• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How many ounces is a good stack?

Topgun is in Texas, so Mexican libertads, American silver eagles, and Canadian maples will probably be the best starting point.  They should all be easy to sell in a hurry, if money is needed elsewhere.

How many ounces is a good stack?  Ask yourself 12 months from now, it will probably be larger than you currently think 🙂 

Another angle to look at regarding silver is quality versus quantity.  I 'only' have about 110 oz of physical silver bullion, but every single item of silver bullion that I own gives me a lot of pleasure.  So for me, the stack is more of a collection, even though every item is bullion.  I hope that I don't need to sell any of it, but if I do, it's not going to change my life either way.

I do have a decent chunk of money invested in a silver ETF though, which is a paper stack.  I know some people have different opinions regarding ETFs, but for me, this is how I will time my silver purchases and sales.  It's just an asset to be turned into cash when the price is high.

Of course, as has already been said, this is very subjective and will be different for everyone. Availability, affordability, aesthetics and storage (or something else that begins with 'a') are all important factors.

As a new stacker myself, I also appreciate that part of the journey, especially early on, is joining in the conversation and wetting your toes in terms of community involvement. So I welcome this type of discourse as it all helps to fuel the passion for PMs that we all share.

For me personally, my intention was to gradually build up a stack of 100oz silver over the course of 2022 alongside a 'sovereign a month' commitment. This would be the bedrock of a stacking strategy to help me protect 'wealth' (physical assets as an alternative to FIAT) over the neext couple of decades, which would supplement a pension or ultimately be handed down.

In reality, I achieved my 100oz ambition within 30 days of starting. This was as a result of having an initial budget to play with and liquidating other assets in order to convert into metal (collectable trading cards and sci-fi collectables for what it's worth).  I've also back-dated my sovereign a month intentions to the beginning of 2022, meaning I should have 12 by the end of the year.

My initial stacking spree is now over and future stacking will be at a much more even pace. But this has definitely worked for me. Having a physical stack gives me a modicum of comfort long since overdue when it comes to my own financial planning. And I also subscribe to one other aspect that's been described by others. Not being immune to bouts of 'excess' or waste, there's a lot to be said for precious metals being your hobby of choice. Buyer's remorse is lessened significantly when the thing you've bought is 'money'. And when you're in it for the medium / long term (which to me is implied by usage of the word 'stacking'), then it's easier to ride out volatility in the spot-price etc. on the basis that I'm not looking to offload my stack for a quick profit.

All this said, and in further recognition of the personalised aspect of anyone's stack, I would offer these words of advice.

Have a budget and stick to it.
Buy what you like.
Understand your motivations for stacking and purchase accordingly.
Keep asking questions.

Good luck.

FNF.

Looking for the following 1oz Silver Elephants to complete date run.  Somalia (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2014)   Zambia (1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003)

On 15/05/2022 at 20:16, Arcadian said:

Topgun is in Texas, so Mexican libertads, American silver eagles, and Canadian maples will probably be the best starting point.  They should all be easy to sell in a hurry, if money is needed elsewhere.

How many ounces is a good stack?  Ask yourself 12 months from now, it will probably be larger than you currently think 🙂 

From what I can tell the cheapest in the US is either 'junk', rounds or Brits. The Silver Eagles have a very high premium

On 16/05/2022 at 20:42, Stuntman said:

Another angle to look at regarding silver is quality versus quantity. 

I do have a decent chunk of money invested in a silver ETF though, which is a paper stack.  

Good point - personally I like the Tudor Beast proofs, Scottsdale's & the mexican libertads for quality

As well as implications of CGT if it went to £200  next week & you wanted to sell you will be taxed lots of money. 

Sets are also a consideration to sell in one go. I like the queens beasts in the wooden box. 
These are perfect for someone starting - I bought a 10oz set when I started. 

And lastly coins of bars (or both). I prefer KG bars now as you get a lot of silver in a small area & its easy to stack and store. 

Bought my first load of paper silver - OK for trading but not long term as it adds to the problem, but super liquid. 
Miners are preferable in an ETF or royalty. 

Edited by Stacktastic

What ever you can afford to lose. I've gone for a core of RM bullion because it's capital gains tax free but also some interesting bars and coins from around the world that I like personally, a few proof coins but I'm not convinced they are worth the premium. 

I have gone for some historical coins as well from around the world from small roman silver coins to victorian crowns. To hold these coins feeds the imagination as to who held/earned them ,what they have bought, where they have been.

I think my favorite pieces though are my silver art cast pieces that are displayed on around my house. They are quite unassuming until you pick them up, feel the weight and really look at them.

Your stack can and should be more than just a hedge against inflation and once you have a comfy amount I would recommend making it a bit more personal. 

Historically an  ounce of silver was the value of 10 days labour I think and more recently in Venezuela an ounce of silver could feed a family for a month.

A bit of gold and platinum is a good idea as well as it weighs less and takes up less room.

Personally I have put about half my savings into PM'S as an insurance against quantative easing and inflation of the Fiat system. 

A good question!

First, a little background...After stacking for around  a year now, my strategy has shifted - thought I'd be Silver all the way (Britannias) as it was meant to be a 'savings account' for me - one that wouldn't be easy to dip in to for spur-of-the-moment purchases, but able to be sold if the need for the money was pressing...

But ... I've been slowly converting it to some small gold coins, as it's easier to store (as many have mentioned here) - so, my ideal stack of Silver  has now become 'just enough to trade / sell' for some gold 🙂

(Full disclosure - I'm determined to fill the Tube of Britannias I have (20 currently) so you'll have to watch out for the urge to complete a full tube too 😏 😂 )

Hope that's helped you decide what 'Your' best stack size is, and whatever that may be - Enjoy it! 😁

Bob

On 22/05/2022 at 11:47, Nowhereman said:

What ever you can afford to lose. I've gone for a core of RM bullion because it's capital gains tax free but also some interesting bars and coins from around the world that I like personally, a few proof coins but I'm not convinced they are worth the premium. 

I have gone for some historical coins as well from around the world from small roman silver coins to victorian crowns. To hold these coins feeds the imagination as to who held/earned them ,what they have bought, where they have been.

I think my favorite pieces though are my silver art cast pieces that are displayed on around my house. They are quite unassuming until you pick them up, feel the weight and really look at them.

Your stack can and should be more than just a hedge against inflation and once you have a comfy amount I would recommend making it a bit more personal. 

Historically an  ounce of silver was the value of 10 days labour I think and more recently in Venezuela an ounce of silver could feed a family for a month.

A bit of gold and platinum is a good idea as well as it weighs less and takes up less room.

Personally I have put about half my savings into PM'S as an insurance against quantative easing and inflation of the Fiat system. 

Oh! you just mention a topic that I love and I want to keep learning; the "value" of historical coins back then. I recently started my historical coin collection, I'm collecting coins from each king/queen in the united kingdom, I have George V, George VI, Victoria, (I believe I won't make it for Edward VIII) and I don't know how far I will be able to get.

I've been researching about the value of the different coins, how much a worker would get a month in 1890, how much was the price of food, what could you buy with a crown... for example. it is what you said, not just silver, it feeds the imagination as to who earn them and what was bought with it.

I would love to know if there are books about it or where I can get reliable information.