• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What is your favourite Queen Elizabeth II coin?

I really like that Platinum Jubilee coin design, both obverse and reverse.  I don't own an example but would be completely happy 'just' to have the £5 Brilliant Uncirculated cupro-nickel version in the RM packaging.

I sincerely hope that the RM keeps minting these because I would love one as a keepsake in my collection.

I will have to think about my actual favourite Queen Elizabeth II coin.  There are several strong contenders both from circulating currency, bullion and proof issues, and at the moment my answer might even be the 2018 10oz silver bullion Valiant coin.  I think it's a fantastic 'incuse' reverse design and it's a dazzling object in its own right.

Will have a further think and probably post up various photos later.

14 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I really like that Platinum Jubilee coin design, both obverse and reverse.  I don't own an example but would be completely happy 'just' to have the £5 Brilliant Uncirculated cupro-nickel version in the RM packaging.

I sincerely hope that the RM keeps minting these because I would love one as a keepsake in my collection.

I will have to think about my actual favourite Queen Elizabeth II coin.  There are several strong contenders both from circulating currency, bullion and proof issues, and at the moment my answer might even be the 2018 10oz silver bullion Valiant coin.  I think it's a fantastic 'incuse' reverse design and it's a dazzling object in its own right.

The Valiant is a great coin, unbelievable that it seems to have disappeared. The 10oz must be quite a piece to hold.

51 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I love that 2018 Valiant. The incuse is amazing. I love that Valiant series but no doubt the 2018 stands above the others.

6 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

The Platinum Jubilee crown is a great coin on both sides, but I like the Alderney QEII Una & Lion by Jody Clark even more, at least one side. That's a coin, you should never flip😅

20220126_121856.thumb.jpg.552f9fbd50a15d93f59d9c5f81ca4926.jpg

Yes, I bought the Alderney sovereign because I liked the design.

Sovereign-5.jpg

OK, I've had a good look at the Elizabeth II coins that I have in my own collection and my 'shortlist' is as follows:

Circulating currency coins

1953 nickel-brass threepence, with the portcullis reverse

1968 Decimal 10p with the crowned lion passant reverse

1973 EEC 50p

1989 Bill Of Rights and Claim Of Right £2 coins - I have a virtually uncirculated Bill Of Rights currency coin collected from change, and also the two-coin BU set in RM packaging, bought in 1989

2012 Handover to Rio £2 coin

2015 Magna Carta £2 coin (closest I have to a 1989 sovereign...)

2016 Britannia £2 coin

2017 Isaac Newton 50p

Bullion coins

The Gold Standard 1/4 oz gold bullion coin - my personal favourite year is 2020, because of the scales on the (edit) reverse and how the two '20' figures balance each other

2018 Two Dragons 1 oz gold (or silver) bullion coin

2018 Valiant 10 oz silver bullion coin

2021 Queen's Beasts Completer 1kg silver bullion coin

Brilliant Uncirculated coins

2017 five sovereign piece, echoing the 1817 gartered reverse design

2022 five sovereign piece in matte finish

That's my shortlist... 😉

Edited by Stuntman