• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Royal Mint Annual Sets

Was expecting this to kick off at 9am after all the emails telling me about all the work they’d be doing on the website this morning and unavailable until 9am I think it said???

I refreshed / tried to take a peek at the website at 8.09am and ended up about 2,090 in a queue I wasn’t expecting, so I’m guessing it kicked off at 8am when they said the website would be down???

Not bitter! 🍺  😂 

I felt the 2oz gold mintage was a bit high after The Who 2oz gold mintage. 🤷‍♂️ 

There we’re options to buy but decided to stay out of this one. I’m still waiting on several orders to be delivered and have no idea when this lot will get posted out???

Edited by MancunianStacker
Swore, sorry

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

6 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

So, from what I can tell here is a rough guide at performance of each coin on release.

2 oz silver proof - sold out in less than 1 hour

5 oz silver proof - sold out in less than 45 mins

10 oz silver proof - sold out in less than 15 mins

1/4 oz gold proof - Sold out in 1 hour 20

2 oz gold - sold out in less than 1 hour

5 oz Gold proof - 13 out of 120 in stock

1 oz Platinum proof - sold out instantly

The £5 coins

£5 silver proof - 1287 available out of 5000

£5 silver proof Piedfort - 510 available of 1952

£5 gold proof - sold out in about 25 mins

That is a ton of total mintage. Passed on it all this time. Should be plenty of regret buys for much cheaper coming up in the ensuing months.

1 minute ago, Oldun said:

That is a ton of total mintage. Passed on it all this time. Should be plenty of regret buys for much cheaper coming up in the ensuing months.

I’m counting on some flippers 🐬 getting burnt 🥵 and some bargains appearing on the old fleabay 👌 

How many 5oz gold 😳 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

1 hour ago, MancunianStacker said:

I’m counting on some flippers 🐬 getting burnt 🥵 and some bargains appearing on the old fleabay 👌 

How many 5oz gold 😳 

Everyones a flipper in one way or another so you stand a good chance:)

Also there is a "Rolex" style buying now happening with people spending up on all new releases to move up the mint marque membership levels - no doubt with the hope of being offered a great engravers rare coins or some other desirable hard to obtain coins. These purchases may well be let go below retail.

I bought the 2 oz silver. 1000 mintage vs 3750 for the gothic, and £180 vs the gothic £260 price. 

I think the design is awesome and horseback queen portrait is a novelty that will help its value down the line. 

Edited by watchesandwhisky

5 minutes ago, watchesandwhisky said:

Everyones a flipper in one way or another so you stand a good chance:)

Also there is a "Rolex" style buying now happening with people spending up on all new releases to move up the mint marque membership levels - no doubt with the hope of being offered a great engravers rare coins or some other desirable hard to obtain coins. These purchases may well be let go below retail.

I bought the 2 oz silver. 1000 mintage vs 3750 for the gothic, and £180 vs the gothic £260 price. 

I think the design is awesome and horseback queen portrait is a novelty that will help its value down the line. 

I also bought a 2oz silver. Although I was determined not to! I got caught up in the hype again.

Not sure it's a fair comparison between this and the gothic.

Some people will be happy to have any version of this coin. There are seemingly an unlimited amount of bunc available.

If you want to the silver there is the 1oz ish version of a similar diameter of which there is 5k. Don't forget the nearly 2k pidefort silvers.

There are lots of options to own this coin, which isn't the case for the gothic crown.

Just now, NewCoins said:

I also bought a 2oz silver. Although I was determined not to! I got caught up in the hype again.

Not sure it's a fair comparison between this and the gothic.

Some people will be happy to have any version of this coin. There are seemingly an unlimited amount of bunc available.

If you want to the silver there is the 1oz ish version of a similar diameter of which there is 5k. Don't forget the nearly 2k pidefort silvers.

There are lots of options to own this coin, which isn't the case for the gothic crown.

No to be fair its not a fair comparison. I just found the mints mintage/price point interesting compared to it. 

I didnt even plan to buy anything but its my day off and i just so happened to check the mint this morning 😂

Manage to catch up with the thread after early morning purchase.

Seems like it has been a surprisingly positive release after so many different coins for sale.

My question is, Is this normally the case at the start of the year to have a big release? Also these coins are to celebrate the platinum jubilee, are we expecting to be more coins through out the year to celebrate the platinum jubilee?

Assuming so, guessing there is no schedule for the year?

If that is the case, I think I need to start to prepare a list of excuses for why we cannot do any big home improvements this year as was planned in 2021.  

7 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Just because they sold out doesn’t make them winners.

A couple hundred folk also bought out the overpriced Sovereign and Half-Sovereign sets.

They’ll all be stuck with them and eventually have to sell them at Bullion prices.

Several months back I stumbled on a similar Sovereign set for the Queen’s 90th Birthday and got the set in pristine condition at bullion rates.

Which Sov sets were those please?

7 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

I wonder why they seemingly rushed these releases. They could have spaced them out through January, perhaps a different release each week. What's up with their desire to release everything so quickly?

So they could sell them all in a mad fever rush of confusion and FOMO! I think many of these releases by themselves would have underwhelmed and not been that popular (rightly or wrongly) imvho.

6 hours ago, SilverJacks said:

Could they be overdoing it?

I think they have. I have my old coin collection here in a tin, passed down by various family members. It's got quite a few 1977 Jubilee coins in it that I could never have got decent money for (although maybe now's the time!), I see some of these going the same way...

Did anyone else get the two coin Gold set? It was £2,250 with a mintage of 70. I went in when it was discussed because I just couldn’t pass - especially as I wasn’t in a position to buy the gold proof annual set.

I also bought the two coin silver set and the 1/4oz gold.

Very pleased I reached out to the Mint today rather than waiting in the queue. Sometimes the old school speaking on the phone is the best way forward. I was still around 2800 by the time my phone call ended.

43 minutes ago, SilverPlatinum said:

What is the difference between "No Longer Available" and "Sold Out"?

I'd say 'no longer available' is closer to 'might come back in stock at very low quantities at some point' (in some cases when all the returns come back) than 'sold out'.

But we have seen both come back in at some points in some recent releases so I agree with @SilverJacks - also this could be subject to change at any time.

It's not 'ideal' :(

<edit> Best thing to do is to get on the waiting list via the phone asap. But be prepared to return (the Mint will refund you for postage) if it's not up to scratch (no pun intended).

Edited by kimchi

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

Thanks I just wanted to make sure you weren't talking about some of the 2022 sets.

What a rip off! :o

Yeah these historic sets are typically highly overpriced. If they contained rare or hard to find coins, I’d have considered paying a premium, but not so for easily available coins like these.

Apologies if this has already been discussed and/or I'm just being a bit thick.

The 1/4oz Gold Proof Jubilee Coin is listed in the "Large Coins" section on RM website. The intro text to me implies that each of these coins has the Royal cypher and flowers reverse. 

However, the 1/4oz photo shows the Royal mantle reverse. 

I still want the coin, but am now a bit annoyed as it means I didn't get a coin with the Royal cypher reverse.

My fault for not being thorough i guess

Edited by caf84

1 hour ago, caf84 said:

Apologies if this has already been discussed and/or I'm just being a bit thick.

The 1/4oz Gold Proof Jubilee Coin is listed in the "Large Coins" section on RM website. The intro text to me implies that each of these coins has the Royal cypher and flowers reverse. 

However, the 1/4oz photo shows the Royal mantle reverse. 

I still want the coin, but am now a bit annoyed as it means I didn't get a coin with the Royal cypher reverse.

My fault for not being thorough i guess

Yeah this was a mistake on the RM's part. It puzzled me why they'd of put it there and I know annoyed a few who were after it but couldn't find it where it should have been. They made several errors like this too with the annual sets released on Tuesday showing wrong photos which misled a number of people who have since cancelled their orders.

Decided to get a nickel date stamped horseback crown from Westminster Collection, otherwise it's living in regret come the four day bank holiday this summer🥳 Is it me or are the RM queues getting bigger and longer - 10106 at 10.16AM yesterday? Even Westminster Collection had two queues yesterday🤔

Edited by Shell
Diction