• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How many ounces is a good stack?

• Founder & Administrator

Moved to a new topic to avoid the topic you posted in going off topic. 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Welcome to the forum.

This question has been asked a number of times. Some considers 100 ounces to be a good amount for newbies. Others say 500 ounces or even 1,000 ounces. But I'm pretty sure there are members on the forum with much bigger stack and enough to sink a boat !  (You'll get the joke if you stick around long enough).

I'd say it is whatever you're comfortable with and your budget allows.

Rather than starting a new thread, perhaps you could join in the conversation on an existing thread below.

I think 1 oz is a good stack to start with. 

Then build up to as much as you feel comfortable and build a stack that provides in the need to start stacking in the first place. 

Yes, my answer doesn't really answer anything, and at the same time gives you plenty of answers. If you can get your question a bit more specific then the answers might be more detailed also ;)

Edited by Jvw

As much as you can afford and as much as you can afford to lose. In the US it seems, to me anyway, that silver is the bigger market, you can even get silver in your change unlike the rest of the world.

Try to have a good relationship with your local coin shops, even if you can only have enough money for a few oz's a month, they will take care of you.

AFAIK US stackers have much more than those in the UK and Europe. Here 500 oz's is a lot, but as everything is bigger in Texas so 501 oz's!

Don't forget storage, where you going to put it all? Hiding 1oz of gold is easier then hiding 60oz's of silver.

If you wish, set out a weekly, monthly or yearly goal.

And keep away from ASE's

I’m new to stacking myself but in answer to your question I’d say don’t go crazy. It’s all so easy to get wrapped up in growing your stack that other areas of your finances may suffer. Buy what you can comfortably afford without draining the bank balance or skimping elsewhere and over time your stack with grow easily. I think @Gordy has a great byline. Something like “It doesn’t matter how slow you go, as long as you don’t stop” Great advice, go slow, and don’t stop. 

I've just realised I haven't answered your question at all. I don't know :D Silver is big, bulky and heavy. How about getting into gold instead? :D 

Edited by GoldDabbler

7 hours ago, Topgun said:

Off subject. I am new to this forum. What is considered a good stack in silver. Number of ounces. Thanks

Hi.

It depends on a lot of things...

Some people like to go as a % of overall portfolio, some people want to have a certain £ amount to cover say 3 months living expenses.

For some it's just money stored in silver that would otherwise have been 'lost' gambling, drinking etc 

Your reasoning for silver in the first place should help you decide. 

Whatever total you decide is right for you I'd suggest to average in your position and not buy it all at once.

For example you think silver will remain stable and want £12k worth of silver stored to cover an unexpected night out, it would be wise to buy in a few different batches say 2k at a time spread over the next year (your choice, the takeaway being you will not risk buying in on one transaction that could be the highest price of the year) you might buy some at £17 per oz some at £18 an oz then some at £16.50 an oz and then some at £22.

Another viewpoint.

Almost all of my income goes on family budget and I only have £100 per month going into my metals account. Usually I try and do something else with the money before I turn it into silver but that is more of a hobby for me. I like to keep a minimum of 300 Oz but have been over and under. My only tip is only purchase something with the view of "how am I going to sell this?" Otherwise you will end up paying over the odds only to sell for scrap. 

A good stack is what you can comfortably afford. Don't put more money into PM's than is beyond your means - that is how a lot of people get burned when they re-sell at a loss 3-6 months down the line. Just remember that investing in PM's in part of your overall portfolio.

The inferior man argues about his rights, while the superior man imposes duties upon himself.

He who has a why can bear almost any how.

Every act of beauty is a revolt against the modern world.

1 hour ago, Bigmarc said:

My only tip is only purchase something with the view of "how am I going to sell this?" Otherwise you will end up paying over the odds only to sell for scrap. 

That's the reason I've not got into proof coins and other collectables. I'm sure I can offload bullion as and when but waiting for and finding the right buyer to sell on a collectors piece seems like a gamble, esp if you want to liquidate fast. 

10 hours ago, Topgun said:

Off subject. I am new to this forum. What is considered a good stack in silver. Number of ounces. Thanks

Ask it to 10 people and you'll get 10 different results.

One thing worth keeping in consideration is storage, where is this going to be hidden? A couple of Sovereign are the equivalent of 25oz of Silver.

Edited by LemmyMcGregor

5 minutes ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

Ask it to 10 people and you'll get 10 different results.

One thing worth keeping in consideration is storage, where is this going to be hidden? A couple of Sovereign are the equivalent of 25oz of Silver.

image.png.09e392aaf0516c3265c8310e8587d1ed.png

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

On topic but off topic if your new to the market stick to the bog standard britanannia / krugerrand for silver. Sovs, krugs and capital gains tax exempt items for gold. Umicore/ pamp/ metalor for bars and avoiding hand poured items as liquidity can be problematic to say the least. 

All it takes is one piece of silver resting atop another piece of silver for it to truly be considered a stack. 

Going off that, the number of ounces it takes to make a good stack is however many you can pile towards the sky without them toppling over.

5 hours ago, MetalMandible said:

All it takes is one piece of silver resting atop another piece of silver for it to truly be considered a stack. 

Going off that, the number of ounces it takes to make a good stack is however many you can pile towards the sky without them toppling over.

image.png.09e392aaf0516c3265c8310e8587d1ed.png

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

May I humbly say that it depends on your circumstances and view of what might happen in the future.

It is a personal choice with some people stacking just a handful and others seriously large amounts.  

I read an article online a few years ago about a chap who passed away and his children did a house clearance to find the basement stacked floor to ceiling with ammo boxes full of Morgan dollars!

I can’t find that article but did find a few similar on Google where deceased people have left millions in safes!

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

12 minutes ago, dicker said:

May I humbly say that it depends on your circumstances and view of what might happen in the future.

It is a personal choice with some people stacking just a handful and others seriously large amounts.  

I read an article online a few years ago about a chap who passed away and his children did a house clearance to find the basement stacked floor to ceiling with ammo boxes full of Morgan dollars!

I can’t find that article but did find a few similar on Google where deceased people have left millions in safes!

Best

Dicker

This may or may not have been the story but similar 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204785/amp/Reclusive-man-Walter-Samasko-died-7million-coins-Nevada-home.html

14 minutes ago, dicker said:

Wow - it was not this one.  Was definitely Morgan’s in ammo cases!

This story just goes to highlight that there are some significant stackers in the US! 

Thanks for the great story @Paul

There's the saddle ridge story to with the mint state twenty dollar gold pieces found in paint cans to