• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Monitoring Thread £ GBP only

Paul
Message added by ChrisSilver

This topic is to discuss price action in GBP, to discuss price action in $ USD, please see this topic: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19962-gold-monitoring-thread-usd-only/

📌 For general non PM chat there is the Hangout topic here: 

7 hours ago, FlorinCollector said:

@James32 What happened today. Somebody launch the nukes? 😂😂

The US CPI inflation figures just came out higher than expected so people are rushing into safe havens like the dollar, metals and other commodities. It's just panic buying/selling.  Why no one saw high inflation figures coming is amazing but if you follow the MSN mainstream media type news they keep telling everyone everything is ok when it most certainly not.

Edited by EdwardTeach

9 minutes ago, EdwardTeach said:

The US CPI inflation figures just came out higher than expected so people are rushing into safe havens like the dollar, metals and other commodities. It's just panic buying/selling.  Why no one saw high inflation figures coming is amazing but if you follow the MSM mainstream media type news they keep telling everyone everything is ok when it most certainly not.

Thanks for that I found a vid there talking about it. Saying all analysts had predicted lower. As usual they were all wrong.

13 hours ago, EdwardTeach said:

...but if you follow the MSN mainstream media type news they keep telling everyone everything is ok when it most certainly not.

It'll all be over by Christmas, just like WWI.

Edited by SidS

Big gold price jump in the last hour or so!

148514892_goldpricejump.thumb.jpg.b7e5c47acc7e9b1aad50ec0b854f8e2b.jpg

I only noticed this a few minutes ago, and have not been able to see any particular reasons, explanations, or opinions, but this is a big, sharp, spike.

Up from around £1470 and £1480 per ounce yesterday, it is currently about £1520, showing a £40 to £50 rise in a very short time.

I have not yet looked at dollar pricing, but silver has also spiked today.

Edit:

It looks like some of the movement may be due to a fall in sterling against the US dollar.

The rate had fallen from around $1.25 to about $1.23

Assuming gold at $1875, the 2 cent drop would make a difference of about £25 per ounce.

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

Big gold price jump in the last hour or so!

148514892_goldpricejump.thumb.jpg.b7e5c47acc7e9b1aad50ec0b854f8e2b.jpg

I only noticed this a few minutes ago, and have not been able to see any particular reasons, explanations, or opinions, but this is a big, sharp, spike.

Up from around £1470 and £1480 per ounce yesterday, it is currently about £1520, showing a £40 to £50 rise in a very short time.

I have not yet looked at dollar pricing, but silver has also spiked today.

Edit:

It looks like some of the movement may be due to a fall in sterling against the US dollar.

The rate had fallen from around $1.25 to about $1.23

Assuming gold at $1875, the 2 cent drop would make a difference of about £25 per ounce.

The US released their inflation figure yesterday, and CPI had risen to 8.6% - the "experts" had expected it to have already peaked!  So, this could have stimulated demand for gold, but I don't know why the Pound would have weakened.

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/us-consumer-prices-reaccelerate-may-highest-1981

2 hours ago, Zhorro said:

...but I don't know why the Pound would have weakened.

People are panicking and taking money out of risky investments like the stock market or crypto and moving it into safe havens like commodities or metals. Many of the people who want to keep their money in a fiat currency see the US Dollar as being slightly safer and more stable than other fiat currencies like the Pound or Euro hence the dollar looks like it's rising relative to these.

(The reality is all fiat currencies are rapidly losing their real world purchasing power and falling in value. The Dollar is just falling slight slower than the Pound or Euro so in relative terms to these it looks like it is going up.)

Edited by EdwardTeach

7 hours ago, CANV said:

if you want to buy gold you have to effectively buy dollars.   I miss the olden days when the pound and sovereign were king 

The sovereign is still king really, it's still gold. The pound has about as much intrinsic value as a weekly grocery shopping receipt - only the numbers after the pound signs are generally smaller and worth much less.

Edited by SidS

6 minutes ago, dicker said:

I don’t want to derail this thread but another asset is down this weekend.  There is to an extent an inverse correlation….

Do tell us some details?😁

Edited by stefffana

7 minutes ago, dicker said:

I don’t want to derail this thread but another asset is down this weekend.  There is to an extent an inverse correlation….

Really solid correlation. Btc raised what from £3k to £50k and gold did what a gain of a couple £100 🤣

1 hour ago, FlorinCollector said:

Really solid correlation. Btc raised what from £3k to £50k and gold did what a gain of a couple £100 🤣

Depends if one sold a large portion of one's gold stack and bought in at £45k or not. 

8 hours ago, dicker said:

Yes, your prediction was right.

£1526.14/oz at the moment.😁

Been waiting for this. Knee jerk / news related algo reaction from hedge funds & retirement funds (probably). :) 
Combined with yet another sell off on the stock market. See what happens Wed/Thurs when the FOMC comes out. 
Hoping for a c**p-storm as it needs to correct, but also great buying opportunity. 

Edited by Stacktastic

20 hours ago, Stacktastic said:

Been waiting for this. Knee jerk / news related algo reaction from hedge funds & retirement funds (probably). :) 
Combined with yet another sell off on the stock market. See what happens Wed/Thurs when the FOMC comes out. 
Hoping for a c**p-storm as it needs to correct, but also great buying opportunity. 

pension funds will not have much exposure to crypto .  well the more aggressive ones might have some.. their version of 'tech' is Microsoft.....

the buying opportunities will be in stocks not PM's    but there is a way yo go yet.  the real deal is if you can sell your PM's and buy growth stocks at the right time ..

no one can but id guess that moment is 6 months away ...?