• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

3 hours ago, Foster88 said:

I can’t belive after the fiasco of the 2022 proof sovereigns arriving with open capsules that it’s still happening. 😕

With the sovereign, they started to put a piece of foam over the capsule in order to keep it in place - have they done that with this latest release?

1 minute ago, Zhorro said:

With the sovereign, they started to put a piece of foam over the capsule in order to keep it in place - have they done that with this latest release?

Nope...must have ran out of camping mattresses 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

7 hours ago, apachebleu said:

I am really disappointed for you but from a community point of view I am glad that this is repeatedly happening to someone with a strong social media presence and an outlet for making this public (hope that comes across in the spirit I intend).

We do need people who can make a stink that the RM cannot easily ignore or fob off like they will with individual complaints. Hopefully your videos and letters can make a difference.

Funny though how they can find pf70's for certain dealers but can't even be arsed doing a basic check for the average punter. I really do believe at this point top coins are being cherry picked out and the leftovers sold to us

I don't think RM employees have the time to cherry pick for anyone.... They just are too tired packing all the coins that the RM are releasing every week, there's only so much they can do.

12 minutes ago, AR03 said:

I don't think RM employees have the time to cherry pick for anyone.... They just are too tired packing all the coins that the RM are releasing every week, there's only so much they can do.

Very true.  And the RM couldn't care less if you send the coins back.  The stress and disappointment are yours not the RM's.  They will either fix and re-sell them or melt them.  And, they know you will be back for more with their next offering.

Seems I may have got lucky with mine. Capsule in place and closed with no damage that I can see to the frosting or polished fields. Think the small specs on the pictures appear to be dust particles. 

I’m so sorry to see all the disappointed people who have once again been let down by the RM quality control. 

E7750CB5-DC4B-4D9A-853D-36F21971A750.thumb.jpeg.97e2ae9050246ff7a89c16b4a14b3c63.jpeg
A56DB3BD-0DE9-41A0-9FF1-D25587D66ABA.thumb.jpeg.9700c3391e27f444cfc6501e9e4b7df7.jpeg

Edited by Ashes

7 minutes ago, Ashes said:

Seems I may have got lucky with mine. Capsule in place and closed with no damage that I can see to the frosting or polished fields. Think the small specs on the pictures appear to be dust particles. 

I’m so sorry to see all the disappointed people who have once again been let down by the RM quality control. 

E7750CB5-DC4B-4D9A-853D-36F21971A750.thumb.jpeg.97e2ae9050246ff7a89c16b4a14b3c63.jpeg
A56DB3BD-0DE9-41A0-9FF1-D25587D66ABA.thumb.jpeg.9700c3391e27f444cfc6501e9e4b7df7.jpeg

Upon further inspection it looks like there is a tiny bit of frosting missing from the crown on the Gothic Portrait side. Not going to bother returning it for that though. 

image.png.f7c9ecd12dffcaa6f6db1651e3635fb1.png

29 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

You all thought my capsule was bad...

Check this out.

Real shame about the capsule. Not good at all.

But, just to continue the speculation; the COA seems to contradict the RM website re Portrait mintage? Says LEP is 3'750 and max 4'006, just as Arms' was. 🤔

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 7.52.23 am.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

But, just to continue the speculation; the COA seems to contradict the RM website re Portrait mintage? Says LEP is 3'750 and max 4'006, just as Arms' was. 🤔

They have made a mistake somewhere!

5 minutes ago, jultorsk said:

You're right about there being an error somewhere. Either on the COA booklet or the website. 250 coin discrepency. Come on Royal Mint.... you'd think they know the mintage of their own coins!

image.thumb.png.51d182c823b60774d4ddcb4556e9b017.png

2 hours ago, AR03 said:

I cannot believe that these coins have not had the better ones picked out!! 

I also rsceived the silver 2oz portrait coin today which like the QA coin appears to have been packed in a talcum powder factory!! The capsule was open on the portrait and I will certainly never buy another silver proof coin frtom RM again. Gold only which shows what quality they are capable of producing. I believe theseto be the remnants after picking for grading or dealers possibly. Never again. 

Why can I buy Perth mint nonproof or Munich mint products such as the Somalian elephants at a fraction of the cost of these proofs with quality far superior?? 

The silver portraits we have seen on here today looks like the trainee dept have been left alone with no supervision! 

Very disappointing, pre selected silver coins I suspect, and not for me! 

Can’t wait to see what these will look like in 175 years…glorious, I can only imagine…perhaps much like the original 1847 release…Portrait inbound. Appreciative of being a part of this historical remake. Enjoy the moments of why we are a close knit coin collecting, numismatic community…

2 hours ago, CadmiumGreen said:

Can’t wait to see what these will look like in 175 years…glorious, I can only imagine…perhaps much like the original 1847 release…Portrait inbound. Appreciative of being a part of this historical remake. Enjoy the moments of why we are a close knit coin collecting, numismatic community…

We need some brave enough to artificially tone one of these silver portraits so we could see one in our lifetime.

8 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

I would hope if people get damaged portraits and the mint can't be arsed replacing them they will at least be offered a refund on the quartered arms if they want it...it is supposed to be a set after all

Exactly this.

For me the Mint has an obligation to make sure every one with the quartered arms has an acceptable portrait.