• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Three graces coin

1 minute ago, AndrewSL76 said:

My orders appear to be OK. It is just annoying that there has been no dispatch notice - but then again, managing expectations, we were initially told up to four weeks so I am going to just watch with joy as you all post pictures of the beautiful coins and I will wait for updates on my own order!

Thanks for the advice, Rich, well noted and appreciated.

I too have no dispatch notification for my Silver coins,  but the lady on the phone today confirmed my order is being processed and told me that the order will be dispatched in the next ‘day or two’. 

12 minutes ago, louisfinlay said:

My dispatch email was sent at 14.07 today and I found it in my junk email. My royal mi t emails never go to junk so its worth checking yours 

Cheers, Louis. A great bit of advice. I do get notifications when junk is received and so far nothing. I am not in any rush. They are just going to either gather dust in their boxes or go on holiday to America for a month!!! Either way, as soon as I have checked them I won’t see them again for a while.

42 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Yes do.  Or email them? It’s the only way you will definitely know- my email confirmation was 7 minutes past 9. 

Ahh see thats good time. I struggled to get my payment through my email wasn't until 09:15 which is why I'm not to confident but hey ho I'm still happy and enjoying all this either way 😂👍

23 minutes ago, Spence098 said:

Ahh see thats good time. I struggled to get my payment through my email wasn't until 09:15 which is why I'm not to confident but hey ho I'm still happy and enjoying all this either way 😂👍

My younger sons email confirmation for a 2oz silver was 09.17hrs and his is now Despatched

Edited by richatthecroft

1 hour ago, richatthecroft said:

I'm not quite sure which part of that you wanted an opinion on, but@

Thanks, I’ll have to pass on the offer 😂 

Good call, I'd have offered at least double!

He realizes now, that he was extremely lucky enough to purchase the Gold following my recommendation.

Correct!

He did so, rather than pulling the trigger on Bitcoin at a future dip. 

Was he thinking about buying or selling some Bitcoin?

His purchase wasn’t without incident though.
 It was his first purchase from the Royal Mint- he placed the order by his debit card and received email confirmation. 
However, on Tuesday The RM contacted him to say thank you for your order, but as it was a substantial first purchase they would require payment by Bank Transfer for ‘security reasons’ (bank transfer secure? 😂)- but any subsequent purchases could be made by Debit Card. He said what every other 24 year old might have to say, can you please take the £5k hold off my debit card and I’ll send it by Bacs?

That's more a banking / card company problem than PM related, but it does not surprise me. It's rather Catch-22.

It seems that RM only "tag" the card and payment, rather like hotels get a pre-authorisation on credit cards. We don't use this system, as we either take payment or we don't.

You can understand that the RM prefer to ensure the buyer is good for the money before they allocate the coin to him, and once "tagged" the bank would be reluctant to allow their customer to exceed their limit by permitting a double payment.

If the RM took payment, then failed to allocate a coin, their customers would be even less happy about having no money and no coin.

He could have tried asking his bank to help, but...

The reply from the RM was kind of with some merit, pointing out that if they did so, he might lose his order, and asked him to send another £5k! 🙄

A little disappointing the response from the RM, in my opinion. 

Not surprising, but the Customer Service team at the RM probably are not used to that kind of problem, and probably work off their script most of the time. If that happened with us, we would understand, and try to work a little more flexibly.

At this point he was concerned. 

Understandably!

So, he came to me with the explanation- I could only muster £3k right away, so at this point, I would like to thank @SilverMike for very generously sending my Son £2k over to add to my £3k to pay (again!) for the coin!  😊 Thank you again Mike for your help. 😀 

Just wait until he asks for his 40% of the coin!

The moral to the story is this- IF you have never bought a ‘substantial’ item from the RM previously and you have cash in your current account to pay for it, then don’t!- Use your Credit Card in the first instance and if this scenario occurs, you have the cash to pay! Or alternatively, have £10k available to buy a £5k coin.

You did say he used his debit card earlier.

He could have tried talking the his bank beforehand, it might have made some difference.

The other moral to the story is, always have nice relationships and friends in general 😃 and make good friendships with people here on the Forum, pull together and help each other- as you never know when you might need help  yourself. 😃 

That's a good moral. The other advice would include getting wealthier parents. 🙂

I really don’t think many other business could get away with this kind of behaviour- in fact, any other RM coin I would have advised my son  to tell them to take a running jump- but I guess this is a special coin, and the implication of not sending them double cash was worth the gamble of losing it!  
Most businesses would want to ensure their payment was solid, but most would not be in a monopoly position where they could be confident that they would sell out all 4500 +/- coins worth £11 million in 5 - 10 minutes.

Incidentally, my son has been told not to expect the hold to be taken from his account for the original £5k for ‘at least 5 working days’ beans on toast for him then 😂 

Very healthy, especially on wholemeal bread. At our house, we call it BoTTomS (Beans on Toast in Tomato Sauce)

@LawrenceChard, @BackyardBullion

I started this answer before lunch, but then a package arrived...

Chards

6 hours ago, GoldenGriffin said:

Mmmm, interesting.

Is the selling price, that's appeared under the Three Graces, what they're prepared to come down to!!?

1788884046_BCC3Graces-BUY-SELL.thumb.JPG.4d09613c0d6836e241ade11d63a76927.JPG

Think that’s what you can sell to them for 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

2 minutes ago, SilverDrum said:

For anyone thinking that you have to be a high rolling, long time buying, purchased by 9:01am, royal mint fan to get a coin. This is not who i am.

My first ever purchase was on Monday, was 3500 something in the queue, fumbled with my account as i wasn't even logged in on my phone, navigated the payment process, and confirmation email arrived at 9:13am. Dispatch email today without any aid of an "account manager" conversation. Blind luck is more like it, and i'm not sure it softens it for any one who didn't manage to purchase. Just for peace of mind that a first timer got one! 

Well done mate 👏

Still haven't had conformation or cancelled email yet and I'm exactly the same as you, first ever attempt to buy from RM so 🤞

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

Sorry Lawrence, I should have been more clear- but it was these points of my original post pertaining to the payment of my sons coin:

It was his first purchase from the Royal Mint- he placed the order by his debit card and received email confirmation. 
However, on Tuesday The RM contacted him to say thank you for your order, but as it was a substantial first purchase they would require payment by Bank Transfer for ‘security reasons’ (bank transfer secure? 😂)- but any subsequent purchases could be made by Debit Card. He said what every other 24 year old might have to say, can you please take the £5k hold off my debit card and I’ll send it by Bacs?

The reply from the RM was kind of with some merit, pointing out that if they did so, he might lose his order, and asked him to send another £5k! 🙄

Incidentally, my son has been told not to expect the hold to be taken from his account for the original £5k for ‘at least 5 working days’ beans on toast for him then 😂 

You've kind of answered to all of my original post in this response you made, and I've highlighted the important sentence:

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

Not surprising, but the Customer Service team at the RM probably are not used to that kind of problem, and probably work off their script most of the time. If that happened with us, we would understand, and try to work a little more flexibly.

The Royal Mint have a flawed system when they need to process £11 million pounds worth of stock in a few minutes.  But crucially, when mopping up the mess of the system, the most important tasks lie with the Customer Service Department and if they cannot listen and be reflexive to the Customers needs then the Royal Mint should think again about their processes and importantly, about their customers. 

I'm sure Lawrence, that you would expect your staff in a similar circumstance, to have listened and resolved the predicament my son was in by simply make assurances that the coin was allocated to him, perhaps asked him to upload some id. (the transaction was over £5k, so I guess the anti-money laundering twaddle applied) and then take the payment from the card used in the first place- or better still (profit wise) would be to take the hold off the card (it might take a while) and once the funds are returned, the Customer could send the funds via Bacs, but crucially, the coin would be allocated to the Customer.   

The ridiculous position the RM took in the first place of 'we need a bank transfer for security reasons' is absolute pie in the sky- how would a bank transfer make for a 'security' check? 

Edited by richatthecroft

51 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Sorry Lawrence, I should have been more clear- but it was these points of my original post pertaining to the payment of my sons coin:

However, on Tuesday The RM contacted him to say thank you for your order, but as it was a substantial first purchase they would require payment by Bank Transfer for ‘security reasons’ (bank transfer secure? 😂)- but any subsequent purchases could be made by Debit Card. He said what every other 24 year old might have to say, can you please take the £5k hold off my debit card and I’ll send it by Bacs?

The reply from the RM was kind of with some merit, pointing out that if they did so, he might lose his order, and asked him to send another £5k! 🙄

Incidentally, my son has been told not to expect the hold to be taken from his account for the original £5k for ‘at least 5 working days’ beans on toast for him then 😂 

You've kind of answered to all of my original post in this response you made, and I've highlighted the important sentence:

The Royal Mint have a flawed system when they need to process £11 million pounds worth of stock in a few minutes.  But crucially, when mopping up the mess of the system, the most important tasks lie with the Customer Service Department and if they cannot listen and be reflexive to the Customers needs then the Royal Mint should think again about their processes and importantly, about their customers. 

I'm sure Lawrence, that you would expect your staff in a similar circumstance, to have listened and resolved the predicament my son was in by simply make assurances that the coin was allocated to him, perhaps asked him to upload some id. (the transaction was over £5k, so I guess the anti-money laundering twaddle applied) and then take the payment from the card used in the first place- or better still (profit wise) would be to take the hold off the card (it might take a while) and once the funds are returned, the Customer could send the funds via Bacs, but crucially, the coin would be allocated to the Customer.   

The ridiculous position the RM took in the first place of 'we need a bank transfer for security reasons' is absolute pie in the sky- how would a bank transfer make for a 'security' check? 

No need to apologise, I was having fun answering all of it.

It might be a good idea, now he has the coin, to ask them precisely why, and tell them it caused considerable inconvenience, and see what they say.

Probably the main point is that a bank transfer becomes cleared funds when received, although BACS can take 2 or 3 days, whereas a debit card payment works differently, the recipient gets notified what payments are incoming, but these still don't get credited until a few days later. Also debit cards can be subject to recharge. It's slightly more detailed than that, but that's a good approximation. Credit cards are even less secure from the recipient's point of view.

The parcel that interrupted my answer:

Royal Mint Package

What's in it?

Edited by LawrenceChard
typo

Chards

3 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

No need to apologise, I was having fun anwering all of it.

It might be a good idea, now he has the coin, to ask them precisely why, and tell them it caused considerable inconvenience, and see what they say.

Probably the main point is that a bank transfer becomes cleared funds when received, although BACS can take 2 or 3 days, whereas a debit card payment works differently, the recipient gets notified what payments are incoming, but these still don't get credited until a few days later. Also debit cards can be subject to recharge. It's slightly more detailed than that, but that's a good approximation. Credit cards are even less secure from the recipient's point of view.

The parcel that interrupted my answer:

Royal Mint Package

What's in it?

Is it the Two Graces?

AE562EB8-E4EB-4FEC-9922-E0ADF8765DC4.jpeg

Looks like 5 ounces of graceful gold to me. ^^ 😅

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken