• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Three graces coin

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

Advice Sought

I received the following as a Private Message:

I have a 2oz Gold Three Graces which I have had some offers for which are tempting (one at about £30k) but torn on what is the sensible option for this - would you grade it and see how the market develops in a few months or look to sell it in the the initial hype?  Both just seem to be a gamble to me 
Any advice would be appreciated 

The TSF member agreed I could post the main part of his question here, as above.

My reply was:

It's difficult to advise between your choices.

As you say, it is a gamble, but it's hard for you to go wrong, with your £5K stake already worth much more, any choice you make will be a winner.

I managed to get one, as you will know, and I would be very happy to sell it:

https://www.chards.co.uk/2020-three-graces-gold-two-ounce-coin/14268

If it sells, then we would be looking to buy more, and if not, then...

Do you mind if I copy your question to a public forum, without identifying you, as I think there would be other TSF members who would be interested in the points you raised.

Any thoughts out there?

Without having sold many coins, and being no expert in any way....

If the idea of selling anything for x amount of money after paying y for it is causing you a bit of anxiety it's probably better to sell and move on.

If x is a large investment for you then y is significant and its better to do get it done.

If x is relatively minor for you , then take it easy see how it goes. But the fact they are looking for advice suggests the former.

Treat it like cashing out a bet. You decided you want the profit and will accept it might go either way.

Just my unqualified 2 pence.

Edited by NewCoins

11 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

Just my unqualified 2 pence.

Funny you should mention 2 pence, I recently read in Coin News magazine, that people were asking crazy prices, of up to £8000 each on ebay and elsewhere for 1971 twopences.

1971 Two New Pence First Decimal Coinage Issue Bronze - Obverse

We have a few sackfuls of them.

There are also other listings from about £1 each, for tatty ones.

Chards

21 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Funny you should mention 2 pence, I recently read in Coin News magazine, that people were asking crazy prices, of up to £8000 each on ebay and elsewhere for 1971 twopences.

1971 Two New Pence First Decimal Coinage Issue Bronze - Obverse

We have a few sackfuls of them.

There are also other listings from about £1 each, for tatty ones.

Really?

Incredible.  

I lusted after the beautiful Victoria Penny photographed below which was sold for around £600 inclusive of BP at a recent auction.  it was far too hot for me at that price.

What’s special about the 50 year old 2p Lawrence? 

8C96A021-7DA6-4940-8934-7273ABCD58E8.jpegCE5FE0FD-D6C1-413B-9C94-A38FCC36F29C.jpeg.fb4721f75fd35f497102c825bb125cfa.jpeg

Edited by richatthecroft

49 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Really?

Incredible.  

I lusted after the beautiful Victoria Penny photographed below which was sold for around £600 inclusive of BP at a recent auction.  it was far too hot for me at that price.

8C96A021-7DA6-4940-8934-7273ABCD58E8.jpeg

Yes that penny looks good, just need the sovereign to go with it.

Nothing, just optimistic idiots hoping someone even stupider might actually buy at that sort of price. The only winner is ebay, who just rake in hundreds of listing fees every day from the "sellers".

Oh, and the mintage was about 1.5 billion pieces!

Edited by LawrenceChard
tense

Chards

4 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Yes that penny looks good, just need the sovereign to go with it.

Nothing, just optimistic idiots hoping someone even stupid might actually buy at that sort of price. The only winner is ebay, who just rake in hundreds of listing fees every day from the "sellers".

Oh, and the mintage was about 1.5 billion pieces!

🙄 

I thought I was missing something- I was just about to go in the loft and rake about for an old shoebox full of copper I have... 😂 

3 hours ago, MancunianStacker said:

Finally had time to take a look at mine. I’m happy! It’s going to grading. I honestly I think it will get a 70. Zoomed in on video camera 4x magnification and it looks “mint”. I’ll grade it myself via NGC London. I have a 2oz Bowie to grade as well and a ton of credit at NGC to spend (I bought the Elite membership 3 months ago).

I’m really sorry for those who didn’t manage to get one. @Paul thanks for your comment about the queue on the day. I refreshed and boom I was into the queue. I was refreshing every 10-15 seconds anyway beforehand but I think you may have given me the kick 🦵 over the line. 

I’m a little bit “annoyed” at all the extra flippers that poured into the market which made it impossible for some old school regular buyers to miss out. Even @Paulwho missed out (I believe) was giving everyone with helpful tips on how to buy once passed the queue, how it works and to target your coin and get it in your basket and through to paid ASAP, so thanks @Paul for being an all round nice guy 👍🏻 

My experience was - I tried for a 2oz gold, couldn’t pay, panicked, went for a 5oz silver, couldn’t pay, panicked and then went for the 1oz silver. I think if I had stayed on the 5oz gold I would have came away with nothing. It eventually removed itself out of my basket  anyway after several attempts at paying (for the gold). Had I quit sooner I may have got the 5oz silver 🤷‍♂️

Just happy to have got one really. 😊 

AFBBF3A7-7020-440E-9E3C-3729AA8FE968.jpeg

782A51DE-E639-48E1-929B-BA0011A78C5B.jpeg

Are these tips in a thread somewhere from Paul?

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Are these tips in a thread somewhere from Paul?

Yes, but I have no idea where, sorry. There are various posts 😬 and long threads 😱 

Basically log in early and keep smashing refresh until the queue-it screen appears. I’ve always done this. Then leave it and wait for the screen to change automatically at 9am. It tells you not to refresh on the queue-it screen - so you don’t go back to the end of the queue. If it’s your turn and the screen didn’t change it says it was your turn at 9.05am at the bottom, that’s when you hit refresh again and you’ll get in.

Based on what we have heard in threads, queue-it it is less than a queue and more of a holding room and a staggered free for all / random entry system at 9am (think marathon start-off). 

Even if you by-pass the “queue” somehow, the Mint can see all those buyers who bought but did not not sit in the waiting area first. Then the purchase can be cancelled at the Mint’s discretion. Maybe some, not all, of the cancelled bids tried to bypass it? A cancel a day after taking payment could happen after a queue skip. It could also happen because they system was too slow to monitor remaking stock. Again, luck of the draw but it should still mean first to pay gets the coin.

Also, queue-it skippers are easily identifiable by Royal Mint so cheating  orders will be cancelled most definitely. Have a look at the queue-it website, it explains it there. Even if they let in say 500 at the start, there goes the gold. The first 500 could be anyone in the initial holding area of thousands.

It seems more luck of the draw after you’ve got to the website. Even if it’s in the basket it’s not yours until it’s been paid for and from my own experience I was trying too long to buy a gold that had already sold out. Then lost out on the 5oz silver and must have been lucky enough to get a silver 2oz.

Hope this helps. It’s all pretty much been discussed before. 👍🏻 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

So the going rate on fleabay seems to be around the 2k mark, maybe slightly above for a 2oz silver 3g. I wouldn't be willing to pay that if I didn't already have one.

Not sure if people are actually paying for the auctions they are winning. Judging by Britannia Coin company seemingly selling more than 10 so far for 2750 if their fluctuating stock levels, perhaps ifs true.

How do people think it will pan out over the medium term ? I think its near the peak and will be a bit lower in the coming months.

It seems to be doing better than una is currently, and personally I prefer that coin

2 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

So the going rate on fleabay seems to be around the 2k mark, maybe slightly above for a 2oz silver 3g. I wouldn't be willing to pay that if I didn't already have one.

Not sure if people are actually paying for the auctions they are winning. Judging by Britannia Coin company seemingly selling more than 10 so far for 2750 if their fluctuating stock levels, perhaps ifs true.

How do people think it will pan out over the medium term ? I think its near the peak and will be a bit lower in the coming months.

It seems to be doing better than una is currently, and personally I prefer that coin

I’m guessing it might dip a little in coming months.

Being only the 2nd in the series, surely it will go up as the series goes on??..

In the mean time, how concerned should we be my milking/toning?

8 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

9 Billion people in the world. 3,500 silver. Lots of millionaires and wealthy coin collectors. Once initial supply dries up medium term should do much better imho. This is not a “fad” 🪙 

Those who cannot find a gold, forget affording it, will go to silver. The graded ones are another rule unto themselves. Same story with those. When they dry up in supply in 6-9 months the value of them in 2 years time for those wanting to collecting the whole series will be much higher. Imagine starting to collect this series in year 3! You’ll really have to it then. 

Edited by MancunianStacker

Any thoughts on what might be next in the series? Seems like the first two will be hard to compete with as far as popularity goes. Are there really any other coins as impressive as Una and the Graces?

A lot have said Gothic Crown, which would be great, but how would they get around putting the current queen on the coin?

3 minutes ago, Altitudes said:

Any thoughts on what might be next in the series? Seems like the first two will be hard to compete with as far as popularity goes. Are there really any other coins as impressive as Una and the Graces?

A lot have said Gothic Crown, which would be great, but how would they get around putting the current queen on the coin?

With the story behind Pistrucci and his work on the Waterloo medal, Could that be released as a coin at some point? There's room for so much more in this series...

2 minutes ago, SilverJacks said:

With the story behind Pistrucci and his work on the Waterloo medal, Could that be released as a coin at some point? There's room for so much more in this series...

They could do a two coins Waterloo set. Imagine that chaos, collectors trying to get both coins (unless launches together). 

22 minutes ago, Altitudes said:

After all the stress from the three graces ain’t looking forward to the nxt one 😄

Oh wow, that Flora obverse is gorgeous. I don't know much about UK minting legislation but is it mandatory for the Queen Elizabeth to be on all newly minted coins? I guess it would still be amazing with her portrait on the reverse if they had to change something.

Quite new to UK/European numismatics and got drawn in the past year through Sovereigns. You guys have a few hundred more years of minting than we do so there really are quite a few beautiful designs.

If anyone cares to listen, here's what worked for me..

Logged on to RM around 6:45. Stayed logged in flicking between web pages every five minutes (it will kick you for idling if you just leave yourself logged in)

I'm not sure if that helped but around 8:45ish the screen automatically changed to Queue-it "we're releasing a new product" page. From there, i left it without hitting refresh once. somewhere around 8:58 maybe, screen automatically changed to a queue number with progress bar. I joined at somewhere around the 1150 number.

When I got on to the proper site, I was already logged out, so not sure if the pre-queueing from 6:45 helped or not.  All coins were still listed as available, although I doubt they actually were available. Golds were out my price range. Both silvers were in my sights but the 5oz 555 mintage just didn't feel right. Didn't believe in my chances. Played safe, straight for the 2 oz silver. I had one payment error, success on 2nd attempt.

When i went back to the main page, all coins were gone except the 2oz silver. I do wonder if I'd have succeeded with the 5oz but I'm not bothered at all. This was my first ever purchase with RM, just happy to be one of the lucky ones and got a coin. Feel for those that didn't but there's more to come, we can all go again on the next release.

15 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

They could do a two coins Waterloo set. Imagine that chaos, collectors trying to get both coins (unless launches together). 

Imagine... If demand wasn't crazy enough already...

Anyone wondering why they chose Una and 3g first instead of holding them back, could turn out to be a RM masterstroke. They have really peaked the interest from 1st coin and have so much more to choose from for the remainder