clearly the R.M. were experimenting with the alloy of these 22ct coins between that period, which included the addition of silver. However the 1987 uses red gold (all copper) Thankfully, the Brits went to 9999 later. It's a pity the RM didn't use the alloy from the 1997 or the 2007 for the Sovereign!  NB The reverse of the Note shows Sir Christopher Wren & St Pauls Cathedral by the way

Thanks for sharing 

Now seems an appropriate time to show the Queens portrait on Bank notes from earlier times. The Bank of England £1 note was the first time the Queens portrait appeared on a note in 1960. Most of the Commonwealth countries and Overseas territories also used differing portraits. My all time favourite is the $1 East Caribbean from 1965 showing the Queen in her late 30s - a superb rendition IMO.  And lastly the Gibraltar £1 note. Of course marketing firms use Gibraltar for their pseudo sovereigns!

IMG_3523 (2).JPG

On 10/09/2022 at 09:26, Britannia47 said:

Now seems an appropriate time to show the Queens portrait on Bank notes from earlier times. The Bank of England £1 note was the first time the Queens portrait appeared on a note in 1960. Most of the Commonwealth countries and Overseas territories also used differing portraits. My all time favourite is the $1 East Caribbean from 1965 showing the Queen in her late 30s - a superb rendition IMO.  And lastly the Gibraltar £1 note. Of course marketing firms use Gibraltar for their pseudo sovereigns!

IMG_3523 (2).JPG

Nice collection of Bank of England notes. I picked up a stack of 50+ Of those Green £1 notes at an auction for a future punt. :) … cost me a lot less than current value due to inflation! I think I paid less than £100… but let’s think what you could buy with £50 in 1960’s. ;) 

3 minutes ago, SemolinaPilchard said:

Hi Peeps

Not coin or bullion but thought you may be interested in this

I like to tinker on my cnc when I'm not taking piccies for @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer

I made this over the weekend.

It's 14mm MDF (painted dark navy) set on an oak plinth with an acrylic plate for the cypher.

How it came about - we're striving to get the rotations correct / consistent on the images of coins we take and one way to do this was to draw a silhouette around the monarchs portrait that we can then line up and rotate the image to fit.

So...I started doodling with them late last week and came up with the 1st portrait embedded within the 4th portrait.  It looked quite nice for a mock-up coin that @LawrenceChard liked.  So over the weekend I thought I'd cut it out and see how it turned out.  On these white background shots it's not too apparent that the 1st portrait is actually a cut-out.  

Anyway - I decided to donate this to Amazing Graze - a local soup kitchen who do some great work - they're thrilled and are currently auctioning it off.

Just thought some of you may be interested to see it

Here is the link to their facebook post.

https://www.facebook.com/1492099557734789/posts/3324152917862768

qeiicommemmorationplaque1.jpg

qeiicommemmorationplaque2.jpg

"On these white background shots it's not too apparent that the 1st portrait is actually a cut-out.  "

What?

There's a bit missing?

😎

Chards