• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

3 minutes ago, HerefordBullyun said:

you havent been following the strength of the dollar have you? theres your answer!

Do you want a friendly bet of 1oz silver for £1500/oz gold by 1st of July?😁

30 minutes ago, stefffana said:

No but i maybe tempted by 1600 by year end...... i will let you know when the spot price in september

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

8 hours ago, Minimalist said:

Willing to bet on price: £1,455.99 no higher by 12:00/Noon tomorrow (18/5/2022).

Prize: 1oz Silver

£1443.16 I bet. ;) 
Its not looking good is it?

Still keeping my GDXJ position as it is.
$32.41 is not bad & mining stocks should have a mini rally this week. 

Edited by Stacktastic

8 hours ago, Minimalist said:

Willing to bet on price: £1,455.99 no higher by 12:00/Noon tomorrow (18/5/2022).

Prize: 1oz Silver

Hi, at this moment is £1460.12.😊 Should I give you the delivery address for my 1oz silver?

Cheers.

Edited by stefffana

2 minutes ago, GoldDabbler said:

Mental health is more important than worrying about 50p on a bag of spuds. Screw the economy, I'm buying a sov! :D 

Fully agree - but I could only afford this wee little quarter sov! (3.5% over spot) 😅

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 5.53.01 pm.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Just now, jultorsk said:

Fully agree - but I could only afford this wee little quarter sov! (3.5% over spot) 😅

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 5.53.01 pm.png

Gold is gold. :) I'd like to get into the half n quarter sovs but my local retailer doesn't stock them and I hate mail order delivery for anything. The gold fever is high this morning :D I'll feel satiated when I pop into Costco and grab a coin later :D 

4 hours ago, Zhorro said:

Over the past year UK inflation has been reported as 9% and the Sterling price of gold has increased 11.5%, so gold looks to be performing as a hedge against inflation - if you believe the official inflation figure.

thats the point i dont and its the paper markets trying to suppress the real prices

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

There are well linked relationships between commodity prices and the US dollar   As they are all priced in dollars..

a strong dollar as we have now keeps prices suppressed in dollar terms (I’m not talking about war blowouts but in general)

the pound usually takes a bit of a pasting in most crisis cases. Which is why any investment fund has so much UK wealth invested abroad, especially in the states.  The market condition that see US stock markets tank. Usually lead to Sterling taking a dip.  We are as a nation uniquely hedged  

Edited by CANV

22 hours ago, stefffana said:

Good job CS didn't mention gold in this message "This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/", except in the link title of course!

😎

Chards

gold went up prior to inflation and war, at the start of this year.. the smart guys are ahead of the curve.. alas im not one of them.  

the white metals will fall on recession fears.  all so very industrial. 

Edited by CANV

33 minutes ago, CANV said:

the white metals will fall on recession fears.  all so very industrial. 

Fabulous. Have a lot of physical silver in the £20's (spot) but get it down to £14 again thats a fire sale IMO. :) 
Compared to £1500 gold I dont even see it as a risk anymore compared to storing it in a bank or in stocks. 
£600 platinum would be something to take advantage of if sentiment happens thats possible - madness. 

Edited by Stacktastic

8 hours ago, Ukbullionfan said:

3.5% above spot for a quarter ? Where did you buy that from ?? 

Just a random one-off. For some reason special reverses don't seem too popular here (maybe because they don't look like "real" sovereigns) so on a rare occasion can get lucky. 🤷‍♂️

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

On 4th May 2022, when the US Fed raised its interest rate to 1.0%, my thoughts were:

While it was not a big rise, it showed a shift in thinking.

When US rates go up, the dollar usually strengthens and gold weakens.

The rate rises were stated to be to help protect against inflation, which most of us expected to be over 10%, especially in view of huge increases in energy costs, and disruptions to food production such as Ukrainian grain, not to mention transport diffculties. Also wars tend to be inflationary.

This is my thinking as well. Just recently Jerome Powell reiterated they will keep raising rates as long as they see inflation coming down "in a clear and convincing way” and "getting closer to the 2% target previously established". I'm assuming other developed countries' central banks have no option but to follow FED more or less in lockstep.

As the FED started the hikes so far behind the curve, this may take 1-2 years to play out in full - especially as at the same time military experts do not expect a quick resolution to the war, and consequently energy and food prices continue to rise. The fuel prices will rise as long as there's economic activity - and when they stop rising it will be due to a crippling recession. Because diesel prices touch everything in the value chain, the price of the supermarket tomato keeps jogging up (growing and transporting one tomato to supermarket shelf consumes an equivalent of 6 tablespoons of diesel). Food & energy inflation tends to be sticky, as everyone needs to heat and eat.  Its a nasty situation we're in, gentlemen.

Yet I fully agree - logically gold should go up, and eventually it will. Meanwhile, batten down the hatches.

2 hours ago, jultorsk said:

I'm assuming other developed countries' central banks have no option but to follow FED more or less in lockstep.

Dangerous to assume! The FED is moving away from LIBOR to SOFR. The euro is all but cooked as currency!

I think the combination of 1) rising prices and 2) stagnated economic growth will eventually result is stagflation environment (very similar to the 70s). Stagflation is the best time for gold….better than property, stocks, or even commodities, at least historically. This is because gold has been considered a safe heaven for a very long time and all CB hold a minimum reserve in gold (not oil, wheat or crypto) 
There is a current reduction in liquidity (money is plugged away from stock markets, VC funds etc and pulled into hard assets). 95% of population react in stagflation by cutting spending to pay for food, power, maintain lifestyle, while the wealthier focus on the alternative assets they are comfortable (property, commodities, PM). So people start to get interested in gold, silver  
At the same time, the Money masters are benefitting from gold price volatility and are shorting the paper gold to make some money, but some big whales (some sovereign nations are hoovering the physical gold to counteract the US). Then you add the interest rates and FED. So Gold price in my view is not a one sided equation and they have different forces that affect it. My bet is that physical always beats paper :) especially in stagflation, so hold tight and enjoy the ride.