• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint British Monarchs Collection

harrygill111

Thinking about it, if you happen to have the modern  2oz gold 3 Graces or the 2oz Gold Una, surely you'd want the 2 oz George III and/or 2oz Victoria (assuming YH) to go with them? it's the same idea as the recent Gothic release. Its an expanded Great Engravers release in my mind, some coins may not be as desirable as others but there will be quite a few key coins...

18 minutes ago, SilverMike said:

Thinking about it, if you happen to have the modern  2oz gold 3 Graces or the 2oz Gold Una, surely you'd want the 2 oz George III and/or 2oz Victoria (assuming YH) to go with them? it's the same idea as the recent Gothic release. Its an expanded Great Engravers release in my mind, some coins may not be as desirable as others but there will be quite a few key coins...

That may be true.  But equally, one could get the original coins with these portraits of George III and Victoria.  They can easily be found at decent prices.  I personally do not see the appeal of a modern restrike (just my personal preference).  I can get the appeal of the Great Engravers because the originals are either never for sale (original Three Graces) or completely out of budget.

That’s just my reasoning and justification for why I settled for the 1 Oz silver even though I was in early enough and could’ve got the larger silver denominations and the 1 Oz gold.

Glad for those who wanted the gold coins and managed to get them though.  I’ll be eager to see what they look like here and on YouTube. 🙂

Edited by westminstrel

14 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

That may be true.  But equally, one could get the original coins with these portraits of George III and Victoria.  I personally do not see the appeal of a modern restrike (just my personal preference).  I can get the appeal of the Great Engravers because the originals are either never for sale (original Three Graces) or completely out of budget.

That’s just my reasoning and justification for why I settled for the 1 Oz even though I was in early enough and couldn’t got the larger silver denominations and the 1 Oz gold.

Glad for those who wanted the gods coins and managed to get them. I’ll be eager to see what they look like here and on YouTube. 🙂

If the Great Engravers hadn't done so well, Id be 100% with you. But you aren't going to pick up a (gold or in some cases silver) big proof pre-1900 for much under 20k and then thats for a beaten up veiled head proof. Also the post 1900 ones are still a serious amount of money, 1902, 1911, 1937. There are obviously some of the early milled, guineas etc that are in proof but its a niche market... this release for me is about the alignment to the modern Sovereign, when they come around.

Edited by SilverMike

30 minutes ago, SilverMike said:

If the Great Engravers hadn't done so well, Id be 100% with you. But you aren't going to pick up a (gold or in some cases silver) big proof pre-1900 for much under 20k and then thats for a beaten up veiled head proof. Also the post 1900 ones are still a serious amount of money, 1902, 1911, 1937. There are obviously some of the early milled, guineas etc that are in proof but its a niche market... this release for me is about the alignment to the modern Sovereign, when they come around.

Cheers buddy.  If you like these and managed to get them, I’m happy for you. 🙂

4 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I got the 2oz Gold and Silver. Not sure whether will grade or not. Given the number graded already I think it retains some interest by retaining the FDC charm!

wasn't it the 1oz gold were slabbed in numbers? for me it wouldn't be worth grading the £100 with the limited presentation and all the slabs but maybe worth it for the £200

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

I wish they release those as regular bullion with relatively large (30k?) but limited mintage, something like Australian Lunar series. I'd be more than content with this, it would satisfy my collector's desire with stacking goal :)

I bet over time it would maintain some premium due to limited mintage, but wouldn't be too expensive to buy around the release.

19 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

wasn't it the 1oz gold were slabbed in numbers? for me it wouldn't be worth grading the £100 with the limited presentation and all the slabs but maybe worth it for the £200

and missing 500 coins not sold as 'limited edition' by RM...

To be honest, I haven't seen slabbed coins in real, but from the photos I think they're ugly. Does anyone prefers them to just capsules?

Appearently, this series came about due to a collbaration with a partner. The reason for the graded slab to show up on NGC yesterday and 1oz gold were limit 100 in limited presention was because as part of the collaboration agreement, 500 out of the 600 one ounce would be sent directly to the partner, and they would grade them, seemingly this would be the case for all of the coins in the series,this is only the case for the one ounce though.

Apperently, another part of the agreement is that a certain proption of the coins must be PF70 for the partner. Well, I guess royal mint does know how to QC after all if them can agree that sort of terms!!

Edited by Jeremyzed
typo

8 minutes ago, iwanek said:

and missing 500 coins not sold as 'limited edition' by RM...

To be honest, I haven't seen slabbed coins in real, but from the photos I think they're ugly. Does anyone prefers them to just capsules?

I won't not be surprised if the extra 500 have all been sent in for grading and will all be available exclusively via one or two dealers.

We will have to wait a few weeks for the NGC population reports to come through, I'm looking now and these aren't on there.

Not a fan of this to be honest, basically flooding the market with PF70's 

I would be more of a fan of buying a PF70 direct from the mint for coin + grading fee and a small handing fee for the mints efforts, but from dealers it means possibly hiked prices.

Seems like the key coin (for gold at least) would be the 2 oz gold and not the 1 oz. 

This is a shame because the price difference is enormous and over a 21 coin series it makes the eyes water.

More opinions to be shared in due course, when I see my silver in the flesh 😜

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

8 minutes ago, Samcrewsilverlover said:

Signed in and was number 18 in the queue..I nearly fell out of bed..😯😯🥳

Why where you still in bed😅

Get you're point though ,as was my earliest number ever.

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

51 minutes ago, dikefalos said:

990€ the 2 OZ... Looks like european dealers have no mercy with us

https://www.silber-sammler.de/de/detail/index/sArticle/1808

And you can take the continuity option. Anyone interested investing 20k in 42 OZ of silver? 

That's a complete rip off....you can have mine for €950 and free postage....just contact me at idsellanycoin.co.uk

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

On 21/01/2022 at 23:54, westminstrel said:

Looking at these pictures some more and thinking about it, it seems very likely (to me) that these coins, at least their reverse sides, will not have typical mirrored fields like modern proofs.

The picture definitely shows everything having the same finish - the fields, the portrait, and the inscription.  I can definitely see the difference between the rim of the coins, which have the typical mirrored proof finish, compared to the inner designs, which do not.

Also, I spent my Friday night doing some fun research…

I believe there was no concept of “proof” coins with mirrored vs frosted finishes in 1489; and it was not until 1746 that the first proof set was issued during the reign of George II. Although there exists “specimen” coins  from Elizabeth I’s reign in 1558 - 1603. Specimens are not necessarily proofs, and the early milled specimens were not. 

So anyway, if the RM’s intent is to create a close reproduction of these hammered coins, edge flaws included (as can be seen from the picture), the finish probably won’t be a typical modern proof finish.

I could be completely wrong - but there we have it. 😅

If nothing else, I guess I was right about the finish. 😆

I don't know how everyone is keeping up with these. I really like the coin but I'm tapped out on my coin buying. Any sort of downturn or slow down will wreck this new royal mint business model I believe. I have more than one hobby sadly and this is getting a bit much.