• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Great Engravers 2021 - Gothic Crown information

Also, now that I see the pictures of the reverse and obverse, I’m glad they didn’t do a gothic portrait of QE II.

Yes it looks cool and all on the Alderney version, but to me, numismatically and historically it has no significance, and I think it would take away from William Wyon’s Queen Victoria gothic portrait, which is really the main point of this release.

To me it would be akin to having a portrait of QE II in a veil because she’s a widow - I know this was suggested but it never made sense to me to try and mirror QV’s portraits on QE II.

IMO QV’s portraits tell their own story of her life and times (gothic portrait included).

That’s just my opinion anyway.

6 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Yeah I think you could be right especially in the larger sizes since I believe there was no subscription for those?

A lot of people were lucky to go for the subscription in the 2oz silver but a lot weren't so there will inevitably be a lot of broken sets out there. I suppose some will favour one design over the other so that may help to balance things out but yeah... it'll be rarer for sure to see the two of them together again especially in the larger sizes.

Agree mate it has potential for being a right mess, only thing people could to is agree to make a set between themselves and sell as a set. Getting any of these is a win but having an obverse in one size and a different size reverse would not do my OCD any good😂😂😂😀

11 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Yeah I think you could be right especially in the larger sizes since I believe there was no subscription for those?

A lot of people were lucky to go for the subscription in the 2oz silver but a lot weren't so there will inevitably be a lot of broken sets out there. I suppose some will favour one design over the other so that may help to balance things out but yeah... it'll be rarer for sure to see the two of them together again especially in the larger sizes.

The fella from the RM that rang me took 20 minutes to do my order .

I believe there was a continuation set for both the 2oz and 5oz silver.

The guy didn't know what he was doing. As he was taking so long, I said just get the singles please before they are all gone.

Anyway, I don't have continuation sets for anything, and will be going out of my way to make sure that I get what I need on launch day. That will be a challenge undoubtedly as there will be less available next time around.

7 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

The fella from the RM that rang me took 20 minutes to do my order .

I believe there was a continuation set for both the 2oz and 5oz silver.

The guy didn't know what he was doing. As he was taking so long, I said just get the singles please before they are all gone.

Anyway, I don't have continuation sets for anything, and will be going out of my way to make sure that I get what I need on launch day. That will be a challenge undoubtedly as there will be less available next time around.

I certainly wish you and anyone else who only got the singles luck come the day in March. It is certainly going to be a stressful morning given the numbers that will be on offer with likely even more people fighting for them.

7 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Was there no continuity option for the 10 Oz silver then?

I only saw the one listing for the 10oz silver but did not call in to order. Does anyone who placed a phone order for the 10oz know if a continuity option was offered?

2 minutes ago, Altitudes said:

I only saw the one listing for the 10oz silver but did not call in to order. Does anyone who placed a phone order for the 10oz know if a continuity option was offered?

Not that I remember.

21 hours ago, apachebleu said:

I have a 2oz single and continuity...I panicked today when my orders didn't seem to be going through and made multiple orders. The lady I spoke to told me that they will probably both go through as they are different product codes but we'll see

Oh well....called the mint again today to check as I'd still not had an email after my call yesterday.

Well it turns out I'm not getting the gold after all, it was already sold out but the site hadn't updated quick enough. Still, it's money saved I suppose and I did get the silver double set so can't really complain.

2 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

Oh well....called the mint again today to check as I'd still not had an email after my call yesterday.

Well it turns out I'm not getting the gold after all, it was already sold out but the site hadn't updated quick enough. Still, it's money saved I suppose and I did get the silver double set so can't really complain.

😤😤😤😤😤😤 that's just horrible. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

39 minutes ago, NewCoins said:

Not that I remember.

There is a continuation for the 10oz.

19 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

Sorry to hear this. This happened for people with the Three Graces too. You would think they would have sorted things out a year later...

9 minutes ago, James32 said:

😤😤😤😤😤😤 that's just horrible. 

You know what, I feel surprisingly OK about it, there's plenty of people who would do indecent things for the 2 coin silver 2oz set I did get. 

I am a bit miffed that I had such a low queue number, about 230 I think and that was all I could get....I doubt there was ever much actually for public sale...but whatever.

I did have a chat with the lad on the phone though, he said yesterday was terrible, seemingly the staff were getting some awful abuse over the phone from people who missed out which is poor form.

I suppose its interesting to see a hobby considered by most to be super genteel turning people in to total savages....guess the hype around this coin was more intense than I realised!!!

2 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

You know what, I feel surprisingly OK about it, there's plenty of people who would do indecent things for the 2 coin silver 2oz set I did get. 

I am a bit miffed that I had such a low queue number, about 230 I think and that was all I could get....I doubt there was ever much actually for public sale...but whatever.

I did have a chat with the lad on the phone though, he said yesterday was terrible, seemingly the staff were getting some awful abuse over the phone from people who missed out which is poor form.

I suppose its interesting to see a hobby considered by most to be super genteel turning people in to total savages....guess the hype around this coin was more intense than I realised!!!

Yeah I'm really grateful now after reading all the comments,that i secured the silver also. 

Well 🤞 as I was one of the last to buy at 1020 something in the queue and may end up with zero due to some oversight 🤷‍♂️ 

Not worried or disheartened though as yesterday is gone and what will be will be.

Edited by James32

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

3 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

The majority of collectors I have spoken to are philosophical about the sales even when frustrated and disappointed about the process and outcomes. I have also seen isolated examples of some collectors and dealers being ruthless and it being dog eat dog and in some cases throwing wild accusations around.

I can understand the frustrations but the people in customer services are just the route in to an organisation not the decision makers, IT, marketing or quality control departments. Customer Service generally have a thankless role in the organisation as they fix the problems or shield others from the anger and frustrations when customers are not pleased. Very rarely does shouting at them change the outcome or filter anything to the top. I personally feel sorry for them when things don’t go well and would be interested if they do have a route to report feedback to other departments and ensure lessons are taken on-board.

The Great Engravers series has created hype and frustrations the likes I have never seen before 

On 06/12/2021 at 04:57, westminstrel said:

Thanks for this information.

Looks like they haven’t distinguished between the mintages of the plain and grained edges. In fact, they haven’t even mentioned anything about these variations.

Meanwhile, this caught my breath…

“The mint will also offer special sets, which will contain one of each issue, along with an original 1847 coin. Honestly, if you can afford it, that will be a coin collector’s dream. A fine release, but one that many simply won’t be able to own, and that’s a shame.”

Honestly, it's a minefield trying to stay on top of it. We had an embargo of just after midnight, so I thought it's better to go with all the information we had and give as many people as possible, as much information as possible, as early as we could. There's zero in the press pack about a plain edged variant, but we are looking for clarification.

16 minutes ago, AgAuNEWS said:

Honestly, it's a minefield trying to stay on top of it. We had an embargo of just after midnight, so I thought it's better to go with all the information we had and give as many people as possible, as much information as possible, as early as we could. There's zero in the press pack about a plain edged variant, but we are looking for clarification.

Thanks for that clarification. If it weren’t for some of the Mint Marque members here mentioning it, no one would’ve known the plain edge variant even existed.

I’ve PMed you by the way. 🙂

41 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

This makes me so sad. I’ve chatted with Royal Mint’s CS at times and they’ve been nothing but courteous and helpful.

It’s genuinely sad if they’ve been subject to abuse by some entitled folk. 

3 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

If you get both coins in hand it will put the Gothic on a whole different level IMO.

I did get both ordered. I realize until I have them in hand that means nothing. But just wanted to see if it’s tradable for one of the earlier coins in the series.

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

My 2oz gold 'plain-edge' & order reference has appeared in my Open orders :) Goody goody ! :) 

Hopefully the RM additional +£255 "exclusivity tax" will be worth it in the long run

£5,250 RRP for it   

Jeez, makes you think how far your stacking journey has come, was only five years or so ago, i was buying 1/10's krugerrands 

IMG_2535.JPG

That's going to be the coin to have in the future.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024